Football Programmes Centre

Reading FC Press Photo: Identity of Opposition?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Reading FC Press Photo: Identity of Opposition?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cribsie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:59 pm 
Post subject: Reading FC Press Photo: Identity of Opposition?

This is from a Reading home game played in either 1986-87 or 1987-88, but I can't work out who the team in red is, can anyone please?

Blackjack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:02 pm 
Post subject:

Swindon I think mate
Maidonian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:19 pm 
Post subject:

cribsie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:32 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I did think that myself, but the only time Reading played them then Swindon weren't wearing that kit.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:53 pm 
Post subject:

I checked out HFK for all the red teams - Barnsley, Bournemouth, Crewe, Doncaster, Exeter, Middlesbrough, Forest, Swindon, Wrexham - apologies if I forgot someone - but Swindon was the nearest though not totally.

But if it's not them, or any of those others, then presumably it's a blue or white team in their red away kit.

Shame the photo isn't clear enough to show sponsors or a badge.
And I can't ID the player.

Good luck Chris.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Bluewinner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:35 pm 
Post subject:

If you enlarge the image, the kit is striped, so could it be Bristol City?
cribsie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:08 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
I checked out HFK for all the red teams - Barnsley, Bournemouth, Crewe, Doncaster, Exeter, Middlesbrough, Forest, Swindon, Wrexham - apologies if I forgot someone - but Swindon was the nearest though not totally.

But if it's not them, or any of those others, then presumably it's a blue or white team in their red away kit.

Shame the photo isn't clear enough to show sponsors or a badge.
And I can't ID the player.

Good luck Chris.

Thanks Pete. Very difficult to get the badge any clearer as the photo isn't too sharp. One of the stripes on the shorts is blue which maybe indicates that was the home kit colour?

Maidonian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:36 pm 
Post subject:

Could it be Millwall and the game played at Elm Park on 23rd August 1986?

Their change kit that season was red.
farmersboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:34 am 
Post subject:

Looking at the Pompey programmes for that season, Millwall's kit is described as 'red with white trim'. In the Millwall programme their home kit has 'London Docklands' as their sponsors.
Bluewinner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:42 am 
Post subject:

Looking at the historical kits website, the game could be from 1988/9 as the thick strip on the shorts and socks were used in that season and the previous one. Still cannot work out the away team, so looking at the player shadows and the gaps in the crowd, could it be a pre-season freindly against a team from out of the division?
Maidonian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:21 pm 
Post subject: Re: Reading FC Press Photo: Identity of Opposition?

cribsie wrote:
This is from a Reading home game played in either 1986-87 or 1987-88, but I can't work out who the team in red is, can anyone please?

Chris, I see that this was one from a bundle you acquired from Roger Titford but has he, David Downs or anyone else from STAR not been able to help?

I wondered if the Reading Evening Post had any online archive you could cross reference the photo with as I assume it may have appeared in that publication?
cribsie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:00 pm 

Maidonian wrote:
cribsie wrote:

Chris, I see that this was one from a bundle you acquired from Roger Titford but has he, David Downs or anyone else from STAR not been able to help?

I wondered if the Reading Evening Post had any online archive you could cross reference the photo with as I assume it may have appeared in that publication?

I have three photos against the same opposition, and they show Hicks, Richardson and Williams of Reading.

The home games those three appeared together in 1986-87 were: Grimsby, Blackburn, Oldham, Birmingham, Sunderland, Plymouth, Huddersfield, Palace, Hull, Sheff Utd, Bradford and Leeds.

In 1987-88 the games were: Huddersfield, Bradford, Villa and Bournemouth.

Nothing at all is written on the back of the photos unfortunately. I guess another option could be a friendly or testimonial. I do have access to the Post archives so may go down that route. It's not that important of course but I'm just intrigued! Thanks for the suggestions Smile
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:25 pm 

cribsie wrote:
Maidonian wrote:
cribsie wrote:

I have three photos against the same opposition, and they show Hicks, Richardson and Williams of Reading.

The home games those three appeared together in 1986-87 were: Grimsby, Blackburn, Oldham, Birmingham, Sunderland, Plymouth, Huddersfield, Palace, Hull, Sheff Utd, Bradford and Leeds.

Nothing at all is written on the back of the photos unfortunately. I guess another option could be a friendly or testimonial. I do have access to the Post archives so may go down that route. It's not that important of course but I'm just intrigued! Thanks for the suggestions Smile

Chris, on HFK, Blackburn's shorts (86/7/Cool are an exact match - white with red & blue stripe down the side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Maidonian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:47 pm 
Post subject:

Chris, my gut feeling would be it is from a pre-season friendly.

The list of potential league opponents you have given can probably be narrowed down simply by the fact that the trees are in leaf and the clothing of the spectators suggest early or late season.

I would have thought that this might would rule out all but Hull (14/3/1987), Sheffield United (21/3/1987), Bradford City (11/4/1987) and Leeds United (Monday 22/4/1987).

However, Pete's suggestion is it could be Blackburn and I note that the day temperature in Reading on 4th October 1986 seems to have been 19 degrees celsius.

In 1987/88, it would seem only Aston Villa (19/3/1988) and Bournemouth (13/4/1988) might fit, although the latter was played on a Wednesday.

(As a tangent, I was fortunate to acquire a host of press photos decades ago featuring Maidenhead United from the 1960's/1970's and still haven't managed to identify the opponents in many cases. TBH, I think you stand a good chance of solving this one, though)
Bluewinner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:18 pm 
Post subject:

The shirt looks like the Charlton shirt from 1985 but without the sponsor, and the socks could be a change to stop a clash, but the stripes on the shorts seem odd. I cannot find a clear image to check. Is there anywhere to get a list of Reading friendlies in the 80's?
cribsie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:33 pm 

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
cribsie wrote:
Maidonian wrote:
cribsie wrote:

Chris, on HFK, Blackburn's shorts (86/7/Cool are an exact match - white with red & blue stripe down the side.

Thank you Pete, you've cracked it! Reading beat Blackburn on 4th October 1986. I was there that day; I just didn't remember Blackburn wearing that kit... This is a still from the video.

cribsie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:36 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks all for the helpful suggestions. Pete has finally solved it, but I really appreciate the replies.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:54 am 
Post subject:

Don't like being beaten, Chris! Great team work.

Easy
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: