Football Programmes Centre

Done up like a kipper
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Done up like a kipper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackjack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:44 pm 
Post subject: Done up like a kipper

With the sad news of 2 of our own sadly passing away this week, RIP Mark and Bob, I have had great conversations with Mark previously and Bob seemed a top bloke, I would like to bring this sites members attention and hopefully some info on a alleged collector / dealer who has stitched me up.

Through all the years of collecting I have never been conned into paying for programmes and not receiving them as our hobby has some top people. Well it has happened and I'm fuming.
The person contacted me through a facebook programme collecting page, I can't remember which 1, asking what Swans programmes i need and after sending him a list he said he had some. He asked for £60 but he didnt have paypal so could I pay it into his account ( I know I'm a bloody idiot)
3 months later no programmes and after a couple of months of saying he had to wait for his benefits blah blah hes either deleted or blocked me.

Someone else has been done on the page to with the same name
So do not buy any programmes from ANDREW ASHMORE who claims to be a Preston fan and any info on him would be much appreciated

Happy Christmas to you all and your families
grantham

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:08 pm 
Post subject:

That name is blocked on many of the groups for exactly the reason you described. He approached many collectors stating he had exactly what they needed and the only way he could accept payment was direct into his mates account.

Just to re-iterate the point, NEVER do a bank transfer to someone you don't know or trust. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is, this bloke has conned or at least try to con several people in several groups
Ron Saunders 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:53 pm 
Post subject:

No consolation, but he tried to stiff me. Asked for £60 for over 100 Villa tickets from the 70's. I did smell a rat and so called his bluff by saying that I'd drive to Preston to pick them up and then out came all the excuses about why I should just pay him.

He's not a dealer or collector. He's a con man in my experience
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:40 pm 
Post subject:

Just a warning to one and all - he's still at it.
Managed to con £40 out of me just before Xmas.
50+ years in the hobby and that's my first time. Ah well.

Wish I'd done a bit of checking on here before I sent the cash!
It's not the money - I take full responsibility for that using the "caveat emptor" principle - it's more irritation at myself for falling for the carrot dangled in front of me.
He then sent me another message with even better stuff "for sale" - at least I'd the sense not to agree to that till the original non-existent purchase arrived.

I remember telling myself "probably a con but what if it isn't?"

I guess if he finds a dozen mugs like me then it's a nice little earner?

Just beware, one and all. ANDREW ASHMORE - just to reiterate the original message. He goes under "Andrew James" on Messenger.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:00 am 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
Just a warning to one and all - he's still at it.
Managed to con £40 out of me just before Xmas.
50+ years in the hobby and that's my first time. Ah well.

Wish I'd done a bit of checking on here before I sent the cash!
It's not the money - I take full responsibility for that using the "caveat emptor" principle - it's more irritation at myself for falling for the carrot dangled in front of me.
He then sent me another message with even better stuff "for sale" - at least I'd the sense not to agree to that till the original non-existent purchase arrived.

I remember telling myself "probably a con but what if it isn't?"

I guess if he finds a dozen mugs like me then it's a nice little earner?

Just beware, one and all. ANDREW ASHMORE - just to reiterate the original message. He goes under "Andrew James" on Messenger.

What is his modus operandi?
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:36 am 
Post subject:

Sounds to me like the very simple one of finding mad keen collectors who have longstanding items they need for their collection then claiming to have them. People are so excited they have filled that gap (because as a collector you always hope that elusive item is out there and one day you will get it) that they don't process carefully that it could be a scam, the excitement takes over.

Take care peeps.
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:04 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Dorking been contacted by a guy called ANDREW James on Facebook says he has two Kettering programmes I have been looking for for years seams very sus to me his posts to me r very vague think he is just waiting for me to send he some money keeps saying he deffo has them but having trouble locating them at the mo will message me when he finds them ,asked him for photos all gone a bit quite ....I am reckoning it is the same guy.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:11 pm 
Post subject:

Just had a reply from him - here it is verbatim:

"I've been ill pal I'll get it sorted for you pal"

I have his bank details - may drop a letter to his branch letting them know who they're dealing with.
colchestersid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:27 pm 
Post subject:

I recently had a "not received" claim for one of my eBay sales (64 Charity Shield)

It was sent 1st Class Signed For but the tracking never progressed so the buyer claimed it "wasn't received"

I'm 99% sure he was lying and was just gaming the system to get a freebie

Anyway I refunded his £56 and got refunded £53 myself by Royal Mail so not really out of pocket but --- every communication from him was a one liner and every time he called me "pal" --- maybe the same guy?
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:06 am 
Post subject:

colchestersid wrote:
I recently had a "not received" claim for one of my eBay sales (64 Charity Shield)

It was sent 1st Class Signed For but the tracking never progressed so the buyer claimed it "wasn't received"

I'm 99% sure he was lying and was just gaming the system to get a freebie

Anyway I refunded his £56 and got refunded £53 myself by Royal Mail so not really out of pocket but --- every communication from him was a one liner and every time he called me "pal" --- maybe the same guy?

Yes Colchester every one liner reply to me ends in pal has to be the same guy ....he has gone very quiet on me at the after me asking for photos etc.
ndg1860

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:30 am 
Post subject:

What is interesting is that we all know who it is and his MO, but we never do anything about it (me included). He is committing wire fraud, which is punishable in the UK by anything from a fine to 20 years or both. Would the police do anything about him? I rather think they have more pressing matters to deal with.

So, it is up to us to continue to try and warn as many as possible of these people.
Blackjack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:14 pm 
Post subject:

the guy that did me kept calling me pal, numerous times so keep well away guys
Rafc1968

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:36 am 
Post subject: Done Up Like A Kipper

I have recently had a dealing with this Clown and sussed hime pretty much straight away.
I posted my wants list from thes last few seasons on a F/Book Wants group and by a miracle he had a lot of the ones I wanted.
Now the alarm bells rang straight away as he was pal this and pal that.
Anyway cutting a long story short the required pictures of the items I wanted never appeared (Suprise Suprise).
Blocked immediately.
Be carfuel out there folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: