Football Programmes Centre

Forum Auction Today March 22nd
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum Auction Today March 22nd
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WHU2711

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:41 pm 
Post subject: Forum Auction Today March 22nd

This Auction is being held in London in the Westbury Hotel today I am sure some of you would have seen the details on Antique Trade Gazette

Just a couple of football lots but what they had were old

For example Palace v Aston Villa November 30th 1895 sold for £1,000

As it is near to work for me I viewed the lots on Monday, there was one with 3 Corinthian Friendly programmes (they called them tickets but they were single cards with teams on front and future fixtures on back)

Matches were against Middlesbrough October 26th 1895, Nottingham Forest Nov 2nd 1895 and Sunderland Dec 7th 1895 all 3 were in great condition for age, I had no idea on price so left a bid of £1,100 thinking it would not be close

Tracked it today and saw it sold for £850, as I am nearby I rang them to confirm so I could call down and collect.

At this point the lady was unable to confirm I had won and her tone got me concerned something had gone wrong, I had to call again 30 minutes later to find out that the Auctioneer had missed my commission bid even though it was sitting in front of him.

Obviously I was annoyed and mentioned the venue being 5 star but not the service. End of the day nothing can be done and they are sold for £850. If it is to someone on the forum well done.

So they guy selling them loses out on a few extra pounds and will probably never be told.

I thought my bid was low for 3 programmes like this, any opinions on value from anyone?

I did take pictures of all 3 front and back so will try to put them up later
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:52 pm 
Post subject:

Did you get receipts for the bids? If so, then I would seriously consider contacting them again, and the press as there could be some kind of skullduggery going on? It's certainly the only way the original vendor would ever know of their malpractice.
WHU2711

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:59 pm 
Post subject:

I have an email apology from them with the promise of a £100 credit against any future purchases from them.

Probably will not use it as they do not normally have sports items but it is written proof they made a mistake, not sure if I would contact press after all a mistake is a mistake just annoying to be on the end of it and perhaps the winning bidder would have gone above my £1100 anyway.

Perhaps we will seem them at the next Sporting sale for £1,000 each as they must be well below value even at my bid.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:53 pm 
Post subject: Re: Forum Auction Today March 22nd

WHU2711 wrote:
This Auction is being held in London in the Westbury Hotel today I am sure some of you would have seen the details on Antique Trade Gazette

Just a couple of football lots but what they had were old

For example Palace v Aston Villa November 30th 1895 sold for £1,000

As it is near to work for me I viewed the lots on Monday, there was one with 3 Corinthian Friendly programmes (they called them tickets but they were single cards with teams on front and future fixtures on back)

Matches were against Middlesbrough October 26th 1895, Nottingham Forest Nov 2nd 1895 and Sunderland Dec 7th 1895 all 3 were in great condition for age, I had no idea on price so left a bid of £1,100 thinking it would not be close

Tracked it today and saw it sold for £850, as I am nearby I rang them to confirm so I could call down and collect.

At this point the lady was unable to confirm I had won and her tone got me concerned something had gone wrong, I had to call again 30 minutes later to find out that the Auctioneer had missed my commission bid even though it was sitting in front of him.

Obviously I was annoyed and mentioned the venue being 5 star but not the service. End of the day nothing can be done and they are sold for £850. If it is to someone on the forum well done.

So they guy selling them loses out on a few extra pounds and will probably never be told.

I thought my bid was low for 3 programmes like this, any opinions on value from anyone?

I did take pictures of all 3 front and back so will try to put them up later

Just a point on Palace v Villa 1895 - Palace weren't founded till 1905. That's assuming this was Crystal Palace and not some other Palace?

Onto the subject matter - missed commission bids - it's happened to me before once or twice - very frustrating and sorry it happened to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
WHU2711

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:22 pm 
Post subject:

I hope the link works just had another look

Aston Villa v Crystal Palace FC at Crystal Palace Saturday November 30th 1895

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/forumauctions/catalogue-id-forum-10102/lot-59e43e7b-68fa-49d8-a855-a88f00e58ec5
WHU2711

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:25 pm 
Post subject:

Googling Villa fixtures for 1895/96 they are listed as no league game that date, possibly a friendly?
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:53 pm 
Post subject:

Just had a look at two reference books I have.

"To the Palace for the Cup" shows that, 7 months after the FA Cup Final of 1895 in which Villa beat WBA in front of 42,560, Villa returned to Crystal Palace to play a friendly against a team of Londoners "described as Crystal Palace FC but really a respectable team of Corinthians". Only 1,500 turned up after heavy rain with the ground in a "terrible state". Villa won this game 7-3.

Another book "The Origin of Crystal Palace FC, Vol 1" reveals that 9 Corinthians were in the team. "Palace" made the mistake of taking the lead just after half time against the Cup holders and would-be League winners and Villa ran riot after that. Attempts were being made to form an amateur club in South London but this was a mistake as had a professional club been formed then, they would have walked into the newly formed Southern League and so when the pro club was finally set up in 1905, they had to join SL Division 2.

All of which shows this programme from 1895 is incredibly rare. £1000 indeed. If only..........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
nutfield priory

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:56 pm 
Post subject:

This was the first match of the newly reformed Crystal Palace FC so is the first programme to be issued.

The new owner is well pleased with his purchase and the price paid.

It is not me as I opted out saving us bidding against each other
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:38 pm 
Post subject:

This thread is the first I have heard of it, so well done the successful buyer, a real gem!
paulobee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:46 pm 
Post subject:

A few newspaper snippets.

Pre match talk.......

Match report..........

Hope these are viewable?!
WHU2711

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:39 pm 
Post subject:

nutfield priory wrote:
This was the first match of the newly reformed Crystal Palace FC so is the first programme to be issued.

Did your friend pick up the 3 Corinthian homes I mentioned?
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:44 pm 
Post subject:

£1k plus the bits is a decent price and what an amazing item, and in such great condition too
nutfield priory

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:01 pm 
Post subject:

WHU2711 wrote:
nutfield priory wrote:

Did your friend pick up the 3 Corinthian homes I mentioned?

No he only bought the Palace item
WHU2711

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:03 am 
Post subject:

WHU2711

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:06 am 
Post subject:

WHU2711

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:08 am 
Post subject:

Pictures of front and back from the 3 programmes mentioned
BHA1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:43 am 
Post subject:

I saw these listed. Great items and a great pick up.
Thumbs Up
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:53 am 
Post subject:

Some auctioneers are a..holes. I am the proud winner of an African Tribal stick I certainly did NOT bid for (and ended up being forced to buy) and let's not even talk about Cowboy Cranes of Liverpool - selling nice Beswick for me at a price whereby, with the listing and other fees meant I owed them money.. (and yes, we're talking £2-3 an item - disgusted, you bet.)
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:20 am 
Post subject:

These are in insanely good condition. Was there any accompanying info on the provenance (not doubting authenticity, just wondering how they survived in such amazing condition!)
WHU2711

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:41 am 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:
These are in insanely good condition. Was there any accompanying info on the provenance (not doubting authenticity, just wondering how they survived in such amazing condition!)

I did not ask but feel and smell (expert comment!) seemed okay, the Palace item being mainly Corinthian players plus a Cambridge game all around the same time so I presume they all came from the same person

I wonder what the Sunderland, Boro and Forest fans value these at?
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: