Football Programmes Centre

London Boys v Manchester Boys
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
London Boys v Manchester Boys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goonerboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:53 am 
Post subject: London Boys v Manchester Boys

Can anyone confirm (or not) that London Boys played Manchester Boys at White Lane on 24 October 1963 ? Also was this an annual friendly or related to a specific competition ? Many thanks in advance, the help is much appreciated
thfcbasil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:12 pm 
Post subject: London Boys v Manchester boys

There was no fixture at White Hart Lane for the date you give.
The only boys fixture at Tottenham that season was a double header on 21st April involving Tottenham schools v Hackney in the Blaxland cup final and v. Islington schools in the Gardner cup final. A programme which is unnumbered was I think prodoced. If you ever see one I need it!!!!
Spurs regularly hosted boys game at the Lane. London Boys played Manchester boys at Tottenham 68/69 on the 9th April.
The 62/3 season London Boys played Liverpool boys 20/10/62
Tottenham schools v Cardiff schools 2/4/63
Tottenham schools v Brighton schools 10/4/63
Tottenham schools v Stoke schools 29/4/63
Again all unnumbered programmes that I have not got.

London Boys did play Manchester boys on 23rd October 1961 at White Hart Lane. Also during the double year at Cheshunt on 22nd October and at White Hart Lane on the 8th August programme numbered 46.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Cliff
thfcbasil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:14 pm 
Post subject: London boys

Should have been 8th April not August!!
Bluebird54

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:21 pm 
Post subject:

Hi, if you Google London Boys v Man Boys you will see several programmes for what seems to have been an annual Inter City Challenge Match. There is a programme for a game on the 23rd October1961 which Manchester won 1-0 (Jim Douthwaite scoring) there is a small report in the Daily Herald on the 24th. There is nothing relating to a game in Oct 1963. One game was transferred to Cheshunt so it maybe if there was a game in 1963 it was played there. Hope this helps.
goonerboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:36 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for the replies. I have a ticket for London Boys v Manchester Boys at White Hart Lane dated Thursday 24th October. There is no year on it but was with some early 60s tickets and 24th October was a Thursday in 1963, hence my assumption/question. . As it seems that there was no such match, anybody have any ideas of what year the ticket is for ? The other years where it was a thursday were 1968, 1957 or 1946. Could the game have been either of those ?
Thank you

colchestersid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:49 am 
Post subject:

It was 1957 - British Newspaper Archive search has a report that London beat Manchester 7-0, in an "Inter City" match under the floodlights at White Hart Lane
goonerboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:31 pm 
Post subject:

Brilliant, thank you for taking the time to look it up and posting an answer, very much appreciated
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: