Football Programmes Centre

Bring Your Own Pipe.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Bring Your Own Pipe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:11 pm 
Post subject: Bring Your Own Pipe.

None of that No Smoking malarkey with the rugby brethren Sherlock
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:18 pm 
Post subject:

Crystal Palace had an annual smoking concert each year in the early 1900s

Bit of music, some rubbish comedy and the odd speech from the Chairman.

And presumably loads of smoking.

No wonder the Crystal Palace burned down!!!
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:28 pm 
Post subject: Bring Your Own Pipe

I remember seeing an advertisement for The Cavern, early 1960s. First 100 customers get a free pack of Woodbines. The Beatles and free Woodies, doesn’t get much better than that on a night out!
cribsie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:06 am 
Post subject:

In 1896 the local paper in Reading reported: 'To inaugurate the season a grand smoking concert will be held at the Town Hall on Aug. 31, and all the best local talent will appear.' If I was a local singer I wouldn't take the fact they had to attract punters using the word 'smoking' (something you could then do anytime, anywhere) as a positive Sherlock
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:46 am 
Post subject: Bring Your Own Pipe

Cribsie, one of the clear memories of Tranmere Rovers on a cold Friday night in the 1960s ( they played on Friday evening to try and get the Everton or Liverpool fans who travelled over The Mersey on a Saturday afternoon) was the smell wafting about of strong tobacco. Old Holbein/ St Bruno?, whatever they put in self- rolled ciggies. On the subject, whatever happened to the pipe smokers? Are pipes still produced ? Didn’t some of the more intellectual post war footballers , I’m thinking Danny Blanchflower, Johnny Carey, weren’t they photographed smoking the old pipes? If you read this Pete( Picture Palace) any photos of pipe smoking footballers?
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: