Football Programmes Centre

Is there a New Generation of younger Collectors?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Is there a New Generation of younger Collectors?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:03 pm 
Post subject: Is there a New Generation of younger

Seand, a distant relative , Michael Dalton, used to play for Dundalk in the 1960s. Only found out recently that his nickname was ‘ digger’ . He must have been a hard tackler! He started off with Dublin club Bohemians and then joined Dundalk. He also played for Eire in amateur international games. I think he went on to manage Dundalk and other clubs. Not certain about this? When l was a kid, l recall him sending over programmes and press photos, playing against Zurich in the European Cup ( was it 1963?) In later years , when he passed away, l did try to get these photos back to his family as a keepsake, but never found out if they were ever received. If l come across any Dundalk items l will get them to you.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:33 pm 
Post subject:

Are there any collectors under the age of 16 now? I don't know. Can't see any evidence.
At the risk of sounding like a 57 year old fogey, when I started, programmes were 8-16 pages costing no more than 10p, easily stored and the advertising wasn't overly intrusive.
Can't think why any 11 year old lad would want to stockpile 50+ 96 page glossy marketing brochures @ £3 a pop.

I was at Pride Park 3 weeks ago - top row of the West Stand, and I was the only person I could see who was referring to the matchday programme. Everyone else was gawping at "smartphones" (or whatever they call these things).

Mark my words.....it's only going to take one relatively major club to cease production and the rest will follow suit in double quick time.

Why? Because they all lost sight of what a "programme" actually IS.
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:25 am 
Post subject:

Palace take a lot of effort over the programme and market it rather a lot

Not sure if a large percentage of that is so it makes money though

It is a good effort though

This season they shrunk it down to A5, and regularly reference that it is a more practical size in the hope that will curry favour

Still as many pages and as thick as ever though

Historical content is cracking (mainly done by enthusiasts for them) and it has all the other 'predictable' stuff

They also sell a digital version

I reckon the figures in the prem are sufficient to keep it going for another 10 or so years at least
wrinkydinkles

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:11 am 
Post subject: Modern programmes

In my view I don’t think that any youngster nowadays would see one of these thick heavy programmes as collectable. Storing them is an obvious problem, not to mention that they are quite cumbersome things that you have to carry about for the next 3 hours, as well as the high price. Whereas when I were a lad they would easily fit into an inside pocket and you could have lots of seasons stored in a single box. I think this is one of the main reasons that ticket collecting has become so popular. It was unheard of back in my day but they are so much easier to manage and display than programmes.
The only hope for future programme collectors is for clubs to rewind 50 years but it’s never going to happen.
Shake
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:22 am 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
Everyone else was gawping at "smartphones" (or whatever they call these things).

Dont start me off on I phones Steve,.......I,ve just come back from holiday, around the pool nobody was speaking or reading a book........just looking at their smartphones......

But in answer to the post the kids are more interested in selfies & how to airbrush the photos......

Get My Coat Get My Coat Get My Coat Get My Coat

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:10 pm 
Post subject:

Quote:
Historical content is cracking (mainly done by enthusiasts for them) and it has all the other 'predictable' stuff

That's the one redeeming feature that keeps me collecting modern-day Derby homes and aways.
That the historical articles in so many clubs' issues are top-notch.

Palace, West Brom and Wolves are three excellent examples.

The reasons why there are so few youngsters coming into the hobby are probably lengthy, complicated and down to factors which weren't factors when most of us on here entered the hobby.

It would be interesting to compare how philately has moved with the times in comparison to programme collecting.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:19 pm 
Post subject:

pompeypete wrote:
derby1884 wrote:
Everyone else was gawping at "smartphones" (or whatever they call these things).

Dont start me off on I phones Steve,.......I,ve just come back from holiday, around the pool nobody was speaking or reading a book........just looking at their smartphones......

But in answer to the post the kids are more interested in selfies & how to airbrush the photos......

Get My Coat Get My Coat Get My Coat Get My Coat

In 100 years time, Pete, everyone wlil have a surgically embedded microchip which will enable "the internet" to be transmitted direct to their brain.....thus eliminating that awfully time-consuming activity of looking things up.

It'll be sociologically beneficial too....can't afford a holiday in Bali? No problem, just "think" yourself there for two weeks!
kempo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:48 am 
Post subject: Programmes

derby1884 wrote:
Are there any collectors under the age of 16 now? I don't know. Can't see any evidence.
At the risk of sounding like a 57 year old fogey, when I started, programmes were 8-16 pages costing no more than 10p, easily stored and the advertising wasn't overly intrusive.
Can't think why any 11 year old lad would want to stockpile 50+ 96 page glossy marketing brochures @ £3 a pop.

I was at Pride Park 3 weeks ago - top row of the West Stand, and I was the only person I could see who was referring to the matchday programme. Everyone else was gawping at "smartphones" (or whatever they call these things).

Mark my words.....it's only going to take one relatively major club to cease production and the rest will follow suit in double quick time.

definitely programmes are to bulky storage is a nightmare 16 pages is plenty
kempo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:49 am 
Post subject: Programmes

derby1884 wrote:

definitely programmes are to bulky storage is a nightmare 16 pages is plenty
1881Orient

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:28 pm 
Post subject:

mdjw_41 wrote:
TartanTyneArmy wrote:
I’m 27
Rarely meet anyone of my generation with an interest in buying a programme when at the match. As for collecting, I doubt it.

I thought I may sneak the youngest at 32.

I am a collector but that is completely because of my father, who was a full time dealer and now does it as a hobby again following retirement. I would never want him to sell his collection and would acquire one day. He keeps the programmes from the games, I collect the tickets and together we have a fine collection.

I see it from both sides as I also deal predominantly in tickets and teamsheets and a few other items. I see it as a hobby and something I enjoy to do, purchasing in items and looking for value to sell on. Helps to generate extra income alongside the day job.

Sorry lads, neither of you. I'm 14.
1881Orient

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:36 pm 
Post subject:

A very good thread and topic to discuss. As a very young collector, 14, I think I can shed a bit of light on the subject.

Personally, going to a game and not getting a programme is like playing snooker without a cue (sorry, a poor an analogy, but you'll get my drift). However, I can't think of many other under-18's who would feel the same. Maybe if they were a pound each and could be kept in your inside pocket it would be different, but I can understand why other kids don't buy a programme.

Therefore, I think, if there is a next generation of collectors, they will start their collection at 30ish (ie. when they have enough money to buy a bulk lot to catch their interest).

Then again, I do agree with the fact they will, eventually, become like records and have a big 'comeback,' but we have had to wait until after both streaming and CD's that to happen to vinyl. So maybe we'll have to wait until the big clubs cease printing for programmes to become 'retro'?
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:03 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:

In 100 years time, Pete, everyone wlil have a surgically embedded microchip which will enable "the internet" to be transmitted direct to their brain.....thus eliminating that awfully time-consuming activity of looking things up.

It'll be sociologically beneficial too....can't afford a holiday in Bali? No problem, just "think" yourself there for two weeks!

I'm 47 and a big fan of smartphones which are pretty handy programme wise.

I can easily access my Flickr account anywhere, so I can see what I have and dont have. Also very handy for taking high quality pics for eBay purposes, and of course I can access eBay anywhere, anytime.

True story, sitting in an Reykjavik pub the day after a Scotland U21 game and in troops a number of Finland fans who were playing a WC qualifier that day against Iceland.

Gets chatting and one happens to be a collector, and I happen to need a couple of Finland issues. Out comes the phone and onto Flickr and he browses through the account. Now have a contact in Finland.
Eck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:55 am 
Post subject:

In the event of me croaking my wife will be able to contact any one of about 50 collectors many of whom she has met that will sell my stuff for her. None of my family has an interest in collecting. I started collecting football cards in the 60's I also had a batman card collection. I first collected programmes aged 20. Since my major health problems including diabetes and Leukaemia I am now reluctant to buy anything else but i'll be involved in collecting until I die. Progrrammes is not my only collection, i've a decent T.Rex collection I also have a huge toy soldier collection that I can't do a lot with until I offload the bulk of my programmes I have maybe around 30,000. Like Mr H i've sold most of my main collection and don't regret it as i'm still heavily involve in programme collecting. As for fears that your collection will one day be worth zero, try getting a good deal on Sportingold or Mullocks, there are still a lot of people spending a lot of money for the good stuff.
seand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:09 pm 
Post subject: Re: Is there a New Generation of younger

Flaming Pie wrote:
Seand, a distant relative , Michael Dalton, used to play for Dundalk in the 1960s. Only found out recently that his nickname was ‘ digger’ . He must have been a hard tackler! He started off with Dublin club Bohemians and then joined Dundalk. He also played for Eire in amateur international games. I think he went on to manage Dundalk and other clubs. Not certain about this? When l was a kid, l recall him sending over programmes and press photos, playing against Zurich in the European Cup ( was it 1963?) In later years , when he passed away, l did try to get these photos back to his family as a keepsake, but never found out if they were ever received. If l come across any Dundalk items l will get them to you.

Thanks for that, I'll PM you rather than taking this interesting thread off topic.
Sufc93

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:04 pm 
Post subject:

Hi everybody,

I’m 25 and I’ve always been an admirer of programmes even from going too my teams matches. I like the style of them and it’s always been my tradition to buy one anywhere I go. I am wanting too start a collection of different clubs now as I like the different designs of them.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: