Football Programmes Centre

Welsh Cup...a random thread
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Welsh Cup...a random thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:06 pm 
Post subject: Welsh Cup...a random thread

I have shamelessly nicked this idea from Sean D's similar Irish thread! Basically it's a place for people to showcase their programmes from what is in my humble opinion the most underestimated of all the four home nations national cups. Outside of the Principality no-one really gives a monkey's about the competition but we love it - over the decades it has pitted some of our tiniest village teams against Football League opposition and provided our professional and semi-pro sides with a pathway to Europe. The thread is for Welsh Cup programmes only and I'll start the ball rolling with four fairly common but still interesting issues. Please feel free to add any from your collections.

Perversely, let's start with a few games involving teams from the right hand side of Offa's Dyke - first up is Shrewsbury v Worcester City in a fifth round replay from 1975/6. A real homemade effort from the Gay Meadow outfit marked a 3-0 win after the sides had drawn 2-2 at Worcester. Ian Atkins (2) and Alan Durban were the scorers.

In 1981/2 Llanidloes Town's well-appointed Victoria Road home played host to the Bulls of Edgar Street in a match which ended 1-1. But in the replay United proved too strong for the Daffs, winning easily by 7-0.

Two more English entrants went head to head in a second round replay in 1990/1 when Kidderminster Harriers entertained Stroud at Aggborough after a 3-3 draw in Gloucestershire. A simple four-page photocopied effort marked the occasion as Stroud progressed to the next round with a 1-0 victory.

To end this first instalment Merthyr Tydfil met Chester in the fifth round (last eight) in 1979/80 and caused an upset by winning 1-0 before succumbing 3-1 to Newport County in the semi-finals.

I'm always on the lookout for Welsh Cup issues so if any forum member has anything they think I might be interested in please get in touch.
Mwynhewch pawb, Mark Thumbs Up
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: