Football Programmes Centre

European Sales on eBay Post Brexit.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
European Sales on eBay Post Brexit.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giorgio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:05 pm 
Post subject: European Sales on eBay Post Brexit.

Was wondering how everyone is getting on selling on eBay to Europe post Brexit. I sold something to Italy a couple of weeks ago and received an email from the buyer saying his postal service was demanding another 22 euros because of Brexit. We came to an amicable arrangement but I can't keep doing that.
I've just lost a £450 sale because I had to warn a recent bidder that there would be a 20% surcharge because of Brexit. They asked me to cancel the transaction which I fully understand.
Personally, I don't know what to make of it. Does anyone? I know I didn't vote for this.
Five and In

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:36 am 
Post subject: European Sales on eBay Post Brexit.

Personally, I have stopped sending directly overseas and have only used Ebay's GSP system since lockdowns started.

I know it's expensive for the buyer against me sending directly, but it takes everything else out of the equation, like surcharges, lost in post etc.

My responsibility now ends at Lichfield and from there it's up to GSP.

I know a lot of people don't like it, but it works for me at this moment in time and saves me the kind of hassle that giorgio is having.
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:14 am 
Post subject:

I know it's not Europe, but most of what I collect comes from either USA or Far East USA is the most expensive place for me to buy from now, I've pretty much given up.

The modern trade cards I buy from USA have become pretty much uneconomic. Almost all sellers use the GSP so circa $17 to post one card, then there is VAT on top.

Typical example from USA (real item on there now):

Card $16.99 buy it now
Shipping $17.59
Import charges $10.95

Total $45.53

Can't justify the cost. Wherever possible I buy from the far east, who do the postage for about $6 rather than the global shipping program,

Genuine example from Ebay (item from Hong Kong)

Card $14.99
Shipping £6.99
VAT $4.40
Total $26.38

So whilst not a bargain, much more economic than buying from USA

or I use a contact in China who I have used for years, who gets stuff for me and sends it letter post. He makes a bit for himself out of the deals, but can source stuff cheaper than ebay, so better all round.
slightfold

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:55 am 
Post subject:

It's quite sad and costly to see how Brexit has impacted us collectors/sellers. Perhaps Boris's logo, 'Get Brexit done' should now be replaced with the truthful 'Get done by Brexit.'
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:48 pm 
Post subject:

Without wishing to reopen the debate, unfortunately if you voted for Brexit that is exactly what you voted for....
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:08 pm 
Post subject:

pafcprogs wrote:
Without wishing to reopen the debate, unfortunately if you voted for Brexit that is exactly what you voted for....

Bingo.
Driver8

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:15 pm 
Post subject:

Quote:

oooh.....

[/quote]

Last edited by Driver8 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:21 pm 
Post subject:

pafcprogs wrote:

Nod
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
giorgio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:17 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
pafcprogs wrote:

Bingo.

I didn't vote for Brexit. Just like virtually half the population. We've got every right to be unhappy and moan about it.
garyspain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:28 pm 
Post subject:

It can be really annoying here as the fee to collect the VAT is often far more than the VAT itself. As of yet I haven't seen a problem with items coming from the UK to the Republic of Ireland but it has been an issue for years for me buying in the United States.

There is also the option to put used magazines or used programmes on the customs form and say no declared value or a small value. After all the value of these items is subjective.
Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:11 pm 
Post subject:

garyspain wrote:
It can be really annoying here as the fee to collect the VAT is often far more than the VAT itself. As of yet I haven't seen a problem with items coming from the UK to the Republic of Ireland but it has been an issue for years for me buying in the United States.

There is also the option to put used magazines or used programmes on the customs form and say no declared value or a small value. After all the value of these items is subjective.

Correct - and in terms of the likes of cards and tickets, no declarations are required and do not attract VAT.
TheMusic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:18 am 
Post subject:

giorgio wrote:
Tynie Topics wrote:
pafcprogs wrote:

Bingo.

I didn't vote for Brexit. Just like virtually half the population. We've got every right to be unhappy and moan about it.

"virtually half" has nothing to do with it. The truth of the matter is over 62% of the population didn't vote for Brexit.
Footyfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:20 pm 
Post subject:

""virtually half" has nothing to do with it. The truth of the matter is over 62% of the population didn't vote for Brexit."

How so? Surely, those who chose not to participate in the vote had no opinion either way?

Or are we saying that non-votes always go to the 'opposition'?
TheMusic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:31 pm 
Post subject:

It doesn't necessarily mean the votes go to the opposition - it's purely speculation now how the approx. 29% who didn't vote would have voted. However, it's simply a fact that 37% of the population voted for Brexit, 34% voted against it and 29% didn't vote for whatever reason. What people conclude from that result is up to them.
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:07 pm 
Post subject:

"Without wishing to reopen the debate"

Smile
James

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:17 pm 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:
I know it's not Europe, but most of what I collect comes from either USA or Far East USA is the most expensive place for me to buy from now, I've pretty much given up.

The modern trade cards I buy from USA have become pretty much uneconomic. Almost all sellers use the GSP so circa $17 to post one card, then there is VAT on top.

Typical example from USA (real item on there now):

Card $16.99 buy it now
Shipping $17.59
Import charges $10.95

Total $45.53

Can't justify the cost. Wherever possible I buy from the far east, who do the postage for about $6 rather than the global shipping program,

Genuine example from Ebay (item from Hong Kong)

Card $14.99
Shipping £6.99
VAT $4.40
Total $26.38

So whilst not a bargain, much more economic than buying from USA

or I use a contact in China who I have used for years, who gets stuff for me and sends it letter post. He makes a bit for himself out of the deals, but can source stuff cheaper than ebay, so better all round.

I collect Ice Hockey programmes and have all but given up unless i attend the game, due to the same reason you mention Dorking, but i gave up a good few years back.

I used to try and get programmes from certain NHL/Minor league games and the item would be around $16-$20 each then the postage would be $25-$30 and then if the seller had not completed the customs form correctly i used to have the choice of either pay another £10-£12 for the item at the post office or reject delivery and send it back and have the hassle of dealing with Ebay to get the refund. This was pre Brexit so can only imagine the extra costs that it would incur now.
TheMusic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:21 pm 
Post subject:

pafcprogs wrote:
"Without wishing to reopen the debate"

Smile

These are simply facts; there's been no reopening of any debate (yet, and long may it continue).
RIKERBCFC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:14 am 
Post subject:

I thought this was a site about football programmes not a political debating site.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:35 am 
Post subject:

"Anything goes" section......
amazorblade

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:56 am 
Post subject:

garyspain wrote:

I have seen this comment made by a number of buyers recently on a number of forums. I do not think we should be encouraging sellers to falsify the customs documents, and thereby leaving themselves open to a penalty, by declaring a value on the export/import form that is not a true value.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: