Football Programmes Centre

Sex Pistols Advert ln Programme
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sex Pistols Advert ln Programme

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:34 pm 
Post subject: Sex Pistols Advert ln Programme

Some time ago l remember someone on the forum asking if punk rock adverts in programmes increased the value? Can’t remember the response , but it looks like it does!
Footyfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:42 pm 
Post subject: SEX PISTOLS ADVERT

The advert for the Sex Pistols Anarchy Tour make the programmes Pop & Rock memorabilia and therefore collectable. The prices f\being paid or specific programmes appear ridiculous but to me.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:52 am 

Currently bid is £205. Early 1960s , Saturday evening would trot off to the shops to buy the pink Liverpool Football Echo. Up until 1963, you would look inside the paper and the entertainment page would often include’ Tonight At The Cavern, The Fabulous Beatles!’ When you think about it they were little pieces of rock music history . Kept boxes of them and then in a mad clear out dumped them all many years ago.. They must have sold many thousands each Saturday , so obviously not as scarce as that Torquay programme. The current bid is still a surprise though. Perhaps the advertisement for The Pistols was only in a limited number of those match programmes?
smk06

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:10 pm 
Post subject:

Link to an article below about the 1976/1977 Manchester City v Derby programme and advert.

https://www.derbycountymemories.co.uk/the-rams-and-1970s-punk-rockers

Derby County home wants:
1982/83 Sunderland Fr (s/s)
Reds v Whites & Whites v Blues 1948-1957
1946/47 Arsenal post 5/2

Derby County away wants:
1968/69 Carlisle post 8/2/69
1946/47 Middlesbrough, Liverpool
1945/46 West Brom

Also looking for Guiseley home programmes pre-1980s.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:12 pm 

smk06, thanks for that , very interesting . I see it sold for£480. Good luck to the seller. Some programmes from the past do have interesting adverts for local theatres. I remember seeing an lpswich Town one with The Beatles on a local theatre. Blackpool , with several of their theatres putting on rock shows, probably had interesting adverts in their 1960s programmes.
farmersboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:02 am 
Post subject:

I love the adverts in old programmes, they are a piece of social history on their own. It's wonderful to see adverts for businesses in your home town now long gone, also the attitudes to women, drinking, as well as the view of football supporters.
There other aspects that are also interesting, in one of my club, Portsmouth's, old programmes from the 60's, there is an advert for a darts match between the players and the supporters club. how many of those happen these days?
When I finally got hold of a quite rare programme for a friendly against Dallas Tornado, I noticed that it was played to raise funds for Landport adventure playground, something that I was unaware of when I attended the game and when I ended up working there.
So keep looking at your old programmes, things can become valuable many years later to to changing events.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:48 pm 

Farmersboy, looking at this Liverpool/ Everton 1906 programme , l see the famous old entertainer George Robey is on The Royal Court , Liverpool. At the time Robey was on the books of Millwall during their Southern League days.. Apparently he played inside forward and was a regular goal scorer , that’s if Wikipedia is correct ! I wonder if any old Millwall programmes exist with Robey in their line-up?
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: