Football Programmes Centre

Club programme shops.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Club programme shops.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:59 pm 
Post subject: Club programme shops.

Are the old type programme shops attached to their club now largely a thing of the past? I remember when myself and two friends ran RJS Programmes at Blundell Park @ Grimsby Town FC it was quite a successful venture, and it made a fair bit of money. When the club wanted to expand it's premises for retail purposes with the explosion of replica kits in the early 1990s that venture ended, albeit I'd moved up to Scotland a couple of years later.

At Auchinleck Talbot we are currenly bucking the national trend, and the club physically built me a brand new facility two seasons back to assist with our money raising efforts. The fans donate the items, and six years on, there's rarely a game goes by without someone popping a bag of stuff in to me asking if it's of any use. To date we have raised £13,700 from the stuff the fans have donated, a lot of money for a non league club in this neck of the woods. I have a small band of folk who turn up quite regularly because they know the shop is there, and I always try to ensure we have new stock in that reflects their collecting habits, and do this by exchanging with others.

I'm not aware of any other clubs in Scotland doing similar, and was wondering if such shops are now thin on the ground in the English non league game? I know lots of clubs will have a box or two or current season issues but that wouldn't really constitute a programme shop as such. Are there still the genuine programme shops of old out there, and if so where are the best ones?
Westwardprogs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:11 pm 
Post subject:

There are five good ones I know of in the West Country:
At Yeovil Town, Bristol Rovers, Bath City Dorchester Town and Bideford.
billywhizz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:18 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Crewe still have a good shop.Worth a visit.
RIKERBCFC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:54 pm 
Post subject:

In the non-league world the following have programmes shops.
Altrincham , Curzon Ashton , Alfreton Town , Bradford Park Avenue had but no longer, I am sure there are more.
Dorking

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:20 am 
Post subject:

At Dorking Wanderers, our club shop is a shed with an adjoining small marquee canopy.

From a collecting point of view there are a couple of badge boards, and a couple of boxes of general programmes, plus a couple of folders of big match programmes.

Its only open before the kick off though, so allow some time.

Dorking Wanderers actual programme is alive and kicking and sells well (take note Lewes FC you programme shysters) but theres not a massive amount of interest in the 'old stuff' as the ground is brand new this season and whilst attendances have quadrupled, the new fans aren't really interested in collecting for collectings sake (yet)
stanley nick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:21 am 
Post subject: Programme Shops

Excellent flagging these up
Just to add
UK AIRBUS
HYDE UTD
STOCKSBRIDGE PARK STEELS FC
BAMBER BRIDGE
CHORLEY
ACCRINGTON STANLEY ( IN DOOR MARKET TOWN CENTRE)
LEAMINGTON
BARROW
I A SURE SHARROWBLADE WILL ADD TO THIS OR ANYBODY ELSE
Jamesy1926

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:31 pm 
Post subject:

There is a very good one at Aberystwyth although it was closed on my last visit a month or so ago with replica style souvenirs available from an office on the far side of the ground along with a handful of programmes.
mark01

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:32 pm 
Post subject:

Witton Albion have a shop and Museum.

regards, Mark
Jamesy1926

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:33 pm 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:
At Dorking Wanderers, our club shop is a shed with an adjoining small marquee canopy.

From a collecting point of view there are a couple of badge boards, and a couple of boxes of general programmes, plus a couple of folders of big match programmes.

Its only open before the kick off though, so allow some time.

Dorking Wanderers actual programme is alive and kicking and sells well (take note Lewes FC you programme shysters) but theres not a massive amount of interest in the 'old stuff' as the ground is brand new this season and whilst attendances have quadrupled, the new fans aren't really interested in collecting for collectings sake (yet)

Does Isaac Philpott still play for you?
chelseapeter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:49 am 
Post subject:

HI.ALL.ANYONE REMEMBER THE CHELSEA PROGRAME SHOP IN THE FULHAM ROAD.NEAR THE GROUND.CAN'T REMEMBER WHO RAN IT USE TO VISIT IT EVERY HOME MATCH .THINK IT DISAPPEARD AROUND1990 .DID ANY FORUM MEMBERS PAY A VISIT TO THE SHOP WHEN THEIR TEAM PLAYED AT THE BRIDGE..
CHRIS GIBBS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:04 pm 
Post subject: Club programme shops

On a recent visit to Walsall, I was told the small programme shop behind the away end of the ground was no longer in operation. Supporters club now use the room. Andrew Murray still has a match day shop a few minutes from the ground at Southampton . Local non league sides Havant and waterlooville and bognor regis still have programmes sections in their club shops.
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:07 pm 
Post subject:

Does Isaac Philpott still play for you?[/quote]

Yes
bigdavethemaddog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:12 pm 
Post subject:

York City have an excellent programme shop. Whitby Town, Dagenham, Doncaster are others off hand that i know have decent programme shops.
Footyfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:10 pm 
Post subject:

There is a Progranme Cabin on match days on the pub carpark (The Old Peacock) on Elland Road opposite the South Stand (Leeds Utd). They have a good range of Leeds plus programmes for whichever club Leeds are playing on a particular day.

The Cabin is operated by KicK Off Programmes:
https://www.kickoffprogrammes.com/
The SFC Chris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:50 pm 
Post subject:

Folkestone Invicta have a cracking programme hut at their ground.
bigdavethemaddog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:26 pm 
Post subject:

Bradford Park Avenue also have a programme shop i believe
London Lilywhite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:27 pm 
Post subject:

The SFC Chris wrote:
Folkestone Invicta have a cracking programme hut at their ground.

Seconded! Thousands of programmes, loads of books, football shirts, badges amongst other memorabilia. Well worth getting there in good time before a match!
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:52 pm 
Post subject: Re: Club programme shops

CHRIS GIBBS wrote:
On a recent visit to Walsall, I was told the small programme shop behind the away end of the ground was no longer in operation.

That's a real shame, great little shop, only good thing at Walsall because the result never was Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:00 pm 
Post subject: Re: Club programme shops.

Auchinleckian wrote:
I'm not aware of any other clubs in Scotland doing similar, and was wondering if such shops are now thin on the ground in the English non league game? I know lots of clubs will have a box or two or current season issues but that wouldn't really constitute a programme shop as such. Are there still the genuine programme shops of old out there, and if so where are the best ones?

Evening John, if you're talking non league, and what would constitute a bonafide programme shop. Worksop Town have a large one, North Ferriby used to have one but haven't been for 2/3 years so cannot confirm that its still in operation. Staveley Miners Welfare have a large one if only they could find somebody to open it (lol), Matlock Town have a nice little one and I understand Selby Town have a banging one. I did go to one, one year but cannot remember where which was quite good, so not much use there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
grantham

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:03 am 
Post subject: Re: Club programme shops.

sharrowblade wrote:
Auchinleckian wrote:

Evening John, if you're talking non league, and what would constitute a bonafide programme shop. Worksop Town have a large one, North Ferriby used to have one but haven't been for 2/3 years so cannot confirm that its still in operation. Staveley Miners Welfare have a large one if only they could find somebody to open it (lol), Matlock Town have a nice little one and I understand Selby Town have a banging one. I did go to one, one year but cannot remember where which was quite good, so not much use there.

North Ferriby United folded last week
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: