Football Programmes Centre

Goals and Wickets - New website
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Goals and Wickets - New website
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Websites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:58 pm 
Post subject: NEW WEBSITE POST ON GOAL FOOTBALL ANNUAL

The latest brief guide post on the Goals and Wickets blog website just published, is on another of the popular boys' football annuals of the post war years, this time, the GOAL Football Annual.

The title of the post 'A star parade in more ways than one' refers to another annual, the Football Star Parade which was associated with the GOAL name prior to an annual being published under the title of GOAL.

Although the Football Star Parade was launched in its own right in 1968/69, for the following 2 seasons, the front cover of the annual made reference to GOAL positioning the annual as GOAL's book.

GOAL magazine had been launched in 1968 and with its huge success, it was probably just a matter of time before an annual under the name of the magazine was launched.

GOAL's publishers, IPC magazines obviously made the decision to piggy-back onto an existing annual (Football Star Parade was published by Longacre, an IPC company) as opposed to launching a brand new one.

In 1971/72, the annual took on GOAL's name.

The content of the annual's were a good mix between themed articles on aspects of the game and features on the top clubs and players.

The annuals are a lovely snapshot of their time and a reminder of all the changes going on in the game during the 1970's as well as being a nice reminder of an iconic magazine of the era which merged with SHOOT! in 1974.

In the post, there is the usual summary of the annual's story beginning with the Football Star Parade and finishing with GOAL's 1977 edition. There is then the usual review of each annual year by year.

As always, all page views are much appreciated, as are any comments on here or on the comments section below the post on the website;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......ll-annual/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:32 pm 
Post subject: NEW WEBSITE POST ON THE DAILY MAIL FOOTBALL GUIDE

The latest brief guide post on the Goals and Wickets blog website just published, is on another of the popular pocket football annuals of the post war years, this time, the Daily Mail Football Guide.

There were 25 editions of the guide although for some reason, it changed name for the last 2 editions, to the Weekend Football Guide.

The title of the post refers to the guide's editor throughout its 25 editions, Roy Peskett, who was a well known and respected football writer.

As well as his work for the Daily Mail, Peskett also edited an edition of the Rothmans Football Yearbook, wrote football and cricket books, including a respected history of Crystal Palace F.C. and produced a regular column for the Eagles' match day programme, called Peskett's piece.

On reading through all the guides in order to write the post, Roy Peksett's presence is everywhere, hence the idea of the guide being Peskett's annual piece.

Peskett's comments at the start of each guide make interesting reading as Roy remarked on football's issues of the day as well as the performances of the successful sides.

Perhaps one of the most ironic of these comments, made in the late 1950's, was about a proposal to streamline the Football League into 5 divisions of 20 teams. This idea was rejected, as it was 55 years later. Everything certainly changes as time passes, but much stays the same, it seems.

Although the guide increased and decreased in size and page numbers, there were some pleasing front cover designs (all shown in the post) and a collection of the guides provides a lovely snapshot of football from the 1950's to the mid 1970's, a time of much change in the game.

Consistent with other annuals of this type, the content of the guides was the usual mixture of reports, facts, figures and records of the previous season and history of the game combined with the fixture lists for the upcoming season.

In the post, there is the usual summary of the guide's story starting in 1950/51 followed by the usual review of each guide year by year up to 1974/75.

As always, all page views are much appreciated, as are any comments on here or on the comments section below the post on the website;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......all-guide/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:39 pm 
Post subject: Latest blog post on cricket's County Championship

I've just put the latest post on the Goals and Wickets blog website which is a cricket one, on the County Championship.

I know this is obviously a football site but I also know that there are a few cricket fans who are members.

Stephen Chalke has recently written a history of the competition and as its such a great book, I decided to do a post on it whilst having a look at the competition as it seeks to survive wedged between the worlds of Test cricket and one-day cricket, especially the cash cow of T20.

So the post is part book review and part strategy review although hopefully with not too much business-speak.

As always, thanks for any / all views on the site.

Comments are always welcome, either on the site or on this thread;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......t-history/
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:40 pm 
Post subject:

Based on your thread I bought a very good copy of this £20 book from Amazon @ £11.26 including postage, thinking that it might make a decent Xmas present for my big brother.

Well, it would make a good present, but there's one problem. When you start reading, you just can't put it down. I doubt it will get to the packing stage, to be honest. I love it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:28 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Based on your thread I bought a very good copy of this £20 book from Amazon @ £11.26 including postage, thinking that it might make a decent Xmas present for my big brother.

Well, it would make a good present, but there's one problem. When you start reading, you just can't put it down. I doubt it will get to the packing stage, to be honest. I love it.

Glad you are enjoying it, Pete.

And sorry I missed you last week.
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:05 pm 
Post subject: A REVIEW OF TOR! THE STORY OF GERMAN FOOTBALL BY ULI HESSE

After deciding to improve my knowledge on how football got developed around the World, I started with the much acclaimed history of football's development in Germany, TOR! by Uli Hesse.

Looking forward to the pages ahead, I was surprised but pleased that Uli Hesse opens the book with an anecdote about a coming together of English and German football fans in a pub in North London, I passed every day (although never frequented) for 7 years whilst at school.

Hesse then takes us back to the days when gymnastics was the national sport and football had to fight to get established. He then takes us through the 20th century and tells how football flourished despite difficult historical times and a resistance to professionalism.

Indeed, its an amazing achievement that Germany won the 1954 World Cup with a team of amateurs.

After the launch of the Bundesliga in 1963, many of the big clubs of today rose to the top of the national game.

A key feature of domestic football was the rivalry between Bayern Munich and Borussia Monchengladbach and this relationship is covered in the book.

In the last 20 years, following changes to how football was run including clubs' approach to youth development, much success followed at club level and for the national team.

The book is written in an informative and light hearted way with many interesting anecdotes in addition to the one mentioned above about The Bald Faced Stag Pub in East Finchley above.

All the key people who helped develop German football, including players, coaches and administrators are featured.

In addition to the usual posts on football and cricket memorabilia, I shall be writing a few more of these book reviews as I work my way through some of the other popular histories of football in countries across the world.

Next will be a review of Calcio, the excellent history on Italian football by John Foot.

As always, any comments are most welcome and much appreciated either on the website or below this post;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......uli-hesse/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:35 pm 
Post subject: REVIEW OF CALCIO: A HISTORY OF ITALIAN FOOTBALL BY JOHN FOOT

Calcio is the 2nd national football history I've now read after deciding to improve my knowledge on how football got developed around the World outside the British Isles.

As noted in the post above, I started with the much acclaimed history of football's development in Germany, TOR! by Uli Hesse and all the searches for similar books on Italian football pointed to Calcio as the one to read.

As with Tor!, Calcio, the name of the sport in Italy, starts with the early days of football in the country back in the 1880's and how the game expanded across the country in all the major towns and cities spawning many of the teams well known today including Juventus, Torino, Genoa, Napoli, Roma, Lazio, Sampdoria, the 2 Milan giants and others.

Author John Foot then splits up the history of Italian football by dividing it into themes, like the referees, the teams, the players, with goalkeepers, defenders, midfielders and strikers all with their own chapters, the managers, politics, scandals, the media and foreigners.

Each theme is covered in its own chapter in a chronological way from the early days of Italian football up to the early 2000's.

The national team's history is also covered, including all the ups with World Cup wins (Marco Tardelli and his reaction to scoring the winner in the 1982 final is the front cover image) and downs with early exits from World Cups and European Championships both being greeted by ferocious reactions from fans and media alike.

Overall, the book relates in some detail not only the history of Italian football but the unique culture of Calcio and how everything merges together in a way that means 'loyalty is total and obsession is the norm'.

The book is written in an informative way with many interesting anecdotes and supporting photographs, taking the length to 547 pages, so providing plenty to read.

All the key people who helped develop Italian football and a few who limited that development are featured.

As always, any comments are most welcome and much appreciated either on the website or below this post;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......john-foot/
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Websites All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: