Football Programmes Centre

Rare Memorabilia Dumped
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Rare Memorabilia Dumped

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Ticket Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:27 pm 
Post subject: Rare Memorabilia Dumped

With the discussion on the forum about the value of programmes/ memorabilia , it got me thinking about items that probably all have us have dumped over the years. Then, years later , regretted it.. They might have been binned accidentally , or on purpose. I’ll start with a biggie. New Brighton Tower Ballroom 1962. All four Beatles sitting at a table( Pete Best still with them) signing early publicity cards for anyone that wanted them . They were still thrilled to be asked for their autographs , being virtually unknown outside Merseyside/Hamburg . My older brother obtained one, then sat on the late night bus back home looking at it. His mates started ridiculing him, “ only girls collect autographs” type of comments. He ripped it up and threw it out of the bus window. I remember Liverpool’s David Fairclough telling me that while he was abroad playing for a team in Switzerland , his mother had a clear out and gave most of his programme collection to the binman without telling him her plans. Laughing
seand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:18 am 
Post subject:

Oof, painful one for your brother! Fsirclough's programmes were probably 99% worthless but who knows what gems may have been in there, one or two European aways would be worth a few bob

You do wonder about items being thrown in the bin by people who won't recognise the value in grubby old bits of paper. My father, in law, who knows I'm a collector, was on the verge of dumping some old Gaelic football and hurling programmes he found while clearing out his mother's old house. Didn't think I'd be interested as I'm not much of a GAA fan but my wife rolled her eyes and said 'Sean will have them'. A dozen programmes, mainly 1950s finals, probably €1,000 worth just about rescued from the recycling bin!
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:16 pm 
Post subject:

One of my daughters worked in a rest home and if that could not find any next of kin when rezies passed there remaining belongings were bin banged .
My girl asked me has she new I collected memorabilia did I know a former player called Alber
Nightingale (Leeds) has his items had been binned went aroun to NH but skip had been taken I bet there were some rite old jem's in there .
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:10 pm 

Seand, l got the impression that D Fairclough was a bit of a collector. He still seemed a bit put out by his mum dumping his programmes. It was a function at Anfield and practically the whole of that 1960s team were sitting at a table signing stuff. I had a few of those European aways and got the team to sign them... David asked could he have a look and said that he’d had all these in his collection . I think what Thedoog said must have happened numerous times. Many years ago, the old chap who lived door to us on his own died. He had been a collector of dinkies and models of trams. Whoever inherited his house turned up one day and so they wouldn’t have to pay council tax on the property emptied his house. All his collection ( still in their boxes) was dumped. I was out at work, so couldn’t rescue them. You only hope someone at the tip spotted them..
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:19 pm 
Post subject:

Imagine having a copy of the iconic St Etienne programme signed by Supersub himself! Speaking of Mr Fairclough, I remember seeing his 1978 European Cup Final shirt framed in a football bar named " Football Football " by Piccadilly Circus in 1996. Does anyone else remember this place?

My own lost memorabilia story might have been posted before but concerns an ancient turnstile. Whilst walking past my local rugby club St Helens I noticed an old fashioned turnstile in a skip outside the ground. I got chatting to the stadium manager who informed me that the turnstile had been in the one the the stands being upgraded but had originally come from from the old Paddock stand at Anfield when the Main stand was being built in 1971. I went back the day after with the intention of maybe manhandling the heavy item out of the skip. But alas the skip was gone and with it a unique piece of Saints/LFC history. Neutral
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:25 pm 
Post subject:

It probably happens all the time. Thankfully people are becoming more and more aware that old stuff may = money, given the amount of antique and buy/sell programmes on TV. Hopefully that reduces the amount of stuff dumped these days.
Footyfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:45 pm 
Post subject:

I was an absolute collecting nut as a kid (1960s)and amassed a huge collection of Leeds related memorabilia - programmes. tickets, newspapers etc some stuff given by relatives and neighbours. Like many collectors I lost interest in my late teens so the stiff was just boxed up. I joined the Army in 1975 and was posted to Germany.
My parents moved house in the late 70s and binned all my stuff believing I did not collect anymore - disaster
I have spent the past 40 years or so rebuilding but will never obtain a lot of the stuff I had.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:38 pm 

Footyfan, that’s even worse than Fairclough’s experience. As a kid, I remember having one of those Beatles plastic guitars that l think Woolworths sold. It was a full size one. You could never really get a tune out of it though. One day , after watching The Who smashing up their equipment on some TV show , l decided to find out what it felt like to smash up a guitar. From what l recall, it felt pretty good. Years later, l found out they were now selling for around £500 Shocked
New Forest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:30 pm 
Post subject:

Its incumbent on the rest of us to ensure our treasures don't end up at car boot fairs.

My dad supported Leyton from the twenties as his garden backed on to the Hare & Hounds Ground. He went to 4 of Leyton's 5 pre-war amateur cup finals, visited Bishop Auckland. When he was away serving his king and country the lot went in the waste paper drive.

I could cry but fortunately I meet Len Llwellyn many years ago at a fair at Leytonstone. One of the Ilford players had recently moved and discovered a load of Leyton home programmes in the loft, all dating from 1929 to 1934. Was I interested. It took me forty years to get all of them from Len. I was still waiting for Leyton v Fulham when he sadly died.

You win some, you lose some
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:41 pm 
Post subject:

It may be apocryphal, but I remember Don Smith the Argyle collector telling that one of the post war Argyle managers had a load of pre war programmes dumped on a bonfire because they were taking up too much room.

Can't remember which one and Don is not one of those who has ever adjusted to the internet.....I used to get the occasionally badly scrawled missive offering me various programmes at exorbitant prices telling me how rare they were...even though a) they weren't and b ) I generally already had them in any case.

Lovely bloke though with a huge collection and an ever larger store of great stories of how he obtained them...he used to write for a few publications but haven't seen or heard from him for ages....
farmersboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:51 pm 
Post subject:

I've always been a collector, as a kid it was mostly Brooke Bond Tea cards and those that came with a piece of chewing gum. One day I was playing in the street with the other kids, when the dustbin lorry came by. Out of the back a load of cards came fluttering out, as we all scrambled to pick them up, I realised they looked familiar. I confronted my mum, who said she had thrown them out because they were 'untidy'. Over 55 years later I still bring it up over Christmas Dinner.
ndg1860

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:45 am 
Post subject:

Taking this thread from a slightly different direction, but related.

Been chatting with the past programme shop owner at Gillingham. Like other clubs, he has been in a bit of a mess. He told me that when the club owner fell out with the supporters club, they had to close down. He then tried to sell off his large quantity of programmes while housing them in someone's garage. When that person passed away he had to move out and with nowhere to go and so many unsold, even after a further six months, the tip was the programme's destination.

I know in the SE that there have been many club shops that have been either marginalised or just closed down. Winchester's caravan has gone, Welling's room is now a car boot and Dartford's big room became a smaller room and now a threat to push them outside the ground itself. Owners have other interests than nostalgia. Seeing more and more programmes or similar from these shops hitting the tip will be the future, I am fearful to say.

Individuals are dropping their whole collections at auction houses, hoping to get something for them, but anything post-1960 generally goes for a pittance. But still, it is something better than the loss at a tip. Only problem is that there needs to be buyers and if a large number of people or ex-shops do this, then the market will be exhausted and the final destination will eventually be the tip.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Ticket Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: