Football Programmes Centre

Trevor Francis RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Trevor Francis RIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:11 am 
Post subject: Trevor Francis RIP

I appreciate this is late but the obituary didn't appear till Friday (4th) and I wanted to include it in my tribute to a truly great player and, by all accounts, a genuinely nice man. Though one or two players, such as Martin "Mad Dog" Allen may not have concurred when Trevor refused him permission to attend the birth of his first son. But I digress.

He burst on the scene at Birmingham, becoming the youngest ever player to score 4 goals in a game when he was just about 17. After nearly a decade at the Blues Brian Clough signed him for £1m and within weeks Trevor scored the winning header for Forest in the European Cup. He won 52 caps but scored only 12 goals, I would suggest that both figures are too low for a man of his ability. He journeyed round Britain and Europe (and briefly, Australia) as a player and then manager at 3 of his old clubs and my own, Crystal Palace, where, it should be said, he had only fleeting success at a difficult time for the club.

The obituary follows plus a selection of the photos I have at my disposal.

RIP Trevor. A real football star.

(Right click on icons and open in new files)

At Birmingham, early in career

At Nottingham Forest, with cup and teammates, 1979

At Sampdoria, in bed with Liam Brady, 1982

For England c1980

In action for QPR 1988

In action for Sheffield Wednesday - at QPR (Paul Parker) 1990

And finally as a manager, at QPR, late 80's

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: