Football Programmes Centre

Franz Beckenbauer RlP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Franz Beckenbauer RlP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes Offered for Sale or Swap
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:47 pm 
Post subject: Franz Beckenbauer RlP

Was just reading about the death today of the great German player Franz Beckenbauer. I remember seeing him ( on TV) as a young player during the 1966 World Cup .ln those days he was employed as an attacking midfielder . I think Sir Alf told Bobby Charlton to just stick on him and stop him playing in the final. What a fabulous player Beckenbauer was.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:29 pm 
Post subject:

Very sad news about Der Kaiser, what a player he was, after his early career midfield days he turned into a superb defender and with Bobby Moore made defending into an art form with only the brilliant Paolo Maldini coming close in later generations (imo).

Photo shows him collecting the silver runner-up trophy at the 1974 World Cup, with the late Kazimierz Deyna of Poland alongside picking up the bronze. The gold? Johan Cruyff.

One of only 3 men to win the World Cup as player and then coach - the first, Mario Zagalo, died a few days ago. The third joint winner, Didier Deschamps, is now feeling a tad nervous!

RIP Franz Beckenbauer, Der Kaiser.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:13 pm 
Post subject: Franz Beckenbauer RIP

Top of my head, the only other defender that compared to the ones you mentioned Pete was the ltalian Franco Baresi. Not a big man but read the game brilliantly..
Five and In

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:03 am 
Post subject: Franz Beckenbauer RlP

Franz Beckenbauer was a class player who would make pretty much anybody's all time greatest teams.

I even had a pair of his Adidas Beckenbauer boots when I was a kid and loved those fluorescent green stripes

RIP Der Kaiser...Legend
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes Offered for Sale or Swap All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: