Football Programmes Centre

Trouble ahead for free Flickr users
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Trouble ahead for free Flickr users

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:25 pm 
Post subject: Trouble ahead for free Flickr users

https://petapixel.com/2018/11/01/flickr-limits-free-plan-to-1000-photos-upgrades-pro-members/

Anyone had any notification of this?

If you’re a Flickr free member who already has over 1,000 photos in your account, you have until January 8th, 2019, to download photos over the 1,000 limit. After that date, you will no longer be able to upload new photos to Flickr. And after February 5th, 2019, Flickr will begin deleting files that are over your 1,000 photo/video limit, starting from oldest to newest, until your account contains only 1,000 files.
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:44 pm 
Post subject:

Well here one that will not going pro......

so if anyone wants to download any match reports off my flickr page

now the time to do it

Mine of course are backed up to hard disc, just e mail me & I,ll help you out, no problem.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:54 pm 
Post subject:

Reading the Flickr forums, it's not going down very well.

I'm faced with basically shutting down my page or coughing up $50 a year for about 5gb of usage. Not exactly VFM.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:41 pm 
Post subject:

I doubt server space is the issue - more likely someone at board level sees an untapped revenue stream.

Doesn't being with BT for internet provision provide the subscriber with a certain amount of space on Flickr? If so, I wonder how that squares with this change of direction.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:01 am 
Post subject:

Being a Flickr Pro member does not cost that much as the fees were always based on a 2 year time frame, so at the end of it I may pay 40 quid a year-so why is that such a problem, even if it is a bit more?, after all 78p a week is no biggie-is it?

As collectors the Red Mist descends on a regular basis so if you are wishing to have your pride n joy out there, the old adage of "No free lunches" will soon apply.

Lastly, in my umble opinion it is a small price to pay for a worldwide coverage that gives a lot of interested folk out there an insight into what has been available over the years plus there is a lot of satisfaction in setting it all up despite it is a slog for sure.

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:32 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
I doubt server space is the issue - more likely someone at board level sees an untapped revenue stream.

Doesn't being with BT for internet provision provide the subscriber with a certain amount of space on Flickr? If so, I wonder how that squares with this change of direction.

Hi Steve, I am with BT Internet and a long time ago there was something re Flickr especially prior to Yahoo coming on the scene, but I think Yahoo binned it all from memory-could be wrong Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
stevemcd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:03 pm 
Post subject:

Disappointing for sure.

I've got almost everything saved so will start again somewhere else.

I'll leave my stuff up until they start to delete then I'll shut account down.

cheers all

Steve McD
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:34 pm 
Post subject:

stevemcd wrote:
Disappointing for sure.

cheers all

Steve McD

Is their anywhere else?-i doubt it[other than Instagram], you could set up your own independant website.

Also, the Football Programme Cover www may get affected as there is a link to Flickr?? who knows if u leave Flickr?.
30,000 images on at the moment from 229 collectors https://flic.kr/g/7MMVT NEED MORE COLLECTORS TO SIGN ON-costs nowt but it is aligned to a Flickr account.

Thumbs Up Wave

bluejames

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:19 pm 
Post subject:

stevemcd wrote:
Disappointing for sure.

cheers all

Steve McD

Not sure why you are disappointed.They spend time and money to allow you the ability to show off what you have and admire what others have.
They charge you absolutely nothing for a long time to give the site a chance and now,when they charge you the price of a packet of crisps a week,you are disappointed and some folk are downright upset.Not sure what you think you should get for nothing.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:32 pm 
Post subject:

I think the problem here for us free users is three-fold, for me it is anyway;

1) A meagre 1,000 photo limit with forced deletion if you have more than that for existing users.

2) Only option is to go full Pro, there is no incremental options in recognition of the fact some users don't use a lot of space. I for example use less than 1% of the free 1TB of capacity. I'm hardly a drain on their resources.

3) Doubling of cost for a Pro account from $25 to $50

Now I don't expect something for nothing, I'm happy to pay a cost relevant to what I use, but neither do I like being flung over a barrel and on the end of a threat to delete well over half my images if I don't cough up. That's no way to win friends.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:58 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
I think the problem here for us free users is three-fold, for me it is anyway;

1) A meagre 1,000 photo limit with forced deletion if you have more than that for existing users.

2) Only option is to go full Pro, there is no incremental options in recognition of the fact some users don't use a lot of space. I for example use less than 1% of the free 1TB of capacity. I'm hardly a drain on their resources.

3) Doubling of cost for a Pro account from $25 to $50

Now I don't expect something for nothing, I'm happy to pay a cost relevant to what I use, but neither do I like being flung over a barrel and on the end of a threat to delete well over half my images if I don't cough up. That's no way to win friends.

Graeme

They are not out to win friends, it is a worldwide conglomerate looking to pull in what they feel is theirs, they own the platform and so you have to pay the rent or find a bit of cardboard and sit on it with a paper cup[and get a dog for the sympathy vote]

I am not being harsh or neither am I not listening to you but it does not matter one iota if you have 4 photos on or 994 or 40,000-there is a cost to pay and if you feel like all your hard work and efforts are not worth 70 odd pence a week then you must do what you feel is right surely.

Regards
Love
Wave

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:59 pm 
Post subject:

bluejames wrote:
stevemcd wrote:
Disappointing for sure.

cheers all

Steve McD

Not sure why you are disappointed.They spend time and money to allow you the ability to show off what you have and admire what others have.
They charge you absolutely nothing for a long time to give the site a chance and now,when they charge you the price of a packet of crisps a week,you are disappointed and some folk are downright upset.Not sure what you think you should get for nothing.

I have to say your comments in reply to the other member can only be considered a 100% accurate.

Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:04 pm 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:

Graeme

They are not out to win friends, it is a worldwide conglomerate looking to pull in what they feel is theirs, they own the platform and so you have to pay the rent or find a bit of cardboard and sit on it with a paper cup[and get a dog for the sympathy vote]

I am not being harsh or neither am I not listening to you but it does not matter one iota if you have 4 photos on or 994 or 40,000-there is a cost to pay and if you feel like all your hard work and efforts are not worth 70 odd pence a week then you must do what you feel is right surely.

Regards
Love
Wave

I fully understand the reasoning behind it Leslie, having recently purchased Flikr from Yahoo, SmugMug are looking to maximise their income but for many users (and just have a look at their forum) they are driving many away.

There are ways and means to introduce charging to previously free use accounts - I'm not against paying a reasonable fee - but this I'm afraid ain't one of them.

Chances are I will have to cough up, but I'm bloody minded enough just to tell them to sling it and shut down my page! Sadly, we'll lose many pages devoted to football memorabilia as people just wont pay.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:53 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:

Graeme

Regards
Love
Wave

I fully understand the reasoning behind it Leslie, having recently purchased Flikr from Yahoo, SmugMug are looking to maximise their income but for many users (and just have a look at their forum) they are driving many away.

There are ways and means to introduce charging to previously free use accounts - I'm not against paying a reasonable fee - but this I'm afraid ain't one of them.

Chances are I will have to cough up, but I'm bloody minded enough just to tell them to sling it and shut down my page! Sadly, we'll lose many pages devoted to football memorabilia as people just wont pay.

I just cannot understand why you would want to cut your nose to spite your face-there is only one loser if you do, they do not care as it is a world wide business-they will find it from others.

Yes it would be a great loss as there is nothing else around to compete with it and of course they know that.

On a separate matter but a parallel, it is interesting to listen to the "supporters" at Old Trafford before and at half time, Glazer this Glazer that that not to mention all the effin and jeffin and whilst all of this is going on they are swigging back the beers, gorging on hot dogs, crisps, pies, kit kats tea and coffee and the Glazers just smile...… is there any difference? Wave

[Not to mention either that if u upgrade to Pro you get 30% off the first year so its now around £27 or 52p a week.There are no deals for the likes of an existing Pro User].

Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:04 pm 
Post subject:

I just cannot understand why you would want to cut your nose to spite your face-there is only one loser if you do, they do not care as it is a world wide business-they will find it from others.

Yes it would be a great loss as there is nothing else around to compete with it and of course they know that.

On a separate matter but a parallel, it is interesting to listen to the "supporters" at Old Trafford before and at half time, Glazer this Glazer that that not to mention all the effin and jeffin and whilst all of this is going on they are swigging back the beers, gorging on hot dogs, crisps, pies, kit kats tea and coffee and the Glazers just smile...… is there any difference? Wave

As I alluded to earlier, I'm either going to bite the bullet or pull the plug. I like what Flickr offers but I'm not too hung up on it. It was a convenient free way for me to keep track of what I had and came in handy for insurance purposes, which was the original reason I set it up.

I will look into website options along the lines of what I already have with my Scotland website, that offers the flexibilty that I'm happy for pay for (and the website needs redesigned anyway). If it means a period of "downtime" for what is on my Flickr then so be it.

We'll see.
Rocky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:07 pm 
Post subject: Re: Trouble ahead for free Flickr users

Tynie Topics wrote:
https://petapixel.com/2018/11/01/flickr-limits-free-plan-to-1000-photos-upgrades-pro-members/

Anyone had any notification of this?

If you’re a Flickr free member who already has over 1,000 photos in your account, you have until January 8th, 2019, to download photos over the 1,000 limit. After that date, you will no longer be able to upload new photos to Flickr. And after February 5th, 2019, Flickr will begin deleting files that are over your 1,000 photo/video limit, starting from oldest to newest, until your account contains only 1,000 files.

Have any Flickr free members had any of their files / images deleted since the February 5th deadline? (as described above)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:34 pm 
Post subject:

New deadline 12th march

Mine will go.........all 30, -50,000 files

But will look for other platforms

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:41 pm 
Post subject:

I bit the bullet and coughed up as I dont have the time to look to start elsewhere at the moment. Gives me a year.

If anyone finds another suitable platform, can you keep us updated Thumbs Up
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:47 pm 
Post subject:

I simply do not understand why anyone who has spent years and years up loading to flickr and has 1000's images on, wants to leave because it is 20 odd quid a year????-what am I missing?.

It was ok when it was for free, but now if you want large amounts of images you have to pay.

I paid the fees years ago because I always intended to get a lot on and in doing so and paying it allowed me to do this, so for mere peanuts you get to keep it all.

As I say I do not understand why anyone with massive amounts of images wants to look elsewhere and start over?.

Said what i think and no doubt get a torrent aimed at me, I have 15 odd 1000's on so far and it has taken me 12 years to get this far but it is one of the greatest opportunities to showcase your stuff around the globe.

Each to their own, everyone can do as they wish in this free country.
Wave

Rocky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:17 pm 
Post subject:

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: