Football Programmes Centre

The Christmas Manchester Fair
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Christmas Manchester Fair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Football Programme Fairs. In honour of Gordon Bennett. RIP
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Footiebadgebloke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:44 pm 
Post subject: The Christmas Manchester Fair

Footiebadgebloke

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:00 pm 
Post subject:

Only 68 more sleeps until the Christmas Mancunian Fair (as at 20thOct)
RIKERBCFC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:18 pm 
Post subject:

YAWN ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Footiebadgebloke

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:36 pm 
Post subject:

RIKERBCFC wrote:
YAWN ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

You never shut up to get any sleep Stewart Nod
Footiebadgebloke

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:41 pm 
Post subject: Re: the christmas

TheSorter! wrote:
Yes I can't wait to be ripped off by dealers! Very Happy

no mate, all the chancers are on Ebay Judge
RIKERBCFC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:54 pm 
Post subject:

You never shut up to get any sleep Stewart Nod[/quote]

Very Happy Laughing

Don't forget to put your clocks back next Saturday you get an extra hour sleep or more time to list another xx number of items on ebay.
I remember a footballer turning up an hour early for a match then went home when nobodyelse turned up and missed the match.
whosbrianwilson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:49 pm 
Post subject:

Look forward to it ..... but please tell your dealers to place sensible prices on their stock. Sometimes I think they don't want to sell the best items .... just display them on the backboards.
RIKERBCFC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:56 pm 
Post subject:

I will have loads of trade/cigarette cards old and modern up to 2018-19 season at moderate prices.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:40 pm 
Post subject:

whosbrianwilson wrote:
Look forward to it ..... but please tell your dealers to place sensible prices on their stock. Sometimes I think they don't want to sell the best items .... just display them on the backboards.

When I do the odd fair down south I always try to put a price on stuff that I hope will attract buyers. I assume others do to. When you're asking for "sensible prices" are you asking for cheap prices?

Look at pricing laterally for a moment, rather than just the price you see on the day. Dealers have stall rental to take into account, fuel costs to and from the event, and in my own case an overnight stay as well, which means I have to take about £120 before I'm even in profit. Does anyone who moans about prices ever say "here's a couple of bob for coming down from Scotland to help with things?"

What does pee me off is the kind of bloke - and we've all seen them - who stand pawing at your programmes, taking 20 or 30 out and inspecting them individually taking them out of their bags, and then proceed to put them back untidily and not in the order they left the box, and ask what's the best price on a £3 programme. It happens every time and is so frustrating because you know what's going to happen. Please don't criticise the dealers who put a lot of hard work in to ensure there's a good selection of stuff at most fairs.
whosbrianwilson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:07 pm 
Post subject:

John
We've done a little bit of business together and I hope you would agree that I didn't come over as looking to get anything on the cheap.
The dealers I'm referring to are those who have had the same items on their backboards for years and not sold.
I'm convinced that these become part of their collection in their own sub consciousness. Unless items are priced competively/fairly (substitute your own word as applicable) there will not be a contribution towards their costs.
Nigel
Footiebadgebloke

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:11 pm 
Post subject:

how can you tell that the items are the progs from specific games and therefore the same stock? I myself tend to replace or add to stock , alot of which are the same clubs granted (due to location) but different games from those seasons yet the same covers, also there isn't in reality alot of fairs to move alot of stock to have a high turnaround in the board stock.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:32 pm 
Post subject:

whosbrianwilson wrote:
John
We've done a little bit of business together and I hope you would agree that I didn't come over as looking to get anything on the cheap.
The dealers I'm referring to are those who have had the same items on their backboards for years and not sold.
I'm convinced that these become part of their collection in their own sub consciousness. Unless items are priced competively/fairly (substitute your own word as applicable) there will not be a contribution towards their costs.
Nigel

Hi Nigel, no I didn't, and sorry if it appeared as such a flippant remark, it was more a comment on modern day buying and selling. Here's something though....I sell programmes nowadays to raise funds for my football Club. We had a fair the other week at Inverness Caledonian Thistle - their first ever. It's the kind of Fair I'm keen to set up in Scotland, like the one I do at Auchinleck - where the host club receives the stall rental money and therefore gets something in return for letting us have the room for free.

In the week leading up to the Fair, I bought about 50% of my stock from Auchinleck to my house (31 miles away) to check what I had, and whether or not I thought it might sell at the Fair. I also had a lot of recent donations that needed bagging, having backboards put in them, bags cut to appropriate size, and then all priced up accordingly. It was the best part of 40 hours work, and it was voluntary. If dealers do this they have to recoup some of the expense for spending so much time on it.

It was a 500 mile round trip to Inverness, and with fuel costs of £40 and stall rental of £10 had to make £50 to just break even. We had 23 folk through the door and I was lucky enough to come away with £100 clear profit for the club - but that was for 9 days of my labour in total. Again, as I do it voluntarily that's only an issue for me in terms of my time being spent doing something worthwhile, but if I was doing it for a living, the programmes I'd taken with me would have been priced considerably higher by necessity.

It's not an easy job to do, although it can be very rewarding, and it's all the hidden costs that folk might not consider when just seeing the price up on the backboard.
Westwardprogs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:42 pm 
Post subject:

The next fair I shall be standing at is the MANCUNIAN FOOTBALL PROGRAMME & MEMORABILIA FAIR on THURSDAY DECEMBER 27 at Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel, Langham Road, Altrincham, WA14 2HT (10.30am-2.30pm). Admission is £1 (U16's FREE).

As a relatively new dealer, of only six years standing, I try to cover all aspects of second-hand programme collecting: Big Matches (Internationals, Finals and Semis); A decent range from virtually all League clubs in England and Scotland plus a few from Ireland (although with a slight bias for West Country clubs as I am based in Plymouth).
NB: I've recently added lots of 1940's and 50's Chelsea homes plus 1950's Arsenal and Spurs homes.

I shall also have a wide range of over 400 English and Scottish Non-League Clubs programmes with me, including v League Clubs in the FA Cup and in Friendlies, (again with a slight bias for West Country Clubs); plus a range of Testimonial Matches, Reserve and Youth team programmes and Teamsheets.

Because I travel widely throughout the country attending Fairs, often buying more programmes than I sell, I am constantly replenishing my stock, so collectors often find something on my stand that they are looking for!

If any collectors wish me to bring any specific items to this Fair, please contact me by email on or (preferably) before Christmas Eve December 24 (as I shall be driving up from Plymouth on Boxing Day): [email protected]. Or phone 07543-845396.

WILL BE BUYING ON THE DAY: CONTACT ME VIA EMAIL OR PHONE
Footiebadgebloke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:33 pm 
Post subject:

Brem75

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:58 pm 
Post subject:

Looking forward to this! Very Happy
Footiebadgebloke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:51 pm 
Post subject:

One of the different posters to advertise the fair... as always free parking at the venue Very Happy
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:07 am 
Post subject:

It's always one of the best fairs, if not the best in the north of England. Well worth a visit.
Footiebadgebloke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:18 am 
Post subject:

No more sleeps......... The Great Mancunia Fair is here. Clap
NWM Football

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:27 pm 
Post subject:

From my point of view as a 'new face' at the Manchester Fair, it was an enjoyable & worthwhile trip. Many thanks to those who bought from me today (or just stopped to have a look at the stall) - much appreciated.

See you at Sheffield on Sunday !
Visit http://nwmfootball.com/ for programmes, books, DVDs, shirts & sportswear and other football collectables. Click here http://nwmfootball.com/nwm-diary/ to see which Programme Fairs and Antiques & Collectors' Fairs we will be attending.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Football Programme Fairs. In honour of Gordon Bennett. RIP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: