Football Programmes Centre

Is it time to call it a day?.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Is it time to call it a day?.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:10 pm 
Post subject: Is it time to call it a day?.

When do you draw a line under looking for that elusive addition to your collection.
I have been looking for a Kettering v Wellingborough NSCQF 26 /1/77 to finalise my collection for 76 /77 season it is the only one I need home and away I must have been after this for over ten years, been reliably informed that one is in existence all be it a single sheeter, although I am now begining to have my droughts.
I have put adds in local newspapers, club programmes and joined every prog site post that may lead me to obtaining a copy but without any luck.
So what do you think I should do my fellow collectors call it a day or carry on punishing myself. ❤️.
grantham

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:43 pm 
Post subject:

Stop actively looking for it and it will crop-up, its called the 'law of the sod'
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:31 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks buddy.... Willing to give that a try, will try anything so disheartening. ❤️
dereksuffolk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:35 pm 
Post subject:

Hi
I sold this week an Ipswich v Reading single sheet 1975/76 reserves programme on Ebay. It was great to hear back from the buyer he played 8 times for Reading reserves that season on trial and never thought he would manage to find the programme after all these years. Always great when you hear a programme has gone to someone who it means a lot too.
Derek
bee007

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:33 pm 
Post subject:

I only need 3 Barnet programmes to complete every season back to 1965(when Barnet turned Pro) I have semi given up looking on every website and attending Fairs, but live in hope that one day they might just appear somewhere(2 Programmes + 1 Teamsheet that I know are out there somewhere)
slightfold

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:33 pm 
Post subject:

If you could just look at lists of programmes which had all you wanted and just ordered everything what would be the fun in that? Surely the thrill, if that is the right word, is in the chase. I have an eclectic collection and have wants lists in every section. I know that I will never complete most of them, but it does not deter me from carrying on. Every now and then another appears alas more slowly nowadays, sometimes even my list lengthens when I find out about another obscure friendly, grrr!
Mind you if I was down to just one to complete I would bid more than it is worth if I had to.
So don't give up, just carry on and wait. Smile
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:28 pm 
Post subject:

just adding my two pennies worth for what it is worth.

I had to get rid of a lot of my collection in the mid 1980's[that included over 200 Pre-War MU home and away], I started again and I had to sell most of it in 2000.

I have had a complete set of home and away's back to the War before but it was broken up, but I eventually persevered and started again in 2001 and it took me this time 17 years to complete yet AGAIN.

As for the Pre-War items I have been able to reach well over 400 now but I will more than likely not see some of them again-perhaps.

Perseverance and on many occasions items have turned up when you least expect them too and you have lost hope to some degree, but NEVER give up and that applies to most other things in this life.

I have had to put things "on hold" over the years and concentrate elsewhere and sometimes as much as life can kick you in the bollocks it can also look down on you and give you some fresh hope in life and in collecting terms, so from these few words you have my thoughts on the matter! Wink

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:38 am 
Post subject:

I first put an ad in PM back in the mid-80s for the 55/6 Barrow v Derby s/s issue. Almost 35 years later I'm still looking for that one.

Won't give up, though......a kind soul did send me a photocopy of one and another one did appear in an auction 4 or 5 years ago (as part of a large bundle of Barrow homes....which went for many hundreds of pounds. I wonder why? Ha ha).

The gate that day was 6,074. A very foggy day. I reckon they'd have printed about 2,000 of these flimsy sheets. Even if only 1% of them have survived the years that leaves 20 still knocking around in collections or at the bottom of Cumbrian cupboards. I know of 3 people who own a copy. That leaves 17. One day I might find one.

Here's the little beauty in question - the programme number suggests quite a few rolled off the printing press.

Don't give up on the Kettering prog - as the day you do, it'll probably turn up on EBay. Life's funny that way.
stfcprogman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:36 pm 
Post subject:

Still looking for Northampton v Swindon 47-8. There must be a copy somewhere!
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:54 pm 
Post subject:

Good luck with that one. ❤️.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: