Football Programmes Centre

Definition of a Glory Hunter!
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Definition of a Glory Hunter!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenred

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:54 pm 
Post subject: Definition of a Glory Hunter!

Is a Glory hunter a fan who latches on to a Successful team?
Or is a glory hunter a supporter who wants his or her club to win a trophy?Maybe the term applies to a supporter who latches on to a successful club?
I have got to say as a Manchester United supporter of 5 decades +.when I first saw the Reds as a boy, Uniteds" Busby Babes" were just about forming .
Uniteds young team were to win 2 titles,reach an FA CUP,and glory beckoned.I chose to support the club through thick and thin.I was lucky in my choice I suppose when I look back at the trophies United won .The crowds in the 50s were 50000 + at Old Trafford.All glory hunters? No,I cant believe that,maybe more since those days but.mainly
they saw good football and the good fortune to see some silverware.Its been mainly like that especially since the early 90s.Certainly some jump on the bandwagon all clubs have that like Foxes1 points out .A whiff of success ,and the crowds increase,and that is football .In the main some fans are fickle ,and some loyal to the bitter end.Tell me one fan who doesnt revel in a Cup , or Championship trophy being held aloft,or even have that dream.When the moments gone .we reminisce with a programme from the Final ,or championship clinching match.
Every club cannot be successful,and I really admire the fans of the clubs who never get to experience "glory"but still turn up week in ,week out.The true test of a fan is when hard ,unsuccessful times prevail.Leeds fans unfortunately have suffered this ,and yet they still give really good support.They too must yearn for the "glory" days.Again I pose the question what is a Glory hunter?
foxes1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:19 pm 
Post subject:

I think you hit the nail on the head with your opening statement
"Is a Glory hunter a fan who latches on to a Successful team?"
Which these days this is all to easy to do especially with TV and the amount of games shown on them and the bias towards certain teams, lets face it gone are the days when people especially youngsters went down to see their local team especially if a match is on TV Sat lunchtime or early evening, they see a so called big club on the TV and naturally attach themselves to that club. I know that my kids were brought up to support Leicester (Only as a punishment for mis-behaving) and they still do and I will do my best to make sure my first grandchild due in June will as well.
I will always support my local team if in the Premiership or the Championship or whatever other lge.
Wullie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:26 pm 
Post subject:

Certainly NOT me...... Very Happy Very Happy
matt blue

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:27 pm 
Post subject:

the glory fans of south wales really annoy to be honest, how someone can get excited over a team some 200 miles away, never gone to a game and live for sky tv is beyond me !! give me my local team anyday Ayatollah
TelfordWolves

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:34 pm 
Post subject:

Glory Hunter

1.will often choose a big club which is guaranteed of years at the top bracket of clubs
2. have no connection to the club
3. foreign to the country and city of the club
4. will overuse club mottos (which makes it more evident)
5. never been to many games (if not any)
6. will never go many games ever
7. will use the excuse of geography to not go to games
8. have limited merchandise before the successful years (most likely none)
9. does not know the history, chants or culture of the club
10. always in the armchair during matchdays
11. uses the talk of tactics and transfers to compensate for the lack of all round knowledge of the club (history and culture of the clubs, attendance of games, lack of knowledge or care factor about the direction of the club off field etc.)
12. will not be effected by football tragedies as much as locals
13. will often be the most biased towards to compensate for the glory hunter status
14. will show more hate for other clubs to compensate for their glory hunter status
15. have a club in their own country, don't have the guts to support them
16. will never talk about the years before the club started to become successful
17. at games (if attended) will be the quiet ones who never chant or make a noise
Kickoff3pm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:55 pm 
Post subject:

It's nothing new, nearly 45 years ago I went to school with kids who used to support whoever won the FA cup that year. That sounds odd concidering how the media think the FA cup is dead.

Roman Abramovich and these Arab bods must be the prime examples. I would absolutly hate it if West Brom became a richman's hobby.

I've said more then once I would turn my back on football at that time. To be honest with fairies on the pitch now my love for the game is hanging from a thread as it is.

Watched Arsenal today and for his undoubted talent I couldn't enjoy Fabregas's performance as he throw himself on the floor at least 3 times in the first half. The game just makes me angry today.
TelfordWolves

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:00 am 
Post subject:

Kickoff3pm wrote:
It's nothing new, nearly 45 years ago I went to school with kids who used to support whoever won the FA cup that year. That sounds odd concidering how the media think the FA cup is dead.

Roman Abramovich and these Arab bods must be the prime examples. I would absolutly hate it if West Brom became a richman's hobby.

I've said more then once I would turn my back on football at that time. To be honest with fairies on the pitch now my love for the game is hanging from a thread as it is.

Watched Arsenal today and for his undoubted talent I couldn't enjoy Fabregas's performance as he throw himself on the floor at least 3 times in the first half. The game just makes me angry today.

You are right about fairies player's are now wearing neck scarf's No
Kickoff3pm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:04 am 
Post subject:

TelfordWolves wrote:
Kickoff3pm wrote:

You are right about fairies player's are now wearing neck scarf's No

Don't get me started Shake
stodin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:15 am 
Post subject:

Reading the thread about best supported teams and then this one compels me to bring up the glory hunting bandwaggon jumpers at non league level.

My team (Hucknall town) averaged about 350 at home. When we reached the FA Trophy final a few years ago we took 5,000 'fans' to the final!! many of whom stated that they came to watch us in the league.

I dont mind the bandwaggoners so long as a few of them carry on coming when the glory day has gone, but our 1st home game the following season saw a crowd of 320ish.
Tigerhawk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:58 pm 
Post subject:

Yes I know what you mean, we suddenly had an extra 5,000 fans at Liverpool, But I wished they had left their Pompey shirts at home.

It really pissed me off when the TV were interviewing so called Havant fans in Pompey shirts when you had real Havant fans nearby in their Hawks shirts.
Kickoff3pm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:08 pm 
Post subject:

I don't mind the people who suddenly decide they fans to follow a decent cup. That brings in cash for the club, at least in the short term. But the people I can't stand are those who never go to games and have never bothered to follow a team at all. But like to stop you in the street to tell you how well "their team" on the telly the other.
Superajm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:22 pm 
Post subject:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AM-GLO.....amp;sr=8-1

We had this bloke following us for a short while this season.
stodin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:31 am 
Post subject:

I remember the days when Notts had a run of playing at Wembley, a Couple of Anglo-Italian cup finals and 3-4 play off finals. There were as many Forest fans there as Notts fans.
Kickoff3pm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:50 am 
Post subject:

Perhaps a better term for these pair are gloryhole hunter Smile

"Former Birmingham City owners David Gold and David Sullivan have taken control of West Ham"

Goud help the hammers, are they not known as a family club ?
westyorksnffc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:04 am 
Post subject:

I'm going to jump in with my ten-penneth now!

My missus is a Forest fan, she was born and brought up in Bradford and both her and her family are massive sports fans, well in to their cricket, Rugby League and Union, and even American Football, now when she was a teen in the mid to late eighties she wanted a football team to support, being from Bradford she couldn't support Leeds, and the rest of the teams in Yorkshire weren't doing particularly well either, she liked the colour red and so looked to see what was close to her - Man Utd and Liverpool, both of which were too near Lancashire for her liking so she thought she'd follow Forest as this was the next nearest decent team in red.

in the late eighties she started going to Forest home games, her dad would take her until she reached 18 in 1989, then as time went on she got a season ticket (roughly 1993) and started going to away games too, she met quite a few Forest fans in the Yorkshire area by going to games on the train, some of whom are still very good friends today, she spent her student loan watching Forest in Europe in 1995/96 going to watch us at Malmo, Auxerre, Lyon and Munich.

In August 2001 Forest played away to Barnsley, I got kicked out of a pub after the game because one of the locals spotted my Forest shirt under my jacket so decided to get an earlier train. Once on the train I started talking to this lass, she was a Forest fan, she'd been to the game and was heading back to Derby where she was at Uni again doing a nursing degree (she was actually at Nottm Uni but they sent her to Derby for some unknown reason), and the rest they say history as over 8 years on we are now married with a 13 month old boy.

Now in many ways yes, she was a glory hunter, Forest when she chose us were regular third place finishers in the top flight, were going to Wembley that many times it was like a second home, we had a team full of England internationals (Pearce, Walker, Webb, Hodge, Clough and er...Gary Charles!!!), and of course a certain Mr Clough was still very much in his pomp, but even when we got relegated from the top flight in 93, 97 and 99, and spent three horrible, horrible years in League One, she stuck by us.

From my point of view it's great, I'm married to a fellow Tricky Tree, and I don't get moaned at when I go to the football, or buy our little lad something else from the club shop, but what it does prove is that you don't need to be from the place of the team you support - as long as you go and watch them.

Incidently I happen to know no end of Forest fans from outside of Nottingham, some have no affiliation with the City or the club whatsoever, some have never lived in Nottingham but their families were from Nottingham or were Forest fans, and some did jump on the bandwagon in the late 70's, some because we were successful and some because of Brian. These people that I know, and I would say they number well over a couple of hundred, go to the games, pay their money, and have as much right as somebody from Nottingham to claim to be Forest fans.

Forest programme guide: www.nottinghamforestprogrammes.weebly.com (a steady working progress, any help or advice gratefully accepted!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
ForestMick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:36 pm 
Post subject:

I know your mrs Craig, and she has more than served her time following Forest. The reasons we all support our teams can be very different, but support is the key word, and if you look at TelfordWolves definition, I think he has it spot on. If you look at it, it says something about never attending games.
efcbluenose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:34 pm 
Post subject:

mt defination of a glory hunter

1.anyone who supports man united from 1992 onwards
2.anyone who supports chelsea from 2004 onwards.
3.any fans of those clubs who cant remember when they were shite.simple.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Wants List
Molineux Phil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:00 pm 
Post subject: Anything goes Chit chat.

efcbluenose wrote:
mt defination of a glory hunter

1.anyone who supports man united from 1992 onwards
2.anyone who supports chelsea from 2004 onwards.
3.any fans of those clubs who cant remember when they were shite.simple.
A guy in work once told me that Chelsea or was it Arsenal had an attendance of under 8,000 for a First Division game in the 70s ........... but i think he was winding me up?.
efcbluenose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:55 pm 
Post subject:

i think phil hes right on the chelsea one definatly.i think chelsea when strugglin in old div 2 back in early 80s when they was brink of relegation to old div 3 played to under 8,000.as for arsenal not sure on that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Wants List
Healing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:12 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Mate Are the postal strikes still on.The Oldham programme you promised 4 months ago still hasnt arrived.Keep me posted.Cheers
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: