Football Programmes Centre

Republic of Ireland programme Info 1924 to date
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Republic of Ireland programme Info 1924 to date

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Irish
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyspain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:50 pm 
Post subject: Republic of Ireland programme Info 1924 to date

I’ve got a few questions lately re Republic of ireland programmes. Here is a quick overview of senior Internationals home and away. Corrections, questions and clarifications welcome. It is a bit of a ramble but I’m trying to cover any questions that normally come up. I hope it is useful.

Unless otherwise mentioned there were programmes done.

Olympics and early years

Programmes exist for both Bulgaria and Netherlands in the 1924 Olympics. Estonia is not known to exist. The home game v USA in 1924 is also unknown. These were considered full internationals by the FAI until the 1960’s. They were re-classified as amateur. They are still considered full Internationals by our opponents.

Major Finals

Brochure and individual programmes done for Euro 88. Black and white media/VIP teamsheets also done. Brochures only and colour media/VIP teamsheets in 2012 & 2016.

Brochure and colour VIP/media teamsheets (2 different types one with squads one with actual lineups ) in 1990. Teamsheet with lineups given out to fans in Cagliari but didn’t make it outside official areas at other games. A5 brochure handed out in a bank in Sicily has been sold as media programme for Palermo on ebay. It is pretty rare but was never available at games. Colour sheets in 94. 2 slightly different English language gameday programmes in 94 (no Spanish versions) one has NY/NJ info at the back and the other has Orlando. They are identical apart from the last couple of pages. Done for all venues in the first and second rounds but NJ & Orlando covers all Irish games. There were overall brochures in English and Spanish. The Spanish one was readily available at the Mexico game in Orlando but not easy to get elsewhere. Note the programme for the later rounds was only produced from the quarter finals on. There is no Orlando version (Dutch game was last at the venue in WC) of it and it was not on sale at the Dutch game.

Overall brochures in Korean and Japanese in 2002. A3 colour sheets distributed to the fans for games in Japan in 2002. A3 4-page issues done for Germany game and some non Irish games in Japan. Pretty certain these were not done for Cameroon and Saudi. Only done apparently for one game per day in Japan. Much rarer Niigata Nippo issue done for Cameroon. Nothing in Suwon for Spain apart from black and white media sheet.

Homes

Programmes exist for all home games except Belgium 1929. I expect one was issued but there are no known extant copies. Others from the period are particularly rare. Two at least known for Italy 27 and two or three for Spain 1931 (one sold in the last decade or so may have been the same one known for many many years). The person who had it passed away and left his stuff to a family member who doesn’t collect actively.

I have Italy 27 (bought privately) and a well known collector in Dublin has a copy. His was the first known copy. He acquired his in the early 1980’s in a swop with a rugby collector. He provided photocopies at the time to a number of us. This would have been well known at the time and no secrets here nothing to hide.

Note I am aware of a photocopy of another Italy 27 that must have existed at least in the early part of this century. There is a lot more to this story but the person who had the photocopy and allowed it to be displayed publicly by somebody who sold programmes at the time passed away 15 years ago. The person displaying the photocopy originally said the original was open to offers. The person who obtained the majority of his “good programmes” also subsequently passed away and his better items have never been sold publicly.

I’m aware the well known collector (never online) who still has Italy 27 since the early 80’s got quite angry at reports that it was a copy of his programme on public display. As he pointed out himself “whether you believe me or not my copy has a black mark on the bottom visible in all the photocopies”. The one on display was in better condition and had no mark. I can confirm this to be true.

Aways

The only known aways pre-war are Netherlands 32 & 34, Switzerland 35 & 37, Germany 35 and Norway 37. I need Germany 35 but have got a photocopy.

I was aware of rumours many years ago of a France 37 away but never saw it. Likewise heard rumours of Estonia 24 but possibly unlikely as this was a friendly in Paris arranged at short notice when both countries were eliminated.

Spain 1946 is not known to exist. However there is only one known extant copy of Spain 48 which was part of a collection of a number of Spanish homes from the period unearthed many years ago. Likewise I know of only two copies of 52 in Madrid.

Portugal 46 & 48 are not known to exist. Portugal v Wales 49 in Lisbon is also unknown I believe however there is one known extant copy of Portugal v Scotland 1950. So maybe there were also programmes produced in the 1940’s. Anybody know anything re England 47 and 50 in Lisbon?

Note items on ebay often are not the official programmes for Spain 52 & France 53. The official programmes are A5 issues. These are clearly and obviously the official programmes.

Spain stopped producing programmes circa 1961 and didn’t issue until well in to the 1970’s (maybe early 80’s). It is highly unlikely there was anything in Seville in 64 or 65. Ditto for Valencia 66 and nothing bar a media pack in Seville 88. There was a programme for the Spain 65 playoff in Paris. This is a larger than A4 yellow and red printed double-sided sheet by France Football (pretty sure it was them it is no to hand) distributed to the fans. These were officially sanctioned and considered the programme for other games in the Parc des Princes eg Rheims v Hibs.

Nothing known for Poland 70,76 & 78. Nothing done except possibly press teamsheets in 81, 86 &2013 (definitely a teamsheet) in Poland. They did issue programmes for 58, 64, 68 & 73.

Luxembourg 54 is not known to exist. No programme in 87 but badly photocopied teamsheet given out In the main stand.

There was a programme for the Brazil Independence Cup in 1972. It is A4 purple and has official programme in Portuguese on the cover. Nothing known for anything else in South America in 74 or 82. Likewise nothing known for Trinidad and Tobago or Algeria 82.

West Germany B 81 in Bremen has eluded me. I heard rumours that it was a double issue with West Germany v Brazil but have scoured every page of the DfB issue and we are not mentioned. I assume a possible 2nd issue which are common enough in Germany. It may even relate to the German media guide which would have been done for Brazil but I’ve never seen.

The Turkey aways in the 60’s and 70’s are all unknown. However Turkey did issue some programmes in that period most likely VIP only and possibly only for competitive games. 1990 in Izmir does exist. It is around A5 size and was VIP only. 91 is A4 size and again was VIP only.

Programmes do exist but are scarce for games such as Sweden 49, Finland 49, Belgium 50, Austria 52,58 (2 issues for both of these I need the orange and white 52 issue), 66 & 71. Denmark 69 exists as does Italy 70 and Sweden 70. Czechoslovakia 59 & 69 also exist as well as the more common issues from 61 & 67.

Andorra 2001 & 2011 both exist and both were VIP only. In 01 most were forgotten and not brought to Barcelona. The Dutch programmes were brought instead. The print-run in 2011 was as low as 60 I believe.

Bulgaria 79 is thought to be a non issue. Certainly nothing known.

No programme done for Belgium 86 or 97.

No official programme done for Austria 95 but German pirate considered the programme. They did issue for the U21 game the night before.

Nothing done in Gyor for Hungary 91.

Not even a press teamsheet done in Tirana in 93. The teams were written on a blackboard for the media to write them down.

Portugal 95 saw an A5 official programme 16 pages same style as the common U21 issue from the night before. There was an A4 FAI away issue and an A4 issue produced in Ballsbridge Dublin sold outside the away end as official but this was a pirate. The guy selling it claimed to have permission from the Portuguese FA to produce the programme. The U21 programme is common because the away fans were brought through the VIP entrance and we could take what we wanted of the programmes. I got the official one the following night after much pleading and asking.

Croatia 99 saw a small VIP only programme produced.

Iran 2001 saw an A4 VIP only programme produced by the Asian Federation.

Only a press teamsheet done in Mainz for Georgia 2008.

Denmark 2017 & 2018 saw no programmes just black and white teamsheets for media and VIPs.

No programmes this century in the United States for any of our games. Teamsheets done for all games. The New England Revolution programme for the MLS doubleheader game in 2007 does not cover/mention our game. Philadelphia Union did have a home game the night after the Costa Rica game in 2014. I’ve never seen the programme as a friend had planned to attend and buy one but got too comfortable in a bar. Only media/VIP teamsheets available at the Costa Rica game though. The day after the Costa Rica game I attended Spain v El Salvador in Washington DC and the DC United MLS programme for a doubleheader actually was a double issue with the Spain game.

Only a media/VIP teamsheet for Italy in Liege in 2011.

If not mentioned then a programme exists unless I’ve forgotten something.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:17 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks Gary, a very interesting read.

A couple of points. Spain issues in the 60/70's, no issue for the Scotland game in Madrid in 1963, but there is an issue in existence for the Scotland game in Valencia in 1975, I know of at least 3 copies. A5 size running to around 32 pages. There was also an issue at the same venue for a friendly in 1982. There are also issues for 1985 (Seville) and 1988 (Madrid) Scotland games.

Portugal v Scotland 1950, I believe there are at least two known copies, one of which was sourced from Brazil! Roughly A4 sized and I think only 4 pages.

Turkey v Scotland in 1960 is an unknown, I don;t belive any copy has surfaced.
seand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:04 am 
Post subject:

Wow, thanks Gary, great stuff. I may be back for clarification! Any spare 1924 Olympics programmes going cheap Laughing
seand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:54 am 
Post subject:

Did the original version of the Ireland-Scotland 2015 ever come to light? I believe an entire print run was pulped and reprinted due to some inappropriate comment from our esteemed CEO! (the same week Sligo withdrew a programme that prematurely announced the departure of manager Owen Heary)
garyspain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:00 am 
Post subject:

seand wrote:
Did the original version of the Ireland-Scotland 2015 ever come to light? I believe an entire print run was pulped and reprinted due to some inappropriate comment from our esteemed CEO! (the same week Sligo withdrew a programme that prematurely announced the departure of manager Owen Heary)

Not to my knowledge.
garyspain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:08 am 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
Thanks Gary, a very interesting read.

A couple of points. Spain issues in the 60/70's, no issue for the Scotland game in Madrid in 1963, but there is an issue in existence for the Scotland game in Valencia in 1975, I know of at least 3 copies. A5 size running to around 32 pages. There was also an issue at the same venue for a friendly in 1982. There are also issues for 1985 (Seville) and 1988 (Madrid) Scotland games.

Portugal v Scotland 1950, I believe there are at least two known copies, one of which was sourced from Brazil! Roughly A4 sized and I think only 4 pages.

Turkey v Scotland in 1960 is an unknown, I don;t belive any copy has surfaced.

Thanks for the info.

I'm pretty certain no programme produced in Seville in 88 or indeed for Northern Ireland a month later. They did issue in 83 & 92 v Rep of Ireland. Both were available to the fans.

Interesting re Portugal. Anyone know if they issued v England in 1947 and 1950?
1980Cossie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:45 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Gary,

Do you know anything about a 1922 Norway v Ireland International match? I have a 4-page newspaper style programme dated 23rd May 1922 although it's in very poor condition and needs restoring. I can't find any information on this tour anywhere

I have enclosed some scans:

garyspain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:22 pm 
Post subject:

Yes. This is Northern Ireland. They played 2 games Norway. My understanding was that one was a full International and the other was against a local select. However having just checked both countries result on www.rsssf.com I don't see either game listed.

I have both programmes but would need to dig them up. My memory is the one in Oslo was a single page with lineups. The game in Bergen was a newspaper style issue. Yours doesn't look familiar but having said that I haven't looked at them for many many years.

On further thought possibly the game is Oslo is now considered an amateur International.
1980Cossie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:41 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Gary - Many thanks for the information. The one i have must be for the second match in Oslo. I'm not sure if mine is a proper programme or not however does have a welcome message from the president of the Norwegian FA on the front cover in English and only talks about this match on every page with line-ups inside so it's possible was given out at the game. The top and bottom area of the paper is missing so it's hard to really tell exactly what it is or who produced it
thanks,
Robert
seand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:46 am 
Post subject:

The brilliant NIFG blog has details of both matches. I'll let you read it there, including a lengthy post on 'disputed' matches

http://nifootball.blogspot.com/2010/11/108-25-may-1922.html
http://nifootball.blogspot.com/2009/04/28-may-1922.html
http://nifootball.blogspot.com/2006/08/disputed-internationals.html
1980Cossie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:23 pm 
Post subject:

Many thanks for the info, which confirms this was an inter-association match and not a full international as previously noted by Gary in the earlier post.
There is a picture of the ''program'' to the right in the link which also confirms the newspaper i have is not the match programme so probably not worth having restored.
thanks again,
Robert
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Irish All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: