Football Programmes Centre

Marine FC v Nigeria 1949
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Marine FC v Nigeria 1949

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:30 pm 
Post subject: Marine FC v Nigeria 1949

There was an interesting article in The Liverpool Echo a few days ago about a Nigerian team touring UK 1949. It’s worth a read. ..Apparently they played barefoot . Can’t imagine , in the days of those big heavy football boots , what it would have been like to have played barefoot. Brave lads!
grantham

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:15 pm 
Post subject:

Quite well known I thought, as it keeps cropping up

Nigeria had a tour in the UK, playing several matches against non-league opposition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx084XcJ_cw
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:29 pm 

Grantham, just had a look. Mr Cholmondley-Warner off The Harry Enfield programme is hilarious doing the match commentary. Noticed the Marine players were all smoking pipes Laughing Puskas also made an appearance( 1967) on Merseyside in a charity match after the war. Apparently the great man enjoyed a drink or two and l think he ended up partying up in Glasgow during this visit .
slightfold

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:35 pm 
Post subject:

The Nigeria team played South Liverpool on 28/9/49 in what was the very first floodlight game in the UK after the end of WW2. It is therefore important that the club being recognised as the pioneers of the start of a new era, and the prescient programme notes say "Tonight's attendance goes to show that candle is blowing on a wind that blows in the right direction."

A picture shows some players with bare feet, maybe it was how they learned to play in their country I guess?

South Liverpool also hosted the 2nd ever floodlight game, 25/1/40, Everton v Liverpool former players which included Matt Busby and a Mr W.R.Dean !!
Basford United

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:03 am 
Post subject:

The Leytonstone v Nigerian XI on 8 September 1949 also mentions the bare footed players, also seem to remember the Gold Coast XI that played at Romford did likewise!
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:49 pm 

I see Holly Park was redeveloped in 2006 and is now part of the South Parkway Railway Station.l’ve never been there. I wonder if there is a plaque stating that it was the sight of the first ever post- war floodlight football match? On the subject of Nigerian footballers in England, I remember Tranmere having a Nigerian player, ElKanah Onyeali, in their team when l was a kid , but never got to see him play. He must have been one of the first black players to play professional football in GB.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: