Football Programmes Centre

Diego Maradona RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Diego Maradona RIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:49 pm 
Post subject: Diego Maradona RIP

I thought the so-called Greatest Player in the World deserved at least a brief mention in this Not Forgotten thread.

He led a tortured life, not alone of course as a pro footballer to fall foul of the bottle, and drugs etc. I could name a few others but this is about Maradona, not the others.

He was a fantastic footballer, of that there is no doubt.

But - was he the GOAT? The Greatest of All Time?

Discuss. Judge

RIP Diego, thank you for all the memories, and for what you did to Terry Fenwick, at least he can stop looking for you now!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
colchestersid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:13 pm 
Post subject:

One thing that struck me was how little of his career we would have seen at the time. Outside of World Cups there would have been no live coverage of his club or international career on British TV, Football Italia didn't start until after he left Italy. I think he only played three times in England (happy to be corrected)

Compare that to today where virtually every game featuring Messi or Ronaldo is available to watch live and (pre Covid at least) taking a weekend in Spain or Italy to watch them live is very straightforward and common. In the British media at least then Maradona is viewed purely in terms of maybe five World Cup games spread across four tournaments

Last edited by colchestersid on Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
colchestersid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:15 pm 
Post subject:

I'll try and dig it out but somewhere I've got a picture of me with a Maradona lookalike outside Boca's ground from 2007. It was his full time job apparently and he was a good likeness!
martino

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:53 pm 
Post subject:

I have just been watching a re-run of his World Cup goals on the BBC website.

We all know that his first against England in 1986 was handball or the "hand of god" but it is difficult to deny that his second against England - a mazy dribble on what was a less than flat surface - was skill of the highest class.

How can you judge the G.O.A.T.? Times change. Players today play on flat surfaces. Go back through time and look at some of the pitches that they played on but the top players still managed to display excellent skills / ball control.
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:34 pm 
Post subject:

colchestersid wrote:
I think he only played three times in England (happy to be corrected)

I think he actually played 4 times in total?

Wembley 1981 England v Argentina
Old Trafford 1984 Man Utd v Barcelona (ECWC)
White Hart Lane 1986 Spurs v Inter Milan (Ardilles testimonial)
Wembley 1988 Football League XI v Rest of World XI (Football League Centenary )

Smile
colchestersid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:41 pm 
Post subject:

Jim LFC wrote:
colchestersid wrote:

Smile

Sounds correct - I forgot the Ardiles testimonial. Still - only one truly competitive game
Five and In

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:47 pm 

Jim LFC wrote:
colchestersid wrote:

Smile

I was fortunate enough to see him play in three of those games, the two at Wembley and Ossie's Testimonial.

I hated him with a passion for the goal that cheated England out of the World Cup, but also believe that he is the best player that I have seen in my lifetime. He played the game like nobody else could.

PS - Did anybody else think that the one hour long special on Sky last night was absolute garbage?
As Sky believe football was only invented in 1992, they only forked out for a couple of clips from earlier years and played them over and over.

Hopefully there will be a better programme somewhere in the coming days.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:51 pm 
Post subject: Re: Diego Maradona RIP

Five and In wrote:
Jim LFC wrote:
colchestersid wrote:

Smile

I was fortunate enough to see him play in three of those games, the two at Wembley and Ossie's Testimonial.

I hated him with a passion for the goal that cheated England out of the World Cup, but also believe that he is the best player that I have seen in my lifetime. He played the game like nobody else could.

PS - Did anybody else think that the one hour long special on Sky last night was absolute garbage?
As Sky believe football was only invented in 1992, they only forked out for a couple of clips from earlier years and played them over and over.

Hopefully there will be a better programme somewhere in the coming days.

That's the problem we have I think. Most people will say that about being cheated. But he wasn't the first, and certainly wasn't the last, to try to score with his hand. There's a referee and 2 linesmen. They failed at their job. He didn't cheat, he tried it on, and got away with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Five and In

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:55 pm 

The story goes........when he turned up at the Testimonial for Ossie Ardiles, he wasn't supposed to play as he had played for Napoli the evening before and they had put the block on it.

He came over anyway to support his friend, but while he was in the changing room, he told Ossie "I'm playing", but had no boots.

The only player with the same size boots was Clive Allen who offered him a pair of boots he had in his locker that he had never worn.
Maradona took one look and said, "No. I want those ones" pointing at Clive's feet, as they were broken in.

Clive handed them over and Maradona played.
Five and In

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:57 pm 

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:

That's the problem we have I think. Most people will say that about being cheated. But he wasn't the first, and certainly wasn't the last, to try to score with his hand. There's a referee and 2 linesmen. They failed at their job. He didn't cheat, he tried it on, and got away with it.

I agree Pete, but if Shilton had got more than three inches off the floor it wouldn't have been an issue.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:59 pm 

Five and In wrote:

I agree Pete, but if Shilton had got more than three inches off the floor it wouldn't have been an issue.

Thumbs Up
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:08 pm 

Didn't Sir Geoff Hurst do it against Sunderland in 1968 to complete a double hat trick? Nobody called HIM a cheat! Wink
beaudog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:40 pm 

Initial reaction not moved very much by the news because of the one act that is so fresh in lots of our memories, the hand of God. But then you realise when reminded of his sublime skills, wonderful control and great goals that you concede he is certainly up there to contend for the accolade the greatest player of all time. What is very clear that in the days without VAR we were let down by incompetent officials who failed to spot the obvious. R.I.P. Diego
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:17 pm 
Post subject:

Had the pleasure of watching him at Hampden in 1979 even if he was destroying my countries national team. R.I.P Diego.
Vova12

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:53 pm 
Post subject:

Its always number one for me.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:39 pm 
Post subject:

The GOAT tag is one there's no definitive answer to but he's definitely up there in the Top Ten (thoough still some way behind Kevin Hector!)

When you take a kid out of the worst slums in Argentina, pack him off to Naples, put him in the spotlight and pay him a shedload of cash, I suppose it's no real surprise that dark forces started to surround him. Wasn't Naples in the middle of a gang war at the time?

While it's easy to draw comparisons between him and George Best, given their backgrounds and addiction problems, I think Maradona would have been quite happy just to play football without all the razamatazz.

And he was a marked man on the pitch. Gentile fouled him how many times in the World Cup in 1990? If he'd played nowadays, he'd have probably been a lot more effective. Or did the aggro he got on the pitch actually act as a motivational factor?

Re THAT game in 1986......never mind the handball (ha ha!), I'm still convinced that his 'wonder' goal should actually go down as a Gary Stevens own goal as the defender got the final touch.
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:26 pm 
Post subject:

My greatest of all time. No question.

Was 14 years old during Mexico 86 and just remember being in absolute awe watching him.

My copy of the Scotland v Argentina 1979 programme has just taken on an extra significance

Fondly remembered in Scotland of course for that 1979 game and also making his international managerial debut against us Jocks at Hampden........and probably one or two other memorable moments as well!

A genius.....a flawed genius but a genius nonetheless

RIP Diego
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:49 pm 
Post subject:

Having said above

I once had the pleasure of sitting next to Terry Butcher at a game many years ago and i asked him about Maradona.....fair to say the big chap did not share my admiration for him.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: