Football Programmes Centre

Some vintage ticket stubs from games played in the USA
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Some vintage ticket stubs from games played in the USA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:00 am 
Post subject: Some vintage ticket stubs from games played in the USA

Haven’t posted for a long time, all the site problems and a general lack of time. But seem to have got the login sorted and now mostly retired short of a little contract work so here goes. Just a handful of ticket stubs with some British / Irish content and a few other interesting items, at least for me.

Top two are both from the 1982 UNICEF FIFA World All Star game between the European All Stars and The Rest of The World. The Europeans won it 3-2 with Kevin Keegan coming off the bench to score one of the European goals.

The New York Express beat an Irish National All Star Team 2-0 in a friendly game played in March 1986. They won all five friendlies including a win against Arsenal. But their real season was a disaster and they failed to complete the MISL season and went under.

On July 16th 1969, the Atlanta Chiefs drew 2-2 with a touring Inter Bratislava team. No particular reason but one of my favorite stubs.

Just a few weeks prior, on May 30th, the Chiefs had taken on Aston Villa in a friendly. This after the Round Robin first half of the season, the International Cup, where five touring British teams played each other under the names of one of the American clubs. Of course Aston Villa had actually been the Atlanta Chiefs for that part before resorting to their real name and beating them 2-0 in the friendly.

Next up is the 1971 Championship series. Again the Chiefs, this time against what would be my local team if they were still running, the Dallas Tornadoes and the Chiefs won this game 1 encounter 2-1. They lost the next two games and Dallas were crowned champions.

The Chiefs played and beat the Cleveland Stokers 2-1 in this 1968 playoff game to advance to the championship games 3-2 on aggregate and finished that season out as Champions.

Chicago Sting took on Israel in a friendly game played on 27th May 1975 and all ended even at 2-2.

And last and not least, one of my favorite stubs, Rangers friendly with Stuttgart from June 17th 1984 in Toronto which ended 1-1. Little did I know at the time but almost to the week, three years later my wife and I spent a week in Toronto, second week in a suburb of Detroit where she got a Michigan nursing license and a year later we moved to the USA for “ one or two years”.

Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:41 pm 

Texas Rangers, interesting stuff. I remember Everton and Liverpool going on American tours early 1960s. I think programmes and tickets from those games are also sought after. I think Dunfermline and Kilmarnock played Everton during their tour? Did have the programme but now gone. Apparently Bill Shankly didn’t enjoy being in the USA at all and was keen to get back home. LFC even appeared on the famous Ed Sullivan Show. Shankly was disappointed that they didn’t get to visit places like Dodge City and The OK Coral! I don’t know if you are based in Texas, but a few weeks ago one of my grandkids played against Lonestar Texas. They were on a brief tour of England and played a match in London and one on Merseyside . I talked to some of their parents after the game . Nice people. They were staying in Chester . They didn’t quite get the humour when l said to them that they should knock down all those old Roman ruins in Chester and tidy the place up Very Happy
Basford United

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:32 pm 
Post subject:

Any likelihood of a programme from those 2 Lonestar games?
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:25 pm 

Basford, don’t think there was any programmes. Tranmere Youth played them on an all - weather , probably under 18s, and Glenavon Under 15s played them on a grass pitch , well it was more like a bog!
Basford United

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:11 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks FP for the info!
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:21 pm 
Post subject: Re: Some vintage ticket stubs from games played in the USA

Flaming Pie wrote:
Texas Rangers, interesting stuff. I remember Everton and Liverpool going on American tours early 1960s. I think programmes and tickets from those games are also sought after. I think Dunfermline and Kilmarnock played Everton during their tour? Did have the programme but now gone. Apparently Bill Shankly didn’t enjoy being in the USA at all and was keen to get back home. LFC even appeared on the famous Ed Sullivan Show. Shankly was disappointed that they didn’t get to visit places like Dodge City and The OK Coral! I don’t know if you are based in Texas, but a few weeks ago one of my grandkids played against Lonestar Texas. They were on a brief tour of England and played a match in London and one on Merseyside . I talked to some of their parents after the game . Nice people. They were staying in Chester . They didn’t quite get the humour when l said to them that they should knock down all those old Roman ruins in Chester and tidy the place up Very Happy

Yes, Texas has been home for the last 35 years.

I have a 1964 Liverpool v Meidericher programme and a few others from later games. Birmingham in Toronto in the early 70’s and a few common 80’s. I’ve had a lot more over the years but they’ve gone to real collectors of the specific clubs. I found enjoyment from that aspect, helping others plug holes in their collection. I’ve got two boys with zero interest in this and I’m no spring chicken myself but I love memorabilia.

Yes, as far as humour, you can imagine it’s been a blast for a Glaswegian with a strong sarcastic humour. After a while I just gave up with it.

On the youth side, it’s very popular here now. There is a great tournament here in my back yard, the Dallas Cup that brings top teams from around the world. I often go watch those games.

One of my ex managers that I’ve stayed friends with, grand daughter is playing for the US under 20 national team now and just signed a pro contract with Seattle Reign a few weeks ago. She’s a “ veteran” of the youth system here, working her way through that.

Last edited by Texas Rangers on Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:24 pm 
Post subject:

Basford United wrote:
Any likelihood of a programme from those 2 Lonestar games?
Edit, seen the other response.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:19 pm 

Just remembered, another place that Shankly wanted to visit but didn’t was Boot Hill! A funny guy and a lot like Klopp. Passionate about football but a bit zany as well.. Off now to see if my lot can get something from their game at Newcastle , l doubt it though Confused
holtie96

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:53 pm 
Post subject: Everton

I have a signed Everton v Kilmarnock programme from that tour you are referring to
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:42 pm 
Post subject: Re: Everton

holtie96 wrote:
I have a signed Everton v Kilmarnock programme from that tour you are referring to

Nice one. Seen a few of those over the years but not one full of ink. Good ink.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:22 am 
Post subject: Some vintage tickets from games played in the USA

Holtie, that’s a great item. I see Bobby Young didn’t sign it! I was talking to an Evertonian who is in his seventies and still follows them home and away. I asked him which Everton player that you have seen would you have back at Goodison now? He replied Alex Young. I said for me it would be Alan Ball. He had a think about it and said, you’re right , let’s have Alan Ball..
holtie96

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:04 am 
Post subject:

Thanks for the post, you need to cherish conversations like that one Thumbs Up
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: