Football Programmes Centre

Stadiums in the movies
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Stadiums in the movies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dinky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:42 pm 
Post subject:

Boghead former home of Dumbarton was used in A Shot Of Glory .
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:10 pm 
Post subject: Re: Stadiums in the movies

Flaming Pie wrote:
‘A Football Compendium’ , Peter J Seddon , Pub The British Library 1999, documents over 70 football themed films with lots of info on which football grounds are shown in the films. A few not mentioned on the forum are: The Cup Final mystery 1914 with shots of the Crystal Palace, The ball of fortune 1926 with the great Billy Meredith appearing as himself training a team, The great game 1930 with footage of Arsenal v Huddersfield FA Cup Final , Spotlight on the pools 1949 with footage of Charlton v Burnley at The Valley, Charley Bubbles 1967 with Old Trafford footage. Too many to mention, but if this subject is of interest, try and get hold of the Seddon book . Not a film, but did appear in the classic Michael Owen Percil soap powder TV add( was it 2007?) . Was on the touch - line as a spectator. They gave you £50 cash in hand, a roast dinner and apple pie and custard . This was filmed in North Wales, Deeside Sports Centre.

A super book by Seddon and one that helped me put together many of the brief guide posts on my blog website.

That aside, Hallam F.C as well as Bramhall Lane (I think) were used in When Saturday Comes - Sean Bean combining drinking pints with trying to be a pro footballer and being a constant source of bewilderment to Emily Lloyd.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:59 pm 
Post subject: Stadiums in the movies

Goalandwickets, l notice that quite a few copies of the Seddon book are going for just a couple of quid on that well known book selling site at the moment. Definitely worth purchasing if you haven’t already got it.
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:05 pm 
Post subject: Re: Stadiums in the movies

Flaming Pie wrote:
Goalandwickets, l notice that quite a few copies of the Seddon book are going for just a couple of quid on that well known book selling site at the moment. Definitely worth purchasing if you haven’t already got it.

Interesting, although I've already got one.

The book is a must for anyone collecting old or older football books and annuals.
Benno Spire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:04 pm 
Post subject:

The game at patrick Thistle for the Taggert episode was against Chesterfield in a friendly
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:34 pm 
Post subject:

Useless trivia:

"Chelsea v East Cheam United" at Stamford Bridge is featured on the Hancock's Half Hour TV episode "The Football Pools" from November 1959.

Crystal Palace v Coventry City and Leyton Orient v Derby are referred to in a couple of the Hancock radio episodes.

White City stadium is one of the locationsused in "Steptoe and Son Ride Again"

West Ham v Man Utd is highlighted in "The Alf Garnett Saga" movie (as well as cameo performances from Bobby Moore and George Best). Unusualin that filming seems to have taken place in the main stand during the actual game. You'll be lucky to see this one on any channel nowadays given the language is a tad risque for today's viewers. It's on YouTube, though.
kempo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:27 am 
Post subject: stadiums in the movies

remember Somerton Park Newport County,s old ground being used for an episode of casualty
kempo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:27 am 
Post subject: stadiums in the movies

remember Somerton Park Newport County,s old ground being used for an episode of casualty
Five and In

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:52 pm 

In 1983 there was an awful TV Film called "Those Glory Glory Days" which featured White Hart Lane.
There was also a cameo role for Danny Blanchflower in it, but regardless of his involvement, it was still dire. Crying or Very sad
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:46 pm 

‘ The Golden Vision’ 1968 BBC Play For Today. Based on a group of Evertonians devotion to Everton legend Alex Young. Goodison Park scenes in this. One of Director Ken Loach’s first efforts . Loach must have had a thing about football. In his next film, ’ Kes’ , PE teacher, Brian Glover, stole the show trying to convince a group of his pupils , that he was as good as Bobby Charlton!
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:01 pm 
Post subject:

JJPROGRAMMES wrote:

I do believe it was MTK Budapest's ground Sherlock

It was but sadly now gone with a new stadium built in its place. They rotated the pitch 90 degrees and there are walls behind both goals, no spectator facilities. Horrible.

Another one, I'm sure a derelict Plough Lane was used in an episode of The Bill.
se20blue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:11 pm 
Post subject:

[quote="Tynie Topics"]
JJPROGRAMMES wrote:

I do believe it was MTK Budapest's ground Sherlock

It was but sadly now gone with a new stadium built in its place. They rotated the pitch 90 degrees and there are walls behind both goals, no spectator facilities. Horrible.

Another one, I'm sure a derelict Plough Lane was used in an episode of The Bill.

Correct, the set for The Bill was an old wine distribution warehouse in Merton, South West London.
overlap

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:38 pm 
Post subject:

"White City stadium is one of the locations used in "Steptoe and Son Ride Again"

White City Stadium also features in the climax of the Ealing film The Blue Lamp (a dog racing meeting I think) as Dirk Bogarde skulks among the crowd.
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:40 pm 
Post subject:

I always cringe when I see Anfield featured in the film "The 51st State" Not only was the film garbage but the executive box was featured from the Main stand when they weren't in that part of the ground then.

The TV series"Scully" also featured Anfield in the opening credits.
Hoops68

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:08 pm 
Post subject:

Not quite the movies but my team, Aldershot, was used as the venue for a 1999 ITV drama called Bostock's Cup which starred Nick Hancock and Tim Healy.
mcfc56

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:55 am 
Post subject:

A few years ago a fellow City fan posted this vid of various scenes shot on location at Maine Road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcJAzk2ptVU

Re Yesterday's Hero that was mentioned earlier, I was at one of the matches at which location filming took place, Ipswich Town v Manchester City in Division One on 31st March 1979.
Kick Off Programme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:56 pm 
Post subject:

Elland Roads West Stand (or John Charles as it is now) was used for some Wembley shots in the Kings Speech, as well as Odsal
markb9060

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:16 pm 
Post subject:

I remember watching Charley Bubbles 1967 as already mentioned on here and a very young sounding Stretford End can be heard singing in the background.
Also just watched a Youtube link posted from mcfc56 where it shows a clip from the TV series 'The Lovers' 1971 and Richard Beckinsale (cell mate in 'Porridge') is meeting his mate outside Maine Road to watch City.
Interesting to note that in the film 'The Lovers' 1973 two years later his loyalties lie with United where he turns up at Old Trafford with the lovely Paula Wilcox (even though they're not playing)! but still manage to keep themselves entertained.
stickman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:52 am 
Post subject:

Baltimore wrote:
I recollect Minder at Craven Cottage

And didn’t Elland Road appear in a episode of Porridge?

I also recall Magpie ( Mick Robertson) training with Tony Godden at the Hawthorns!

From memory the punch line of the Porridge Episode has a character finally finding the location of some buried loot only to be nicked as he's digging up Elland Road. For the filming they actually used Loftus Road.

QPR's ground was also used in The Rutles film when then the pre-fab four played The Che Stadium ... obviously a riff on the The Shea Stadium.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:51 pm 
Post subject:

One more I've spotted - the floodlights for Slough Town's old stadium featured in 1970's "Carry On Loving".

Third photograph along....

https://www.reelstreets.com/films/carry-on-loving/
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: