Football Programmes Centre

The Greatest Auction (new Channel 4 show)
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Greatest Auction (new Channel 4 show)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al_Channel4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:16 pm 
Post subject: The Greatest Auction (new Channel 4 show)

Hello everyone Wave

New to the forum

Going straight to the point

I'm working on a new Channel 4 show and we've came across someone who found an old Leeds City V Man United game programme from 1905/06 season. It will be auctioned off on our show and we're looking for interested buyers to come on the show and potentially bid/buy it?

If anyone's interested and would like to know more please email me

[email protected]

Thanks
Al
colchestersid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:57 pm 
Post subject:

A quick google search confirms this is a legitimate offer

https://www.channel4.com/4viewers/take-part/greatest-auction

And I'll be the first to say it - that is an extraordinary programme to turn up

Am I right in saying this was the only season Leeds City and Manchester United were in the same division?
RIKERBCFC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:16 am 
Post subject:

Only season the two clubs played each other in the league. Match date 21st April 1906 result Leeds city 1 Manchester United 3.
Cantona93

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:53 pm 
Post subject: Rare Programme

This could make riveting TV viewing if the big guns turn up to bid!
BHA1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:43 am 
Post subject:

Any updates on this?
colchestersid

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 7:46 pm 
Post subject:

I've just seen that this series has now started on Channel 4 - it will be interesting to see how much this sold for and who won - the format of the programme appears to be that it was only open to an "invited audience". Did anyone here attend?

The episode to watch is

Episode 6 - TX: Tuesday 13 June, 8pm, Channel 4

Today, dealers and collectors gather at the auction house all hoping to buy the work of an art forger that if real, would be worth tens of millions of pounds; a Leeds City football programme from 1904 found under floorboards sees the light of day again when it’s brought into the arena; and a taxidermy unicorn and prototype set of drums from the 1970s both go under the hammer at The Greatest Auction
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 12:14 pm 
Post subject:

It didn't feel like an auction, it felt like what it was....... a programme made for Television.

From the onset, we've got a 'AJ' who as we all know from the 'Emma looks great. I look dreadful' advert google pixel phones advert cannot pronounce certain letters, then we've got Lauren who is apparently the receptionist but who in the real world is an actress and model.

Two porters who were more wooden than an Ikea bookcase and a trio of flamboyant auctioneers who came across as complete dullards.

it would have had more credence if it had taken place at a bona-fide auction house, rather than a specifically made venue (In essence a Television set)

Anyone normal, and I use that phrase sparingly were clearly out of work actors who were there to make the numbers up and gasp as the values went higher.

I'm not doubting the expertise of the 'high profile'; guests,
although it looked like a vehicle for self promotion. A case of more 'storage wars' than 'actual reality'.

As a viewer, I would have preferred a one off 'three hour special', (I think 8 x 1 hr programmes is stretching the format too far)

By all means have the interviews with the 'big hitters' with regards to their items of interests, the stories behind the items etc etc but a full room with a hundred or more gives more legitimacy than what was on show here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 2:50 pm 
Post subject:

Surely something that rare goes through Graham Budd's. Anything else is risking thousands off the price realised?
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 4:56 pm 
Post subject:

This programme is so bad...... its almost watchable.

The Artworld are p******* themselves over the alleged Banksy and,

Now we're led to believe there are people who would bid £1500 for an Iraqi Fork Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

And who? then turns up................. Sherlock
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
colchestersid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:25 pm 
Post subject:

Started at £1000, only three bidders, Mick Hewitt won for £5,000

Stephen Cleeve was the underbidder

Only one anonymous bidder on the phone

So well done Mick, £5,000 was an absolute steal

The ladies selling seemed very pleased but clearly some big Manchester United collectors didn't have the opportunity to bid (Cleeve mentioned Leslie and Ray as likely bidders)
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:28 pm 
Post subject:

colchestersid wrote:
Started at £1000, only three bidders, Mick Hewitt won for £5,000

Stephen Cleeve was the underbidder

Only one anonymous bidder on the phone

So well done Mick, £5,000 was an absolute steal

The ladies selling seemed very pleased but clearly some big Manchester United collectors didn't have the opportunity to bid (Cleeve mentioned Leslie and Ray as likely bidders)

oh I had the opportunity to go on tv and let everyone know my business I can assure you, but i declined from the off, all stage managed, not for me. Well Done Mick

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: