Football Programmes Centre

Ebay Programme Business?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ebay Programme Business?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barneybattles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:59 pm 
Post subject: Ebay Programme Business?

Hi everyone,
I was hoping some of you guys could give me some advice on starting a full-time ebay programme selling business. I have experimented for a couple of months earlier in the year part-time and did quite well. But to go full-time, I need to up the ante.
The major problem being (and this is where you come in):
Where is the best places to buy programmes in bulk and at a cost that would enable me to make a reasonable business?
Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.
martino

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:05 pm 
Post subject:

My first bit of advice would be not to rely on any venture into Football Memorabilia to provide a sole source of income.

As has been discussed on here many times it is a declining market. Prices have been driven down since E Bay came on the scene and it is now, for the most part, a "buyers" market. E Bay is overloaded with items that no one wants or will ever sell. However, the quality end of the market is still good but then you are up against the big Dealers who are willing to pay the price to acquire quality items. Most of the big Dealers sell "off E Bay" through catalogues or their own network of clients as this reduces the selling costs.

Do research to see what sells and what does not sell. General auction houses will include football programme lots and that it probably a good place to start.

Also be aware of buying and selling costs and, if you do start a business full time, the tax man will want his share of the profits.
dcfc46

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:19 pm 
Post subject: Ebay Programme Business

PM Sent
Rafehod

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:18 pm 
Post subject:

Hi

Martino is correct, you will not earn enough on Ebay solely selling football programmes, take a look at the biggest seller on Ebay at present. Bobfrankandelvis has over 100,000 items listed and only gets about 700 - 800 sales per month which in effect is not that bad but where are you going to store them all. At home if so you will take out two or three large rooms. You will be looking at a stock pile that appears to never goes down and when you come to sell them you will get a pittance in bulk for them.

Best place to buy 70s onwards in large quantity is Ebay itself you can get huge bundles of 3000 - 5000 for around £100-£150. Most auction house wont even sell big bundles of them as they take up too much room for their worth.

Selling modern stuff on ebay will get you about 50p profit each after all ebay, paypal and postage costs so even to make a grand a month you will need to sell 2000 of those.

50s and 60s are better, take up less storage space and you can make a few quid on them however there is a lot of people at it so for any good bundles coming up at auction you will pay through the nose for it and the profit will be diluted.

the best market is the older stuff but you need to really know your stuff and study the market very carefully as you will be paying £100 to make £10 - £15 profit on these items maybe more of you are lucky.

My advice is dont give up your day job as there is too many people doing it and yes you can make a few quid but thats about it.
barneybattles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:26 pm 
Post subject: Thanks

Thanks guys for the advice. I will bear it all in mind.
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:03 pm 
Post subject:

On Palace's two main forums, from time to time there are fans looking to get rid of their collections, and usually they actually say that people can have them for free as long as they collect them.

Usually they are talking about 10-20 years worth of mostly homes (with gaps in the sets) from the 80s onwards, and as soon as they mention that they are somewhere like Kent or Sussex, often there are no takers at all.

What I'm saying is if people are struggling to give them away, it's a tough game.

Of modern stuff, the away games played by the home international teams are popular, as are Euro aways. If you can get contacts (ie friends) to pick you up a number of those sorts of issues, then you can make a fair mark up on them - eg a programme that is a couple of quid, you could get close to a tenner for. But even then you can get stuck with them if they are free* and plentiful at the game and everyone gets one easily. If people don't need you, they won't buy from you!

*at some games piles of programmes are available to help yourself to for free - have seen this at many England away trips I've been on over the years.

Sometimes it's all down to speed. England play a game abroad, and the quicker you can get your programme up and advertised onto ebay is critical. Some England fans go abroad and have got the programme photographed and listed before the day is over!

I'd say make it a hobby or small scale part time operation - if you invest in bulk you will end up with 90% of the stuff you acquire being unsellable.

Probably best to stick to what you know best if you have specific expertise over non-league, rare old reserve stuff, pre-war or whatever.

The bit I'd find hard is if you are a collector yourself, and get a great programme at a great price, knowing then that really you should be selling it on for a good profit rather than keeping it as a jewel in your collection. That would be hard.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: