Football Programmes Centre

Sportingold timed auction
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sportingold timed auction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BHA1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:55 am 
Post subject: Sportingold timed auction

How was the first Sportingold timed auction for you - Good bad or indifferent ?
matt blue

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:24 pm 
Post subject:

Really didn't enjoy it. A smaller ebay. Plus unable to buy an item if it didn't sell.

Take a look at my work in progress !!
Bokbag

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:10 pm 
Post subject:

I have recently taken to picking up the club magazine editions from European clubs for cup finals. There were some nice ones here but were overpriced with too high an opening bid mark and every one went unsold. As for the way of doing it, I don’t really like it so much
colchestersid

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:20 am 
Post subject:

There wasn't anything for me here but in general I'm not a fan of these timed auctions. If I had been selling I wouldn't have agreed to go down this route.

Not sure if Sporting Gold were selling on behalf of clients here or just trying to shift some of their own stock?

Last edited by colchestersid on Mon May 01, 2023 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
ndg1860

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 9:02 am 
Post subject:

I've held off a bit prior to replying here, but I think sid is right in that this may have been more of a try to get rid of old stock type auction than new stuff. I have a number of items being sold in the next auction and certainly would not have wanted them in this one. However, given there were so many lots (well over 2000), I'd say that there may have been a number of new items and, more than likely, someone's big collection.

As to the auction itself, it should be interesting to see if Emma believes that the company came out in front or not when compared to live auctions. I was watching a fair number mostly related to QPR, as I always do to keep an eye on what items go for these days, and of those only about 20% sold and only a few gained more than one bid. While most of the starting prices were a bit high, there were still a few bargains to be had (and yes, I did get a few) if you chose to bid on certain lots. I would be somewhat surprised if this was repeated. However, that said and how much most hate these or how much most have little idea how these are run compared to live auctions, I fear that Sportingold may eventually be heading this way to help cut costs.

Overall, it is probably ok when you have a dealers' type auction (large lots), but not really for a collectors' type (single programmes). I guess we shall see how the next one goes, being Midland that is supposed to open bidding today for their 21 May times auction.
grantham

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 10:06 am 
Post subject:

Nothing of interest in the auction for me, but I don't mind the auction type. Used it a couple of times and won some lots, made little to no difference to me
colchestersid

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 10:49 am 
Post subject:

The auction results are up

April 2023 Timed Auction

Sold - 980 lots totalling £33,990 at an average of £34.68

Unsold - 1144 lots

January 2023 Live Auction

Sold - 1097 lots totalling £83,985 at an average of £76.56

Unsold - 487 lots

Last edited by colchestersid on Tue May 02, 2023 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bokbag

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 12:10 pm 
Post subject:

Assuming this auction was an attempt at stock clearance, what would they do with it in the end? That’s a hell of a lot of unsold items. There were plenty of interesting lots I would take but probs worth about half what they tried to sell them for
bee007

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 2:42 pm 
Post subject:

Bokbag wrote:
Assuming this auction was an attempt at stock clearance, what would they do with it in the end? That’s a hell of a lot of unsold items. There were plenty of interesting lots I would take but probs worth about half what they tried to sell them for

Can you phone them to ask if they take offers on any unsold lots.
Leigh Treymaine

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 2:56 pm 
Post subject: SPORTINGOLD

Interesting to see that the email bidding outfit was Easy Life Auctions and not The Saleroom.
grantham

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 5:06 pm 
Post subject: Re: SPORTINGOLD

Leigh Treymaine wrote:
Interesting to see that the email bidding outfit was Easy Life Auctions and not The Saleroom.

Easy Life is generally cheaper, I have no preference for either, but if you are planning on buying a few items and both services are on offer, got for Easy Life and their flat rate fee
Bokbag

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 5:41 pm 
Post subject:

bee007 wrote:
Bokbag wrote:

Sorry did you mean you can phone and make an offer? Out of interest would they still charge all the other charges? And does anyone have experience of doing this?
ndg1860

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 5:51 pm 
Post subject:

Bokbag wrote:
bee007 wrote:
Bokbag wrote:

Sorry did you mean you can phone and make an offer? Out of interest would they still charge all the other charges? And does anyone have experience of doing this?

I am unsure if they do this at Sportingold, but you cannot lose in trying. I have done this in Australia with a lot and yes, you are expected to pay the auctioneers commission. You will not have to pay the platform (easylive) commission.

The real question lies as to whether it was Sportingold who chose the reserves or the original vendor. That is, if it was the vendor, you will probably have problems in negotiating a price for the lots but if it was Sportingold and this was an excess stock clearance, you may have a better chance.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 10:15 pm 
Post subject:

No idea. I think dropping the printed catalogue was a mistake.
gatfb

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 9:08 pm 
Post subject:

Never even knew it was on.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 10:47 pm 
Post subject:

Anyone still waiting for their invoice?
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:32 am 
Post subject:

Still no invoice and no response to emails, anyone else in the same boat?
galmpton

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 11:52 am 
Post subject:

I rang them yesterday paid over the phone and item's received today
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: