Football Programmes Centre

Restoration advice
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Restoration advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:14 pm 
Post subject: Restoration advice

I probably know the answer to this already, but I'll ask anyway.

I have a programme which was glued into a scrapbook in the late 1940's (see pic), is there any straightforward way to remove the paper without damage?

I suspect it will be a case of sending to an expert, if so any recommentations? I know about Eamonn but are there others who can do this cheaply, the programme isn't worth a great deal.

[/img]
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:32 pm 
Post subject:

Only had work done by Eamonn and yes can highly recommend him, has to be others out there but think Eamonn t best.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:03 pm 
Post subject:

Thedoog10 wrote:
Only had work done by Eamonn and yes can highly recommend him, has to be others out there but think Eamonn t best.

Have used Eamonn many times and does a great job, but always good to know if there are alternatives if I need to get this professionally done.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:42 pm 
Post subject:

I used to use a guy down in London, whose name escapes me now, but he died a good few years back now. He would only charge about £2 maximum for cleaning programmes and did a good job with them, although he never replaced the staples until politely asked to do so once!

I use these for the minor kind of restoration work that I do on my own stuff. Wouldn't like to try it with what you're looking at Graham, but for sellotape removal, ink removal etc they can't be beat. Slugger will vouch for that?
TheSorter!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:02 pm 
Post subject: restoration

It'd be nice to know if there's anybody other Eamonn that does restoration
BHA1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:34 pm 
Post subject:

Auchinleckian wrote:
I used to use a guy down in London, whose name escapes me now, but he died a good few years back now.

Robert James from Sidcup. Worked for the British Library. Lovely chap.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:38 am 
Post subject:

Auchinleckian wrote:
I used to use a guy down in London, whose name escapes me now, but he died a good few years back now. He would only charge about £2 maximum for cleaning programmes and did a good job with them, although he never replaced the staples until politely asked to do so once!

I use these for the minor kind of restoration work that I do on my own stuff. Wouldn't like to try it with what you're looking at Graham, but for sellotape removal, ink removal etc they can't be beat. Slugger will vouch for that?

I think the job requires expert work, rather than DIY which could turn bad! its well glued on and has been for over 60 years.

....and just to clarify, Eamonn's work is absolutely top notch and I would recommend him to anyone, just curious as to whether there are other experts out there offering this service.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:08 pm 
Post subject:

Guy we're talking about did an excellent job of cleaning programmes - at about £2 maximum - and did a wonderful job.
martino

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:36 pm 
Post subject:

Sportingold advertise the service in their catalogue. Not sure if it is Eamon who does it or someone else.
garyspain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:18 pm 
Post subject:

Eamon does an excellent job but is very pricey as stated above.

I got programmes removed from a scrapbook here in Dublin quite cheaply by a professional restorer. Just use the golden pages or the internet and I'm sure you will find a local one.

It can be done yourself if you buy certain chemicals and can even by done with steam. However I decided not to in the end and that was probably a smart move.

He had no interest in football but previously did a programme job on 60's and 70's Man Utd programmes that were water damaged. He was amazed when I emntioned they were probably only worth a couple of quid each. The eprson had been at the games and had kept them.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:45 pm 
Post subject:

garyspain wrote:

I got programmes removed from a scrapbook here in Dublin quite cheaply by a professional restorer. Just use the golden pages or the internet and I'm sure you will find a local one.

It can be done yourself if you buy certain chemicals and can even by done with steam. However I decided not to in the end and that was probably a smart move.

He had no interest in football but previously did a programme job on 60's and 70's Man Utd programmes that were water damaged. He was amazed when I emntioned they were probably only worth a couple of quid each. The eprson had been at the games and had kept them.

Thanks Gary. I might try a bit of steaming and see what happens, given it's from the 1940's there's a good chance the glue might be water based I suppose and it could simply peel off. I'll see what more I can glean from the internet.

I really don't want to spend too much on this, although at the same time I don't want to cause damage.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:12 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
garyspain wrote:

Thanks Gary. I might try a bit of steaming and see what happens, given it's from the 1940's there's a good chance the glue might be water based I suppose and it could simply peel off. I'll see what more I can glean from the internet.

I really don't want to spend too much on this, although at the same time I don't want to cause damage.

1940's or a bit earlier adhesives used animal fats and you can buy a harmless chemical to lift it all off-I bought some from a guy in Shropshire 10 years ago called "Label Lifter" and it still works. They are no longer in business but you can find the solution on the net.

Works every time, paper gets soaked peels away-goes crinkly and then as it dries it settles back to what it looked like before, I used it to remove war time match reports double sided stuck in old exercise books.

I am afraid there is no chemical name on the bottles unfortunately but it should not be too difficult to track down.

I hope you can find it sooner than later Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:00 pm 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:

1940's or a bit earlier adhesives used animal fats and you can buy a harmless chemical to lift it all off-I bought some from a guy in Shropshire 10 years ago called "Label Lifter" and it still works. They are no longer in business but you can find the solution on the net.

Works every time, paper gets soaked peels away-goes crinkly and then as it dries it settles back to what it looked like before, I used it to remove war time match reports double sided stuck in old exercise books.

I am afraid there is no chemical name on the bottles unfortunately but it should not be too difficult to track down.

Thanks Leslie, can't find that brand name but do you think this could be the same principle?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sticker-Lifter-Removes-Adhesive-Residue/dp/B000LLUNW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535752771&sr=8-1&keywords=Label+Lifter
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:55 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:

Thanks Leslie, can't find that brand name but do you think this could be the same principle?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sticker-Lifter-Removes-Adhesive-Residue/dp/B000LLUNW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535752771&sr=8-1&keywords=Label+Lifter

That item is only ok for modern items not for glues used in the 1920 to 1950's
I will get it out and see if there is any info on bottles.
A Google search for removing old animal based glues from the 1940's may throw up some chemical names or you can contact a paper conservator who could help with the name of the chemical that will remove and lift the paper away.

I will do some more
Sherlock work over the weekend. Thumbs Up

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:58 am 
Post subject:

That item is only ok for modern items not for glues used in the 1920 to 1950's
I will get it out and see if there is any info on bottles.
A Google search for removing old animal based glues from the 1940's may throw up some chemical names or you can contact a paper conservator who could help with the name of the chemical that will remove and lift the paper away.

I will do some more
Sherlock work over the weekend. Thumbs Up

Cheers Leslie, I'll also do a bit of googling.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:33 pm 
Post subject:

Had a bit of a Google but didn't uncover anything conclusive as to how best to tackle this, or any solutions specifically designed to tackle old glue.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:15 am 
Post subject:

Just an update on this since the topic has raised it's head again, I got Eamonn to do it in the end and as always, a great job.

He is currently working on a more challenging project for me.

Still curious as to whether there is anyone else out there offering this service.
Leigh Treymaine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:39 pm 
Post subject: Restoration

Does anyone know who does the restoration at Sportingold auctions. This question has been raised before but as far as I know has not been answered.
Perhaps regular attenders would be able to shed some light.
TheSorter!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:24 pm 
Post subject: restoration

I've had about ten programmes restored by the guy who Chris Williams uses. He's done a great job and was cheaper than Eamonn would have been. I haven't got his contact details but he's called Andrew! Smile
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:44 am 
Post subject:

Eammon is the man. If your item is that special to you, then send it to the best, why chance anyone else to save a little bit
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: