Football Programmes Centre

South Americans in Britain - 1950s to 1970s
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
South Americans in Britain - 1950s to 1970s
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:26 pm 
Post subject:

Jim LFC wrote:
manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
Jim LFC wrote:
Man Utd v Estudiantes 16/10/1968

this does not count Jim, Estudiantes were not touring the UK. World Club Championship or whatever it was called.

I take your point Leslie but I read that Estudiantes also had a game planned at Highbury and the programme was ultra rare, as confirmed by Goonerak. Also confirmed was a proposed game at Birmingham, so I would say that 3 games probably constitute a tour! Very Happy

Proposed?. Not aware of this tbh. Did those 2 games happen and if they did what dates?

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:09 pm 
Post subject:

Jim LFC wrote:
manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
Jim LFC wrote:
Man Utd v Estudiantes 16/10/1968

this does not count Jim, Estudiantes were not touring the UK. World Club Championship or whatever it was called.

I take your point Leslie but I read that Estudiantes also had a game planned at Highbury and the programme was ultra rare, as confirmed by Goonerak. Also confirmed was a proposed game at Birmingham, so I would say that 3 games probably constitute a tour! Very Happy

Jim

After some research i have found this information:

Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved

Background: ENGLISH SOCCER CLUBS, ARSENAL AND BIRMINGHAM CITY, ARE CLAIMING COMPENSATION AGAINST WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS ESTUDIANTES OF ARGENTINA OVER THEIR REFUSAL TO PLAY SCHEDULED FRIENDLY MATCHES NEXT WEEK. ESTUDIANTES WITHDREW FROM THE MATCHES AFTER THIS WEEK'S DRAW AGAINST MANCHESTER UNITED WHICH WAS MARRED BY ROUGH PLAY. ARGENTINE SUPPORTERS, IN ESTUDIANTES' HOME TOWN OF LA PLATA, CELEBRATED THE DRAW WHICH GAVE THEIR TEAM THE CHAMPIONSHIP.

THE SOUTH AMERICANS WERE DUE TO MEET ARSENAL ON MONDAY (OCTOBER 21) AND BIRMINGHAM CITY THE FOLLOWING WEDNESDAY (OCTOBER 23). BUT THEY'LL NOW LEAVE FOR ARGENTINA ON MONDAY AFTER THEY PLAY INTER-MILAN IN ITALY.

ARSENAL OFFICIALS WANT GBP25,000 COMPENSATION AND EXPENSES FOR THEIR PLANNED MATCH. THEY'RE MAKING A SUBMISSION TO THE INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION OF FOOTBALL ASSOCIATIONS (FIFA). ARSENAL HAD EXPECTED A CROWD OF 40,000.

BIRMINGHAM CITY, ACCORDING TO OFFICIALS, WILL MAKE EVERY EFFORT TO GAIN COMPENSATION BUT THEY'VE NOT YET DECIDED ON A FIGURE.

RELATIONS BETWEEN THE TWO COUNTRIES HAVE BEEN STRAINED SINCE THE WORLD CUP AT WEMBLEY TWO YEARS AGO WHEN THE ARGENTINE CAPTAIN WAS SENT OFF THE FIELD DURING A MATCH AGAINST ENGLAND, THE EVENTUAL CHAMPIONS.

So these 2 other games never took place-typical "Argy Bargy" Laughing

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Merseman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:19 pm 
Post subject:

This confirms they were to face Arsenal and Birmingham City the following week:

https://afchistory.wordpress.com/category/estudiantes/

Intercontinental Cup used an 'unusual' format - technically it was a league, with no goal average in use. Any victory for Manchester United would have forced a Saturday playoff in Amsterdam.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:29 pm 
Post subject: South Americans in Britain- 1950s to 1970s

That England v Argentina 1966 match was something of a sensation at the time. I did watch it on TV as a kid.. Reading some of the match reports many years later , l was surprised to find out that England had two players cautioned by the ref, the Charlton brothers. Red and yellow cards had not yet been introduced , so spectators at the game and watching at home were not really aware who ( if anyone ) had been booked. Some reports don’t mention any England players getting booked at all. Bit of a mystery!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:50 pm 
Post subject:

Nice fellows those Argies...

garyspain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:13 am 
Post subject:

here is the Bohemians one

Merseman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:48 pm 
Post subject:

Merseman wrote:
pafcprogs wrote:
Argyle played Trinidad & Tobago in 1953/4 ( not quite but almost South America)

Also played Botofogo in 55/6 on April 11th ( programme issued ...Pm me if you want a copy)

Lost 2-3 and crown was 9000

The Santos game at Home Park was infamous for Santos seeing the 37K crowd and demanding extra cash which was brought is a suitcase by all accounts.

I have the late referees programme copy, extensively autographed....

PM sent!

PAFCprogs, you there?
Merseman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:59 pm 
Post subject:

Merseman wrote:
Merseman wrote:
pafcprogs wrote:
Argyle played Botofogo in 55/6 on April 11th ( programme issued ...Pm me if you want a copy)

PM sent!

PAFCprogs, you there?

Just bumping this pafcprogs as not heard from you since PM'd in March.

Last edited by Merseman on Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Merseman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:00 pm 
Post subject:

pafcprogs wrote:
Argyle played Trinidad & Tobago in 1953/4 ( not quite but almost South America)

Also played Botofogo in 55/6 on April 11th ( programme issued ...Pm me if you want a copy)

The Santos game at Home Park was infamous for Santos seeing the 37K crowd and demanding extra cash which was brought is a suitcase by all accounts.

I have the late referees programme copy, extensively autographed....

Bump.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: