Football Programmes Centre

Yearly Agony Continue next season or stop!
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Yearly Agony Continue next season or stop!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewesq

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:48 pm 
Post subject: Yearly Agony Continue next season or stop!

So here we are at end of another season and my annual pondering of should I continue draining bank balance to collect next seasons as well, every year I say I stop but end up getting drawing in to purchases pre season friendlies, then league then the OCD in me just continues.
I know the modern day programmes are worthless but its that sake of completeness that bugs me.

Can anyone advise how to stop and the benefits it brings!
bluefatnose

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:50 pm 
Post subject:

Take up a cheaper hobby, like smoking. Would save you a fortune.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:00 pm 
Post subject:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:37 pm 
Post subject: Re: Yearly Agony Continue next season or stop!

andrewesq wrote:
So here we are at end of another season and my annual pondering of should I continue draining bank balance to collect next seasons as well, every year I say I stop but end up getting drawing in to purchases pre season friendlies, then league then the OCD in me just continues.
I know the modern day programmes are worthless but its that sake of completeness that bugs me.

Can anyone advise how to stop and the benefits it brings!

As a "brother in arms" having the same dilemma each summer I can now say that after much soul searching, I have come to the intellectual conclusion stating "bollocks", despite not having even opened a copy since 2012 home or away, "we go again"! Laughing
Wave

Oh but i draw the line of the under 17/under 18/under23 lavvy paper! Very Happy

PS there are no benefits either way, u will just waste yer money if you stop on bevvy, snout, women and the same if u carry on!.

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
colchestersid

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:59 pm 
Post subject:

I take the opposite view - ignore all league issues, collect cup games, friendlies and everything non first team.

By avoiding the 38 Premier League booklets I save a couple of hundred quid and storage is no longer a problem
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:08 pm 
Post subject:

I stopped collecting all the home and away programmes. per se, of Auchinleck Talbot many moons ago. Space, rather than cost determining what I do now collect.

I collect all matches from the Junior Cup, where we get to the Final. We've our 8th final in the last 11 seasons this Sunday so I still have quite a few. I also collect all senior Scottish Cup ties that we are involved in, and anything going back to the 1970s. I have the only 11 programmes I've ever seen from the early 1970s when Talbot produced single sheet foolscap size issues (anyone else remember that size who isn't 60 plus?)

Now, though, my emphasis is on collecting memorabilia relating to the club. I have over 75 match specific pennants, ie those exchanged between clubs prior to kick off, since the 1980s involving Talbot. Does anyone else have any amount of match specific pennants like that? I do get some really lovely memorabilia given to me by the club as I'm now an unofficial archivist for them, and it saves them having to look after everything. When I croak it my will was recently rewritten to say that everything in my office goes straight to the club - so they'll then have a wonderfully catalogued archive, plus a few other bits and bobs, and my library of course. Both parties more than happy with the arrangement.
andrewesq

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:02 am 
Post subject:

Thanks for all your advice, hopefully I can break the habit without too much pain
Eck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:03 pm 
Post subject:

I sold my Rangers collection in 2015, I have recently started again and decided at my fresh start. Nothing after 1970.
Footyfan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:04 pm 
Post subject:

Since the early 1990s I have limited my collecting to 1st & Last Home games plus all cup games Home & Away each season.
I find this tends to give a good cross section of clubs including across the league etc plus alll the statistics from the 2 home League games.
Not too difficut to stiore, the cost is minmal, particularly if the cup runs end abruptly, but include the big games if the cup run goes well.
Dorking

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:19 pm 
Post subject:

No plans to ever give up, will just get more boxes!
Do find it infuriating when friendlies don't have programmes! Feel lost!
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:28 pm 
Post subject:

Have enough room for about another 18 seasons on the shelves where I store my collection. So will keep collecting all Rovers home, away and others for at least that long. May have to make a decision then.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
andrewesq

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:41 pm 
Post subject:

4 games in and programmes now in hand for all of them
Damn it I cant break this hobby
grantham

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:38 pm 
Post subject:

2 games and pre-season gone and I have resisted.

My collection doesnt include any 2019-20 programmes
Given that I've not read any issue for the last 10 years, will I miss them ? Maybe, but I'm always offered collections for sale and may tick them off in the future, but thats £150 that can be better spent
CanaryHonestMan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:58 pm 
Post subject:

So today, the second Norwich City home game of the season, Usually I pick issues up at the end of the season when they're virtually given away, but today someone left the Chelsea issue behind as I was leaving. And I have to ask myself - why do I bother now? I really think this season could be it. Today's programme was £3.50 for 116 pages of - well, nothing really. There was no content which intrigued or challenged me, or anything which, when I got to the bottom of the page, made me think: "Well I didn't know that."

I keep modern issues of games I go to together with press reports, but the accounts in both national and local titles are really falling away in quality now.

Tpday truly was a "Damascus" moment when I thought the end of the 2019/20 season really will be it. I'd rather spend the money on old issues. After then it'll be new grounds and other matches not featuring Norwich.
MINSTERMAN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:25 am 
Post subject:

My lad went to the Middlesbrough v Wigan game the other night and came back with a programme.

In these days when many collectors are bemoaning the over-sized gloss and dross of programmes, I have to say that the Boro issue came as a welcome surprise.

It consisted of 40 pages for £2, on reasonable quality but not over-thick paper, and had a good mix of contents for the money. Although this may be an undesiraable feature for all of us on here, it could easily be folded. More importantly, it could easily be stored.

It seems a common sense approach to keeping a programme going, priced and sized at a level that might encourage supporters to buy it.

The future of programmes perhaps? Not before time too.

PS I don't ever see me stopping collecting modern day issues involving my club.
cardiff55

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:43 pm 
Post subject:

I sold my 'proper' collection i9n 1994 and have started again twice since!

For me it's not the having of the items it's the finding and buying them. i think it is some form of addiction.

So this time around I am trying to buy rarities and nothing after 1980s, but have just relapsed and bought a collection of Cardiff 80s, minus a few so i can try and find them.

I said this season I wouldn't get any more but get my home one free, so i thought I'd just not get aways, but have bought one so far.

Like other posters I draw the line at A4 photcopy single sheet reserve and your games. Strangely there seems to be a few at Cardiff on Ebay for games at Cardiff at youth level where I know nothing was produced..All versus the same club, just an A4 sheet with the teams noted and a badge at the top. These sheets are so easy to fake it's not worth buying them , not even at £1.

Tony
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: