Football Programmes Centre

Favourite programme covers
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Favourite programme covers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:28 pm 
Post subject:

Vova12

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:49 pm 
Post subject:

This program is the most memorable for me because it was the first in my collection. My favorite club Slava did not do program. This is a program dedicaited to the 40 anniversary of club. Slava played with Oxford University that day.
It was after this match that I started collecting programs and later doing them myself for my favorite club.

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:36 pm 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:
Not sure about the players, but the Palace fans certainly would!

We played there in the FA Youth Cup 3 or 4 years ago, I chose not to make the long trip because their previous 3 or 4 home games had been postponed because of the pitch, and the game was only arranged with a weeks notice.

Really wish I had gone now, it's a club I would love to visit

The most noticeable and impressive thing about about a trip to Accrington is the sheer hard work that their volunteers and fans put into the club. It's a miracle that they can survive on such small attendances.
Footyfan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:08 pm 
Post subject:

There are some great programme covers being listed here however, it does beg the question as to whether the owners actually bought the programme in question at the game - how old are you lot?
I used to watch Bradford Park Avenue as a kid when Leeds Utd were playing away, it was a totally different experience, smaller crowd, different ground, and a different programme to add to the collection.

Park Avenue (now long gone) was a joint football and cricket site with Yorkshire CC playing there in the summer months, The football ground was covered on 3 sides but the stand out feature was the 'Dolls House' that incorporated the offices, dressing rooms etc. Avenue featured it on the prigramme cover for 1961/2 and 1962/3 seasons:
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:41 pm 
Post subject:

Footyfan wrote:
There are some great programme covers being listed here however, it does beg the question as to whether the owners actually bought the programme in question at the game - how old are you lot?
I used to watch Bradford Park Avenue as a kid when Leeds Utd were playing away, it was a totally different experience, smaller crowd, different ground, and a different programme to add to the collection.

Park Avenue (now long gone) was a joint football and cricket site with Yorkshire CC playing there in the summer months, The football ground was covered on 3 sides but the stand out feature was the 'Dolls House' that incorporated the offices, dressing rooms etc. Avenue featured it on the prigramme cover for 1961/2 and 1962/3 seasons:

What is the relevance to your question?

What does it matter whether it was purchased at the game or not?, I have been going to see United since 1962 and have seen 98% off the games at Old Trafford since then as well as 100's away and abroad, but if I want to collect items older than myself which I would suggest 95% off collectors do-your question to me is therefore one of some form of issue that you have that others can buy the older items?, or is there another reason at all that I have missed or in your eyes you should only collect programmes from the games you ever went too?. Confused.com for sure! Laughing

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Footyfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:15 pm 
Post subject:

It was just a general question said with tongue in cheek!
I think the covers being listed are great and of course it does not matter at all if you actually attended the game. I wish I had such nice items in my collection. Thumbs Up
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:17 pm 
Post subject:

I think if you would have added this at the end of your post, it would have been taken as tongue in cheek
Laughing Laughing Laughing

I obtained this next item whilst I was in short kecs Very Happy

Walsall T Swifts v Newton Heath 1890-1 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:27 pm 
Post subject:

Didn’t get to this match; however, whoever did kept the programme in great condition with its cover. Cardiff City v Everton 1921/2.

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:06 pm 
Post subject:

Sorry for filling this topic up with old covers. It’s just that I rarely find time to look at my collection and thought it would be good to let people see items that are usually sitting in a board backed comic bag out of sight.

Here is a 35/6 Gateshead

Last edited by Carlisleprogs on Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
rams10

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:24 pm 
Post subject:

Carlisleprogs wrote:
Sorry for filling this topic up with old covers. It’s just that I rarely find time to look at my collection and just thought it would be good to let people see items that are usually just sitting in a board backed comic bag out of sight.

Here is a 35/6 Gateshead

I'm still working, but am in the same position as you were as in rarely finding time to view my collection.
And am enjoying your posting of these.You have a great collection of unusual and rare programmes. More of the same please. Smile
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:35 pm 
Post subject:

As a kid one of my nightmares was being made to wear jumpers knitted by my Grandmother. My Dad and Mam couldn’t afford shop bought stuff. Looking back and seeing the advert on the 30/1 Hull City for woollen underwear, I probably got off lightly ! The programme also records a 10 nil home win on the cover.

Woods advertised on Hull programmes through the 20s and 30s and mainly concentrated on the City Bowler as shown in the 25/6 issue v Darlington

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:47 pm 
Post subject:

A few post war Workington homes from 1945/6. Small, plain programmes but rare. The first v Annfield is first post war home, the second is for Rocky and the third is Newcastle v Blackpool.

kcs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:34 am 
Post subject:

Some lovely covers being posted here.

This is probably my favourite Leeds home cover throughout the years.

Although a close second is the 48/49 cover

And one more for luck, the ground picture used for several 49/50 home games is also up there for me

Will try and post some non league favourites in the coming days.

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
Basford United

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:41 am 
Post subject:

Great programmes - would any show Jim Twomey in goal? He was my sister-in-laws' father
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:31 am 
Post subject:

"It’s just that I rarely find time to look at my collection and thought it would be good to let people see items that are usually sitting in a board backed comic bag out of sight"-Carlisleprogs.

Well from one Leslie to another Leslie I find your remark above so sad in the fact it is all stashed away and not even you are getting any pleasure. Just think of the thousands if not Millions of football fans around the world who could be seeing your stuff everyday on the likes of Flickr in particular or a website you have set up independently. Yes we have already chatted briefly about this and there was a free Flickr service with limited use, that has now gone but to obtain a subscription the rate is currently around £78 quid for 2 YEARS- so what that then 730 days for a penny or so a day to showcase some treasures that others would love to see or even know exists.

No I am not on commission re Flickr!, but having started the first football memorabilia on that platform in 2007 I have now uploaded 16,800 or so images and have at least half as much again to load up from the 1880's but the main issue is that the site is generating interest every day with average views on those images of around 5000 or so, some days 12,000, some 16,000 some days 3000. To date the overall viewings across the images, photo stream, collections is just under 15 Million and as I say growing daily, of late more folks have had that bit extra time to devote of course.

I try and add a few words with most postings to let the viewer know a little about the results, scorers, attendance ect ect wherever I can or some snippet of information allied to whatever the item is.

I have long complained about the boredom of scanning but the benefits are all there to see.

I am not looking for any pats on the back, I did this originally for my self to keep tabs on what I had just in case of any issues, but as collecting is never ending so are the uploads, it does not matter if it is a 20p bus ticket or some expensive rarity-it is what you collect and each collection is important to that person be it modern day items or stuff from a 100+ years ago-sometimes it has no correlation to monetary value, it is as individual as we all are.

Just my thoughts, but especially now with us all having more time on our hands I would rather be bored scanning that putting up shelves or similar stuff Laughing

Keep Well, Keep Safe, Keep Sane and Keep indoors! Wave

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:45 am 
Post subject:

Hull City v Crystal Palace 31.1.1925.

FA Cup (or English Cup as described inside) 2nd round and Palace slid to their second defeat in a fortnight at Anlaby Road. Beaten by a team of pussy-cats too if the lovely image on the cover is right, but at least the gents there would be nice and warm if they shopped at Ward & Abercrombie.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:51 pm 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
it does not matter if it is a 20p bus ticket or some expensive rarity-it is what you collect and each collection is important to that person be it modern day items or stuff from a 100+ years ago-sometimes it has no correlation to monetary value, it is as individual as we all are.

Well said Leslie...I think its a point that sometimes get lost in the hobby.

I have a collection of 350 plus programmes dating from 2009, that have little monetary value, but they are worth more to me than any expensive individual programmes from any era.

These are the programmes I would never part with, because these are the games, complete with team-sheet and tickets. that my young un's have attended.

As I said not worth anything to anyone else, but to us, a unique part of the memories.

www.flickr.com/photos/sharrowblade/albums/72157626074614032

By the way, some great programme covers on show, great to see them.
Especially during these strange days

Likewise if anyone has any from this day in history, the challenge is up and running again. Can we do another calendar year. Confused

Stay safe everybody.

Regards Sharrow
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:17 pm 
Post subject:

By the 1937/8 season the well dressed man in Hull was wearing the City Hat rather than the City Bowler. No mention of woollen underwear. The tigers were looking less friendly too. This example is for the match v New Brighton which ended in a 1. 1 draw

seand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:24 pm 
Post subject:

a modern cover I'm fond of, UCD's Euro games in 2015

Classic Soviet Bloc match and cover

Old League of Ireland representative match
seand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:30 pm 
Post subject:

A couple of classic Dundalk ones.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: