Football Programmes Centre

Cup shocks in Scotland
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Cup shocks in Scotland
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:41 pm 
Post subject: Cup shocks in Scotland

I can only think that our friend Auchinleckian is still down the pub as he hasn't been on to celebrate today's amazing Scottish Cup 4th round result, Auchinleck Talbot 1 Ayr United 0. That's "junior" side Talbot beating Championship Ayr, in front of what must be a club record 3100 fans at their Beechwood Park ground.

Talbot are "Scotland's most successful junior club" while Ayr are second in the Scottish Championship. Perhaps John can tell us how many levels separate the 2 neighbouring sides, for whom about 6 of the players had played for both sides before today's game.

But a momentous day in Scottish football and I'd imagine the streets of Ayrshire will be paved in Talbot's gold and black for the next few days. And Talbot take their place in the last 16 - incredible!

And let's hear it for lowly Stenhousemuir, bottom of League One, who put their league troubles behind them to get a 1-1 draw at Scots Premier Aberdeen, probably the best result in Steny's history - at least since they beat Aberdeen in the Cup in 1995.

Now for Cowdenbeath v Rangers, postponed last night, a game Rangers can't be looking forward to.

Cup football - don't you love it?

Easy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:49 pm 
Post subject:

Brilliant. I was following the Talbot game from over here, quite a result for them. We will have one very happy camper on here.

As a veteran of probably the biggest upset ever in the cup, I do love to see these surprises but of course to other " big" teams, not mine.

Roll on the draw tomorrow and hopefully we avoid the potential banana skin when our game gets played on the 30th.
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:09 pm 
Post subject:

Never met him, but Auchinleckian always sounds like a fantastic bloke on here, really chuffed for him

Best set the alarm clocks to get all the morning papers, and a scrapbook to stick all the reports in!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:00 pm 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:
Never met him, but Auchinleckian always sounds like a fantastic bloke on here, really chuffed for him

Best set the alarm clocks to get all the morning papers, and a scrapbook to stick all the reports in!

Yes, shame there wasn't a league shock in Liverpool...….
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:15 pm 
Post subject:

Am a bottle of Merlot to the good, a few cans and now onto the malts, so apologies for any keyboard errors in advance.

Got back from Tenerife last night, late on, after a meticulously planned jaunt for a fortnight away, but which guaranteed me being at the game as long as some loony fruitcake didn't start flying drones over Glasgow airport yesterday afternoon.

Despite our very first all ticket crowd (of 3,100) I took just £6 in the programme hut today....everyone was busy elsewhere, ie the local pubs. With it being a 12.15pm kick off, I arrived at the ground at 9.30am this morning to set up shop (for £6!) to find hundreds of Talbot and Ayr fans roaming around. It was surreal.

Anyway.......I reactivated my Paddy Power account, which I'd set up for the 2016 London Olympics, at 8.30am today and managed to get £20 on Talbot to beat Ayr at the very generous odds of 14/1. Cue £300 return come end of game. That's not what it was about though, it was getting the message out about our grade of football to a much wider audience than normal, and with it being televised that's just what it did.

In real terms this was the biggest shock result in the Scottish Cup since Berwick beat Ranger in 1967, and ir guarantees us national coverage again in the next round as well are bound to be on the BEEB again. have spent the whole evening reliving every aspect of the game online with fans who are appreciative of what my club bring to the game in a much wider perspective, and some who don't see it that way, and that just means so much to me.

Either of the Old Firm away tomorrow, please, in the draw for the fifth round........and the replay at Auchinleck something really to savour!

whosbrianwilson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:37 am 
Post subject:

Great day for you John. That's just what supporting a lower league club is all about.
Enjoy the malt.
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:52 am 

Delighted for you John and an incredible result for Talbot which shows that Cup competitions are not as dead as we may think they are.

I just wish I hadn't put Ayr to win down as the banker in my Predictor League this week! Get My Coat
Supermono13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:34 am 
Post subject:

Well done John.

What a special day.

As not a single one of us in the predictor league had faith that you'd do it may I apologise on all our behalves.

Wink
hibernian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:37 am 
Post subject:

Brilliant John, delighted for you guys.
I see the local full time dealer has priced the programme at £24.99, what a rip off
Shocked
DySporting

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:19 pm 
Post subject:

Brilliant result and well deserved reading the reports.

Well done also to Stenhousemuir who held Aberdeen which is a cracking result for them
CanaryHonestMan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:58 pm 
Post subject:

The last time Ayr lost to non-league opposition in the Scottish Cup - at Elgin in 1967 as an old First Division club too! - the draw for the next round resulted in Celtic v Elgin. Okay, the result was 7-0, but maybe a good omen for Auchinleckian and Co...
martino

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:21 pm 
Post subject:

Supermono13 wrote:
Well done John.

What a special day.

As not a single one of us in the predictor league had faith that you'd do it may I apologise on all our behalves.

Wink

Three of us got close in predicting a draw.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:53 pm 
Post subject:

I was banging the drum for ages about my not being able to see Talbot NOT beating Ayr yesterday. We are on a superb run at the moment, yesterday was our ninth win on the bounce. We've only lost one and drawn one of our 12 league games so far, we've already won the new League Cup this season, we've successfully negotiated 5 previous rounds of the Scottish Cup including becoming the first team to beat (an overly arrogant) Cove Rangers this season.

I saw Ayr at Queen of the South a few weeks back when Talbot's away game at Cambuslang was postponed and they didn't impress me despite being top of the Championship at the time. Their goalscoring centre forward Lawrence Shankland has been out crocked, and they hadn't won for 5 games - nor indeed scored in the last 4 of them, before yesterday - so to my mind we had to do what we're good at and they had to up their games.

Bizarrely, Beith were 12/1 to beat Ayr in the previous round, and when I saw the odds on offer at Paddy Power at 14/1 I wasn't going to miss that, even if it was just a modest £20 wager. Was dismissed as a crank at home games and on our forum because of my unwavering belief that we would win. Not now! Can't wait for the draw this afternoon, and last night as very pleasant indeed the more it wore on and the libation enjoyed.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:43 pm 

Auchinleckian, great result and good to hear you took a few quid off the bookies. I know how you felt when you have a good feeling about something, and few others share it. A few years back , late 1990s, l heard , well before pre-season, that Glamorgan were looking to sign Pakistan fast bowler Waqar Younis. Younis at the time was capable of blowing a team away on his own with a devastating burst of bowling. They did sign him. Went to my local bookies and asked for odds on Glamorgan to win the County Championship? The bloke behind the counter really didn’t have a clue. He started laughing and remarked “ Glamorgan , they are Welsh , they can’t play cricket! “.He checked with his boss and I got 66/1 . When they wrapped up the title in September , l picked up quite a few quid . lt felt good having the last laugh!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:15 pm 
Post subject:

Brilliant John, I'm very pleased for you and as Pie said, delighted you fleeced the bookies. I'll be tuning in for the draw.

Reminds me of the 1990 fight between Mike Tyson and James "Buster" Douglas. A two-horse race, with Douglas at something silly to one - if I remember correctly, 15 or so. I really fancied Buster for some reason.

I was going to the bookies but something happened and I got waylaid. So I went to bed and in the morning...……. Douglas had knocked him out.

I was livid. But there you go, some people have the luck and the conviction and on that day, I had neither.

Get My Coat
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:04 pm 
Post subject:

Happy with Hearts away, John?
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:37 pm 
Post subject:

Unfinished business Pete. We were robbed there in 2011-12 when we had an injury time equaliser wrongly adjudged to have been offside - although Tynie will disagree with that, he always does.

Truth be told would preferred the home draw as it showcases our ground, our club and our culture. The BEEB were very good at that yesterday.
Fishy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:01 pm 
Post subject:

Saw the goal on the BBC News down here this morning - nice one John!!
Enjoy the match v Hearts.
48/9 Newport.
49/0 Walsall; Exeter.
50/1 Port Vale.
51/2 Port Vale 1/5.
52/3 Swindon.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:44 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Happy with Hearts away, John?

We'll sort them out! ("goal" last time was well offside Cool )

The last time Hearts played them we went on to beat Hibs in the final 5-1, a great day indeed, so maybe a wee omen Thumbs Up
seand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:09 am 
Post subject:

some of you might enjoy this thread over on the When Saturday Comes forum on Talbot and the prosaic joy of Scottish junior football!

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/forum/one-touch-football/football/2110751-they-ll-be-dancing-in-the-streets-of-talbot-tonight

Which links to this truly magnificent groundhopper blog
http://berkshirepigchronicles.blogspot.com/2017/05/machan-most-of-it.html
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: