Football Programmes Centre

Cricket Photo For Pete
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Cricket Photo For Pete

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:49 pm 
Post subject: Cricket Photo For Pete

I know it’s not football but l find this photo currently on eBay interesting. I think there is some famous faces on this pic, but apart from Ronnie Barker l can’t name them. With him being a cricket fan like me , l think Pete( Picture Palace) might have some idea. Are they former Australian test stars? Looks like that antiques bloke far left?
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:56 am 
Post subject:

Not really, Pie, sorry. At first glance I thought the chap third right was Frank Worthington, but on closer look maybe not. I don't think the chap far left is that "antiques guy" (Henry Sandon?) but I think I know who you mean. The chap furthest right is blurred but I'd be tempted by Tom Graveney? And the grey haired chap next to Ronnie looks a bit like Bob Willis but I don't think he's tall enough.

Not very good I'm afraid. I'm "watching" on eBay so will have another look some time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:57 am 

It’s a tough one Pete. The group to the right of Ronnie all have the look of former players. Don’t know why , but Australian springs to mind . Was reading that Ronnie Barker lived there for a while and did some TV programmes for Kerry Packer.However, this photo was taken in Oxford.Sometimes you just see a photo and get intrigued by who the people are..
ndg1860

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:33 am 
Post subject:

I have a friend in Adelaide who is the pre-eminent cricket historian in Australia. When I find a contact for him, I'll pass this on. I am guessing by the age of Barker, that this was probably taken in the late 90s or early 2000s a bit before he passed away in 2005. Strangely, some faces do look familiar but I cannot tie them down to the pre-Lillee/Marsh era.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:54 am 

ndg1860, many thanks. I can generally pick out England, Australia former test players from the 1950s onwards, but this has got me stumped. Could they be former New Zealand or South African? I think if they are former players they could be from late 1950s early 60s. Then again , they might not have anything at all to do with cricket?
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:07 pm 
Post subject:

They might be club players or minor celebrities. I don't think, for instance, a former pro player would wear his kit with black shoes.

Agreed that it's probably 1990's, and that I, like you would probably identify England and Aussie test (and some county) players from that period and earlier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
DavidAppleton

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:56 pm 
Post subject:

Possibly acquaintances from Ronnie Barker's childhood.
He went to school in Oxford and a couple of chaps are potentially wearing the tie of Brasenose College.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:30 pm 

Thanks David. Could well be, or one of those Lords Taverners type organisations?
sellsell39

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:47 pm 
Post subject:

Why can't I see the photo please guys ?
se20blue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:10 pm 
Post subject:

Welcome back to the forum Nick, if you right click on square at end of text then "Open image in new tab" you will be able to see photos.
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:23 am 
Post subject: Re: Cricket Photo For Pete

[quote="Flaming Pie"]
Looks like that antiques bloke far left?

I think the antiques guy you are thinking about for the far left is Arthur Negus who used to host Antiques Roadshow?
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:42 am 

Five and ln, can’t spot any famous faces in this team either apart from that annoying Biggins guy . This cricket pic might well get me banned on a football forum Laughing
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:52 am 
Post subject: Re: Cricket Photo For Pete

Flaming Pie wrote:
Five and ln, can’t spot any famous faces in this team either apart from that annoying Biggins guy . This cricket pic might well get me banned on a football forum Laughing

Not sure if you're being serious about the famous ones in this picture Laughing

Personally, I couldn't spot Biggins, but George Best, Michael Parkinson, Jimmy Tarbuck, Kenny Lynch and Annabel Croft are in there.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:29 am 

Five, you’re right, some famous faces there . Photo is from 1997, Maidenhead.. Biggins is the blond haired bloke back - row standing in between Richard keys and former Chelsea manager Bobby Campbell. I was reading that when George Best travelled over from Belfast as a kid to Man Unt for the first time , the taxi dropped him off at the nearby Old Trafford Cricket Ground.. When he eventually found the football stadium he got a right telling off for not getting in the correct taxi that the the club had waiting for him.He got the ferry back home to Belfast the following day. Luckily for United he came back!
Laalaa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:37 pm 
Post subject:

The bloke far right is Robin Askwith and the hidden bloke at back is Chris Tarrant.
The female on right is I think Samantha Smith (tennis)

The match is Maidenhead & Bray v a celebrity XI
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: