Football Programmes Centre

England
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
England
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:49 am 
Post subject:

wandererpaul wrote:

No arrogance at all.

I said, "easy on paper", which is what they should be.

versus Slovakia, England have won 3 (drawn 1) out of the 4 matches.

versus Malta, England have won all 3.

versus Slovenia, England have won all 4.

versus Scotland, since '66, England have won 18 compared to Scotland's 7 wins.

So, as I said, on paper, it should be easy.

Football isn't played on paper, and as you found out last night, history is absolutely irrelevant.

If England approach these matches as "easy", then you will have learnt nothing.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:50 am 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
Belgian commentator on Hodgson last night ...

"He is watching the game like a cow watching a train pass by - he has no idea what is happening"

Laughing
James73

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:57 am 
Post subject:

Football isn't played on paper, and as you found out last night, history is absolutely irrelevant.

If England approach these matches as "easy", then you will have learnt nothing

There is no never an "easy" game at international level anymore. Even teams like Andorra and San Marino set themselves up as easy to break down.
England need to start rethinking their style and attitude to games, we are no longer a team who can roll over the so called lesser nations.
Please, please, please let this be a wake up call and let there be wholsale changes from the top down. We, the supporters, deserve so much more than what we have been given for the last 10/15 years.

Iceland though, well played. You were the better team, better organised and had more passion and desire.
foxes1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:00 am 
Post subject:

Best comment last night from one of the pundits (For me anyway).

'Iceland- the population of Leicester are doing a Leicester'

I loved that. Doing a Leicester
gfcpaul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:08 am 
Post subject:

At least the cow wouldn't cost us millions Shocked Shocked
I'd like to see a clause in the contract that reads total failure equals zero payoff, i know i have more chance of winning the lotto. Sad Sad
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:15 am 
Post subject: Re: England

Five and In wrote:

If we had put as much thought into the tactics as we did in working out who was going to carry Leo the Lion around, we might still be there!

To be fair Leo did come out with some credit, at least he always stayed with his man
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
gfcpaul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:26 am 
Post subject:

Sky news has just reported that Roy has a job interview with Angela Merkel and Francois Hollande.
They were so impressed with how quickly he got England out of Europe, they wanted to know how quickly he could remove the whole of Britain.
CodeXIII

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:41 am 
Post subject:

agree wanderpaul - there's definite passion from all the other players from Scotland, NI and Wales. They WANT to play for the shirt and the country.

England players...can't even sing one verse of the national anthem.

Re the FA, ive no idea how they get their non executive roles or responsibilities to appoint managers and create 5 year plans!!

They're not football people though, more lawyers, lords, toffs and other hangers on with no understanding of the game.

Team GB - yeah, who'd want England as part of that anyway. Maybe a Celtic Britannia international team and England can merge with the Isle of Man

Laughing

Someone mentioned arrogance? 100% spot on. I worked at the WC in 2006 and 2010 and the whole England entorage waltz about like they own the stadiums, never followed protocol or did interviews like the other 31 teams involved. It had to be their way or nothing! bunch of tw@ts.
Utter contempt from me to anyone involved with the FA.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:31 pm 
Post subject:

I thought the ITV pundits were incredibly arrogant and disrespectful too.

At half-time they were discussing whether or not Joe Hart should be dropped for the Q/final, and their comments post-match showed scant regard to a fantastically organised team with a savvy manager who had recently beaten Holland twice.

The whole problem with the entire England set-up from top to bottom was then best summed up by that buffoon Ian Wright.

He doesn't want "Arsene Wenger" or a "foreign" manager, he wants Gareth Southgate, another failed club manager.
Yep, because that's worked out so well for the FA thus far hasn't it, (cough) McClaren, (cough) the Owl.

The whole set-up needs disbanding and starting again from scratch, beginning with the stuffy suits at the top who have scandalously become incredibly rich men on the back of constantly disgracing and letting the English game down.

Until this whole "jobs for the boys" culture ceases to exist, nothing whatsoever will change either.

Talking of jobs for the boys, the bookies 'shortlist' for the position this morning is laughable.
There's not one name on the ten "favourites" for the job who should be allowed anywhere near it.

Pound to a penny one of the duffers will get it though, and so begins the whole sorry cycle once more, whilst the out-of-touch, starch-suited snobs running the game continue to get even richer.

The Owl (true to past form) displayed cowardice in the extreme last night the way he ran up the tunnel, refused to field any post-match questions about the debacle, and instead trotted out his disgraceful pre-prepared (obviously before the tournament even began) resignation speech.

But what was he resigning from exactly though?
His contract ran out after this tournament anyway.
And this from the FA's "honourable man."
How brave of him to fall on his sword.

The bloke's a fraud, always has been.
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:08 pm 
Post subject:

Just re-posted this from 2 years ago after the Brazil exit (Brexit #1!!!)

Most of it could have been written today;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......yet-again/
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:54 pm 
Post subject:

Goalsandwickets wrote:

A good read..........

keep that link for the world cup 2018 (if we qualify)

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:03 pm 
Post subject:

Woy's giving another press conference now, having been dragged in there by someone called Martin Glenn.

Re the debacle last night, these things happen, apparently.

But I won't be too tough on Woy as we went to the same school, albeit a few years apart.

Wave Woy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:11 pm 
Post subject:

pompeypete wrote:
Goalsandwickets wrote:

A good read..........

keep that link for the world cup 2018 (if we qualify)

Thanks Pompeypete Smile
PompeyPhil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:52 pm 
Post subject:

So many truths written already in this thread......from the team failing to demonstrate any passion from singing the national anthem to how they performed on the pitch......players that weren't fit, out of form, played in the wrong position, lack of respect (on and off) the pitch towards the opposition,poor tactical decisions and selections.......I could go on and on but this is England it's what we are good at!!! (Not!) Like a lot on here I sincerely hope the FA are strong enough to accept its time for real change......like the English rugby team.......lets get a no nonsense foreign manager in who can restore some pride, respect and a winning (tournament) mentality into the players! Rant over! Come on Belguim......(sweepstake picked team!).
oldbolt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:02 pm 
Post subject:

My interest waned when they only drew with Slovakia meaning they had an impossible route to the final.The warning signs were there as the first half dragged on that Woy's tactics weren't creating chances against Iceland.
The goals conceded, the first in particular were down to bad management. Give him one training session and Sam Allardyce could organise a defence to keep that first one out of the back of our net.
With the players he had available he should have finished top of the group and then beaten Northern Ireland as a minimum.I think Allardyce would have done that.Sadly the Englishmen being touted as the next manager are in my opinion a level below Big Sam.
pnefan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:56 pm 
Post subject:

Remember

When Iceland beat Austria in the last minute

Henry was the only pundit airing caution as Ferdinand Lyn Acre & Shearer started looking forward to a game against France .

Remember Shearer being part of a team struggling to get past Stevenage in the FA Cup once upon a time - He's probably forgot that .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCQpIOWafCk
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:14 am 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Woy's giving another press conference now, having been dragged in there by someone called Martin Glenn.

Re the debacle last night, these things happen, apparently.

But I won't be too tough on Woy as we went to the same school, albeit a few years apart.

Wave Woy.

Pete

PM sent to you on a separate matter.

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
goonerboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:55 am 
Post subject:

the reality is that Hodgson's failure was predictable. When he has had a top job he has failed to deliver. His track record is occassional overachievement of an underdog. He was never going to be the manager to take England up another level.

Lets just hope its not big Sam next. The guy is good at what he does which is keep teams from being relegated but he only knows one way to play ie stop the other team scoring. Thats fine if you are Iceland but I would rather a manager who wants to outscore the opposition than one for whom 0-0 is a pleasing result. If we stay insular and only go for a Englishman then I would rather Hoddle or Redknapp.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:59 am 
Post subject:

goonerboy wrote:
the reality is that Hodgson's failure was predictable. When he has had a top job he has failed to deliver. His track record is occassional overachievement of an underdog. He was never going to be the manager to take England up another level.

Lets just hope its not big Sam next. The guy is good at what he does which is keep teams from being relegated but he only knows one way to play ie stop the other team scoring. Thats fine if you are Iceland but I would rather a manager who wants to outscore the opposition than one for whom 0-0 is a pleasing result. If we stay insular and only go for a Englishman then I would rather Hoddle or Redknapp.

Agree with you on Big Sam and his anti football mate.
They'd be better off giving the job to Bungle from Rainbow.

Truth of the matter is, there isn't one suitable English candidate out there.
None even come close.
They all lack the basic tactical nous & intelligence needed for the job, just like the players themselves lack game intelligence - which is why so many of our "world class stars" thrive amidst the 'gung-ho' blood & thunder of the Premier League, but fail woefully on the International stage where you need to be cuter, more savvy, and able to actually adapt and problem solve during games.

Looking abroad is the only option available.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:09 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
goonerboy wrote:

Agree with you on Big Sam and his anti football mate.
They'd be better off giving the job to Bungle from Rainbow.

Truth of the matter is, there isn't one suitable English candidate out there.
None even come close.
They all lack the basic tactical nous & intelligence needed for the job, just like the players themselves lack game intelligence - which is why so many of our "world class stars" thrive amidst the 'gung-ho' blood & thunder of the Premier League, but fail woefully on the International stage where you need to be cuter, more savvy, and able to actually adapt and problem solve during games.

Looking abroad is the only option available.

IMO i am with you Wiggy for all the reasons u have mentioned-perhaps bring in an English person like Hoddle to work with someone but only in an advisory role. Brian Clough would have been the best choice all those years ago but the old farts were terrified of him and perhaps rightly so as he would have shown them all up and told them!.
Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: