Football Programmes Centre

Stan Bowles RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Stan Bowles RIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ndg1860

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:51 am 
Post subject: Stan Bowles RIP

It was through Stan and the 70s QPR team that led me to follow the club. What a great player, well ahead of his time, and he only made a few International appearances. He suffered from dementia but still came to watch a few QPR games late in his life.

I am sure that many of the older folks here have fond memories of him and Pete has some photos as well.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:48 am 
Post subject: Stan Bowles RlP

Was it Tommy Docherty who said “ lf only Stan could pass a bookies shop as well as can pass a football , he would have been a wealthy man!” I do miss the football mavericks such as Matt Le Tissier, Duncan McKenzie, Frank Worthington , Tony Currie , Rodney Marsh and the great George Best of course..I did see Stan play a few times at Goodison. A very skilful and entertaining player .
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:38 pm 
Post subject:

Loved watching him play, a real entertainer.

Rest In Peace Stan.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:59 pm 
Post subject:

RIP Stan.

I reckon he was one of the very few players who was loved almost as much by fans of his opponents as by followers of his own clubs. He transcended club loyalty, his skills and smiles will stay long in the memory. And typically of that era, his maverick skills weren't suited to England managers so 5 caps were a paltry acknowledgment of his amazing ability.

So sad about the dementia in his last years, probably not continuous heading that caused it, unlike some. But he turned up regularly at Loftus Road and maybe Brisbane Road and his other haunts too at times.

Stan, thank you, you were one of the very best.

At QPR

At Orient

RIP Stan.

(For images, right click on icon and open a new tab)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:08 am 
Post subject: Stan Bowles RIP

What a great player and so sad to hear the news of his passing even though He'd been poorly for some time with dementia.

His autobiography is a really good read, written in the same off the cuff way that he played.

RIP Stan
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: