Football Programmes Centre

Jimmy McIlroy RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Jimmy McIlroy RIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:17 am 
Post subject: Jimmy McIlroy RIP

Very sad to hear of the passing of this superb player today, aged 86.

Burnley paid Glentoran £7000 for Jimmy in 1950, and he was the scheming midfielder (inside right) in Burnley's superb teams of the late 50's/early 60's. He also played 55 times for Northern Ireland, often in midfield with Danny Blanchflower - quite a pairing. He scored over 100 league goals in 437 games at Turf Moor, before joining Stoke in 1963 and ending at Oldham.

One of the greats of the post-war era.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:26 pm 
Post subject: Jimmy McIlroy RIP

Before my time, but obviously I'm well aware of how great a player he was, mainly thanks to Pathe News and the like.
Another legend gone.
RIP Jimmy
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:49 pm 
Post subject:

Better late than never, a very nice obit in today's i newspaper written by Ivan Ponting. Hope this is legible:-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
roughyedz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:12 pm 
Post subject:

Only just noticed this, very sad news, i remember as a young Ken Bates taking over at Oldham and bringing in Jimmy as his first signing as Player Manager, he then got a good team.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: