Football Programmes Centre

First Club To Record A Vinyl Record
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
First Club To Record A Vinyl Record

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes Offered for Sale or Swap
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:11 pm 
Post subject: First Club To Record A Vinyl Record

According to a recent article in the Liverpool Echo, Everton were the first British club to record a vinyl record , with the classic ‘ E-V-E-R-T-O-N ‘ ,, b side ‘Everton For Me ‘ recorded in 1963 by the title- winning team. The recording took place at Percy Phillips Studio , Liverpool. This is the small studio that The Quarrymen( early Beatles) first recorded a disc at before they hit the big time. Surely someone recorded a football team before 1963. Does anyone know of an earlier football disc?
Turin21041999

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:19 pm 
Post subject:

Not sung by the team but the Manchester United Calypso was released in 1957 and sung by Edric Connor
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:12 am 
Post subject: First Club To Record

Turin, l do remember that Man Unt 1950s record. For a football song, it’s not bad. I had a hunch that if any group of players recorded one before Everton, it might have have been that great Spurs 1960-61 double team. ‘ ‘ Glory Glory’ seemed a cert for them to record. Wasn’t that the Spurs fans song during that era? Perhaps the article is correct and the Everton team did get in first?
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:52 am 

The Totnamites released this in 1961 after the Double.

Almost makes you beg for Chas n' Dave........almost! Laughing

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tottenham+song+recoreded+&view=detail&mid=FBC802D1248899D085C0FBC802D1248899D085C0&FORM=VIRE
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:56 am 
Post subject: Re: First Club To Record

Flaming Pie wrote:
Turin, l do remember that Man Unt 1950s record. For a football song, it’s not bad. I had a hunch that if any group of players recorded one before Everton, it might have have been that great Spurs 1960-61 double team. ‘ ‘ Glory Glory’ seemed a cert for them to record. Wasn’t that the Spurs fans song during that era? Perhaps the article is correct and the Everton team did get in first?

Glory, Glory was recorded by the Spurs squad in 1967 ahead of the FA Cup Final.

I have a feeling that the 1961 squad released "MacNamara's Band" , but can't find any details to confirm that at the moment.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:33 pm 

Five, that Totenamites record is truly dreadful. I bet even Danny Blanchflower was not happy with the b side either. The strange thing is , years later you find out that the backing singers on some of these terrible records, also provided vocals on rock classics such as ‘ Hey Joe’ , which l think had a couple of The Vernons Girls on it? I bet that Everton’s single is is even worse! I have never heard it. If you can find it ( the Everton single) any chance of doing that thing, we’re you put it on the Forum to hear it ?
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:36 pm 

Flaming Pie wrote:
Five, that Totenamites record is truly dreadful. I bet even Danny Blanchflower was not happy with the b side either. The strange thing is , years later you find out that the backing singers on some of these terrible records, also provided vocals on rock classics such as ‘ Hey Joe’ , which l think had a couple of The Vernons Girls on it? I bet that Everton’s single is is even worse! I have never heard it. If you can find it ( the Everton single) any chance of doing that thing, we’re you put it on the Forum to hear it ?

Just for you Pie...Enjoy...unless your ears start bleeding first Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZhRGul4nPY
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:17 pm 
Post subject: First Club To Record A Vinyl

Five, doesn’t get much better than that. Didn’t Peter Reid once say that the Everton 1980s team were heavily influenced by Captain Beefheart Laughing I see Neville Southall is not involved in the corny television set up.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:03 am 
Post subject:

Turin21041999 wrote:
Not sung by the team but the Manchester United Calypso was released in 1957 and sung by Edric Connor

https://flic.kr/p/6eTaNE
https://flic.kr/p/6eSYtL
Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:24 am 

Leslie, any date on that ‘United United ‘ record ? I see It has got Best on the label, but George hadn’t arrived on first team scene in time for the 1963 Final. I remember Giles in the 1963 Final, but he is not on the label. The Everton 45 vinyl appears to have been released in June 1963. Both the singles were released on the Thistle Records label.
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:36 am 
Post subject:

Not the first but possibly one of the worst

The 1974/5 Plymouth Argyle single to the tune of It's a long way to Tipperary

Lyrics included

It's a long way to Plymouth Argyle
It's a long way to go....
It's a long way down to Home Park
To see the Argyle steal the show

Furnell Hore and Burrows
Saxton Delve and Green
Randall Johnson and McAuley
Mariner and Rafferty's our team

Farewell Third Division
We've enjoyed our stay with you
Now it's on to greater things
As we win Division Two

Er...we didn't....not even when they renamed Division 4

Some things are best left unsung
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:42 am 

Flaming Pie wrote:
Leslie, any date on that ‘United United ‘ record ? I see It has got Best on the label, but George hadn’t arrived on first team scene in time for the 1963 Final. I remember Giles in the 1963 Final, but he is not on the label. The Everton 45 vinyl appears to have been released in June 1963. Both the singles were released on the Thistle Records label.

Good Spot!

The record will have been released probably in the Autumn of 1963.

Giles would have been on the record lable as he was at Wembley in the May, but he left for Leeds United[one of Busby's biggest errors, like Fergy with Stam but Giles was a real big error].

Georgie Best signed for United in August 1961 and turned pro in May 1963 making his United debut on the 14th September 1963.
The photo used on the cover was after the 1963 Final of course and George was just one of the reserves, I suppose the record was released in late 1963 by which time young Georgie was a regular as well as playing in United's Youth team.

Hope this helps Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:26 am 

Leslie, couldn’t agree more, Giles developed into a superb midfielder at Leeds. I think that little hard case at Elland Road, Bobby Collins, gave Giles a few tips when it came to looking after yourself on the pitch. Johnny also developed a fine left hook( K Keegan 1974 Charity Shield) as well! I still think Spurs might have got in first, but for the time being it looks like Everton recorded the first vinyl record. Perhaps Thistle Records were so happy with the sales of that Everton 1963 League Champs record, that they thought we better get the FA Cup winners, Man Unt, to put something out as well? To be honest, l have never seen a copy of the Everton disc.
manutd1977

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:16 pm 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
Turin21041999 wrote:

https://flic.kr/p/6eTaNE
https://flic.kr/p/6eSYtL
Wave

Leslie do you have the Estudiantes lp from the 1968 WCC, i tried to buy it from Argentina years ago but it never turned up!
Had the match on one side and b side was the Estudiantes club song!
If i remember their was also a 78 of United's 1st FA Cup final win in 1909 featuring the match highlights?
I'm due in Argentina in August so hopefully be able to pick a few bits up (not the programme of course)!
Footyfan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:52 pm 
Post subject:

Leeds Utd recorded a Leeds Utd Calypso in May 1964 written by 1950s pop star Ronnie Hilton:
http://www.45cat.com/record/pop1299
Other Leeds Utd records include the one released for the 1972 FA Cup Final "Leeds United"; a single released in 1972, as the official song for their appearance in the Centenary FA Cup Final.
It reached number 10 in the UK Singles Chart.
The B-side is the better known song "Leeds Leeds Leeds", also known as "Marching On Together". The B Side is now the club anthem.
The song was written by Les Reed who also wrote 'Deliah' for Tom Jones.
As an aside the Minnesota Twins baseball fans copy the Leeds Leeds
Leeds (Marching on Together)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te4ZoqdLtio

Last edited by Footyfan on Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:01 pm 

Footyfan,, you mentioned Les Reed writing ‘ Delilah’. Les wrote the music and Barry Mason and Sylvan Whittingham the lyrics. Barry Mason was getting interviewed once and he said that he’d had a few drinks in a pub and went to the gents to relieve himself . The bloke in the next cubicle was loudly whistling ‘ Delilah’ Barry mentioned proudly to him that he wrote the lyrics for that song. The bloke, unimpressed, replied “ l’m not whistling the bloody lyrics am l, l’m whistling the bloody tune!”
Footyfan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:38 pm 
Post subject: Re: First Club To Record A Vinyl Record

Flaming Pie wrote:
Footyfan,, you mentioned Les Reed writing ‘ Delilah’. Les wrote the music and Barry Mason and Sylvan Whittingham the lyrics. Barry Mason was getting interviewed once and he said that he’d had a few drinks in a pub and went to the gents to relieve himself . The bloke in the next cubicle was loudly whistling ‘ Delilah’ Barry mentioned proudly to him that he wrote the lyrics for that song. The bloke, unimpressed, replied “ l’m not whistling the bloody lyrics am l, l’m whistling the bloody tune!”

Laughing
Footyfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:44 pm 
Post subject:

After mentioning Les Reed in my post yesterday it has been announced today that he has passed away aged 83:
https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/les-reed-stoke-leeds-delilah-2765628
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes Offered for Sale or Swap All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: