Football Programmes Centre

Miracles do happen...
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Miracles do happen...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:12 pm 
Post subject: Miracles do happen...

Bit of a long one this, but bear with me.

I’ve had a pretty lean twelve months or so, tracking down new (old) Cowes F.C. programmes for the collection - as you can imagine, they don't come up very often.

Despite having over 2,500 Cowes programmes, including a good number of pre-war aways, I’ve never yet got my hands on a pre-war home issue. In fact, just a couple of weeks ago I had been bemoaning the fact to a fellow clubman that I didn’t have any programmes from the early 1930’s featuring our most famous and prolific strike duo of Percy Cherrett (ex. Crystal Palace, Plymouth, Portsmouth et al) and George Reader (who went on to referee the de facto 1950 World Cup Final).

So anyway, I got up to the club on Saturday when Pete (the aforementioned clubman) called me into the committee room and told me to sit down, which I did.
“Not there”, he said, “that chair there”.
I duly swapped seats.
“Do you remember what you were saying to me the other day?” he continued. “Well, take a look under that bag”.

I lifted a plastic bag on the seat next to me to reveal a sizeable stack of old programmes. Many were bound together with a piece of string, and the top few were a bit raggy, but the rest were in overall pretty good nick. I couldn’t believe my eyes – it was a near-complete run of home programmes from the start of the 1930-31 season to midway through the 1933-34 season - 62 in total - plus a dozen-or-so loose issues from the 1950’s.

The club treasurer’s postman had, apparently, turned up at his door one day recently and given them to him. Said he’d been clearing out a garage and came across them, and wondered if anyone at the club would be interested. And the club, I was then informed, had decided to give them to me. I was absolutely blown away, pretty much speechless, and have spent my evenings since cataloguing, flattening, scanning and archiving them.

Among the most interesting for general collectors would be a series of four friendlies against Southampton (mostly featuring Reserves and ‘A’ side players at a guess), but my favourite is the 1931-32 home v local rivals Newport in an F.A. Cup qualifier. Predictably, Newport won 5-2, but the day is recalled more fondly for the record attendance of 4,815 that packed into our modest Westwood home.

A moment I’ll never forget, and a sage reminder that whatever it is you’re looking for, the chances are it’s out there somewhere...

The bundle:

31-2 v Newport (FACQ)

The 29-30 Cowes team, featuring George Reader and Percy Cherrett (seated, second and third left).

Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:20 pm 
Post subject:

Brilliant yachtsman,thrilled for you

A few times over the last decade I have been offered really special, rare or very old Palace stuff I'd have loved but I just haven't been able to afford it. That you got the stuff of your dreams for free is simply fantastic

Enjoy it!
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:24 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks Dorking. I've hardly stopped grinning since...
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:31 pm 
Post subject:

Christmas came early!

Great story - would be interested in viewing the scans eventually. Do you intend to put them up anywhere public?

They've certainly ended up with someone who will appreciate theim.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:14 am 
Post subject:

A great story and thank you for sharing. Nice photo, by the way......

It's worth mentioning that Percy Cherrett didn't just "play" for Palace. In his 2 years at Selhurst (1925-27) he played 81 games and scored 65 goals in Div III South & FA Cup. He then joined Bristol City who had just been promoted to Div II. I don't know what his record was there.

Love
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:40 am 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
Great story - would be interested in viewing the scans eventually. Do you intend to put them up anywhere public?

At some point I'll get around to starting a Flickr site. In the meantime I can post a few up here if you like?

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:

It's worth mentioning that Percy Cherrett didn't just "play" for Palace. In his 2 years at Selhurst (1925-27) he played 81 games and scored 65 goals in Div III South & FA Cup. He then joined Bristol City who had just been promoted to Div II. I don't know what his record was there.
Love

Indeed - Cherrett averaged over a goal every two games at Pompey, Plymouth, Crystal Palace, Bristol City and Bournemouth. Strangely he never lasted more than three seasons at any of his league clubs. I've never found out how he ended up at Cowes, but in three seasons with us he bagged a mind-boggling 167 goals in 109 appearances.

The three seasons he played (1929-1932) he was paired up with George Reader, who in ten seasons and 313 appearances scored 322 goals. As mentioned, Reader went on to referee the 1950 World Cup 'Final' between Brazil and Uruguay, before spending his later years as president of Southampton F.C.

If any of the Palace or Southampton collectors on here ever come across a signature from Cherrett or Reader, I'd love to get a scan of them...
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:19 am 
Post subject:

Nice photo, by the way......

Thanks Pete - it's a Beken original (you can just make out their emboss in the bottom-right corner).

Incidentally, if there's any aeronautica crossover fans here, the bearded chap fourth from left in the photo is Sam Saunders, C.F.C. club president and founder of Saunders Roe, who developed numerous seaplanes and also invented the hovercraft.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:25 am 
Post subject:

yachtsmun wrote:
Nice photo, by the way......

Thanks Pete - it's a Beken original (you can just make out their emboss in the bottom-right corner).

Incidentally, if there's any aeronautica crossover fans here, the bearded chap fourth from left in the photo is Sam Saunders, C.F.C. club president and founder of Saunders Roe, who developed numerous seaplanes and also invented the hovercraft.

I always thought that was Christopher Cockerell? Or did he work for Saunders Roe?

Sorry, this is a football forum! Judge
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:50 am 
Post subject:

I always thought that was Christopher Cockerell? Or did he work for Saunders Roe?

Sorry, this is a football forum! Judge

You’re right on both counts Pete. Cockerel worked there. And I think Saunders was long gone by the time he started blowing air up skirts...
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:00 am 
Post subject: Miracles do happen...

Great story yachtsmun and really pleased for you.
Great that they have ended up in the hands of somebody that will appreciate them.

As you say......these things are all out there somewhere!
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:31 am 
Post subject:

Nice story Toby, and I concur with all the other comments, that the programmes are safely in the hands of someone who certainly appreciates them. I am also very pleased for you.
I had a similar 'mini' experience very recently obtaining a Torquay United home programme from 1923-24 season, so I, in a similar way can understand your thrill and excitement on seeing something you would never think possible.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:03 am 
Post subject:

What a great story!

I know how you felt when a "ton" of stuff comes your way! ur like a dog with 2 Dxxxxs! and you do not know which ones to deal with first!

When the adrenalin rush has eventually died down after you have pulled back every corner, flattened or attempted too the creases, documented them and then sat back with that really great feeling of much satisfaction, you know what comes into your head:

"Gotta be a few more like this hidden away-ONWARDS & UPWARDS"!!!

I used to collect women, now I just settle for bits of paper[just as expensive overall]

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
garyspain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:16 pm 
Post subject:

Great story and what a treasure trove to get.
cribsie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:49 pm 
Post subject:

Fantastic story yachtsmun, that's what makes collecting so addictive - you just never know what's hidden away! Smile
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:27 am 
Post subject:

I think what this tale shows more than anything is that folk are still able to carry out genuine acts of kindness despite everything have an online value courtesy of ebay.

A truly wonderful thing to happen, and so pleased for you. Am now awaiting some Scots postie turning up at Beechwood Park with 60 pre WW2 Auchinleck Talbot programmes for my good self!
TheMusic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:41 am 
Post subject:

I think we all also love hearing about such strokes of good fortune - are people willing to share any other stories of tremendous finds? For example, I remember coming across a full run of Plymouth Argyle handbooks back to 1905 about 20 years ago - I've barely even seen one example in any auction or offers list since!
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:50 pm 
Post subject:

Great story, great find!

Easy
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:53 pm 
Post subject:

Many thanks all for your kind comments on this - it really was a once in a lifetime thing (although I hope it happens again...). It also goes some way to making up for a horror story I heard a few years ago too, but I'll save that tale for another thread some day.

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
When the adrenalin rush has eventually died down after you have pulled back every corner, flattened or attempted too the creases, documented them and then sat back with that really great feeling of much satisfaction, you know what comes into your head:

"Gotta be a few more like this hidden away-ONWARDS & UPWARDS"!!!

Yep, you're absolutely right Leslie. But I think it's that drive that keeps collectors going. Some lose interest (I've lost interest in some things I've collected over the years, but the one that has really endured is CFC progs and ephemera).

Having an infinite scope on your collection helps in this regard. I know of a few collectors who have completed 'the set' in their chosen field. A couple have lost interest very quickly and sold their collections (one sold then almost instantly started again from scratch). At least one other couldn't give up the thrill of the chase and is now completing his second or third 'set'.

Auchinleckian wrote:
A truly wonderful thing to happen, and so pleased for you. Am now awaiting some Scots postie turning up at Beechwood Park with 60 pre WW2 Auchinleck Talbot programmes for my good self!

Fingers crossed for you (no emoji for that, so...) Thumbs Up
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: