Football Programmes Centre

Anglo Italian Cup - Information wanted
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Anglo Italian Cup - Information wanted
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MansfieldTerrier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:50 pm 
Post subject:

If I were you I'd contact the club direct, John.
There HAS to be some kind of statistician connected to the club and they should put you in touch with him/her.

johnwells

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:41 pm 
Post subject: anglo italian match reports palace home games

Thanks for the replies to date, I am currently awaiting a reply from the Croydon Advertiser, but have noticed that the Lazio game was during the season so wonder if a subsequent League game may have carried the info. I have a typed team sheet for Lazio game which I acquired some time after the game but I feel it may not be official. As there was a programme for the Verona game, wouldnt there have been one for the Lazio game
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
MansfieldTerrier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:51 pm 
Post subject:

I'd guess that there should have been a separate programme for the game, John. As a matter of interest, I have the Palace ve Huddersfield programme for the March 1971 game and they were already looking ahead to the fixtures. As well as printing the current Italian League table they printed details of away travel: check out the prices!!

Also worth noting that in this programme they printed details of recent games, including Div 1, Football Combination, etc. and they printed the FULL TEAMS and goalscorers, etc. If they did this at the start of the 1971-72 season they may well have included the teams from the A-I at the back end of the previous season. Might be worth checking out programmes at the start of 1971-72 on eBay; no harm in asking sellers - I've done it myself before! Wink

Last edited by MansfieldTerrier on Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
MansfieldTerrier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:54 pm 
Post subject:

And, while I'm here, I might as well publish the covers of the two Huddersfield 'home' games.

You can see how they employed the 'official' A-I logo.

Last edited by MansfieldTerrier on Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
martino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:58 pm 
Post subject:

It is amazing how old threads spring to life. This one was started in 2011, went to sleep and has now been resurrected.

I wonder how the original poster got on with his research?
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:27 pm 
Post subject:

martino wrote:
It is amazing how old threads spring to life. This one was started in 2011, went to sleep and has now been resurrected.

Most people probably wouldn't bother to search for an earlier thread and would just start a new one.

Every credit to John for picking up the earlier thread as it is much easier for reference purposes when information on a specific subject is in the one place.
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:31 pm 
Post subject:

And to add something else to the thread here is the programme from the 1971 final when Blackpool defeated Bologna.

MansfieldTerrier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:36 pm 
Post subject:

Wow! Not seen that before.
Looks exactly the same as my Town one.

nutfield priory

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:47 pm 
Post subject: Re: anglo italian match reports palace home games

johnwells wrote:
Hi though I am not a Crystal Palace fan, in the early 1970's I saw several matches at Selhurst, including 3 of the 4 Anglo Italian matches.

I have my programme for the 1971 games v Cagliari and Inter, and have been able to get the results since then, but does anyone know where I can Find a match report for both games WHICH MUST INCLUDE FULL LINE-UPS, SUBS, SUBS USED AND WHO FOR.

I also attended the 1973 Lazio game, but not the Verona game,I used to have the Verona programme, but not the Lazio one, for which a full report is also required.

thank you

Have sent you a PM

john
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:29 pm 
Post subject:

In 77-78 Rovers played 3 games.

30th July Plymouth Argyle Home.
6th Aug Bristol C**y Away
9th Aug Birmingham City

See them here. http://bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com/1977-1978-5658.html

In 78-79 Rovers played 3 games.

1st Aug Cardiff City Home.
5th Aug Bristol C**y Away
8th Aug Fulham Away

See them here. http://bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com/1978-1979-5860.html

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:29 am 
Post subject:

As badhand pointed out to me (in a PM) the above was our Anglo-Scottish games. In the Anglo-Italian we only played Southend home and West Ham away in 92/93.

What a prat I am.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
MansfieldTerrier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:45 pm 
Post subject:

pastpirate wrote:
As badhand pointed out to me (in a PM) the above was our Anglo-Scottish games. In the Anglo-Italian we only played Southend home and West Ham away in 92/93.

What a prat I am.

Except... You wouldn't have played ANY English clubs in the Anglo-Italian Tournament; it was designed to facilitate English v Italian clubs only.

MansfieldTerrier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:54 pm 
Post subject:

And, just to kick this thread back to life once more, I have recently purchased this from eBay.

I thought that it was the Italian version of the common English guidebook to the tournament, but it turns out to be a Cagliari-centric booklet of just eight pages which features a textual history of the club, then photos of the stadium, players and then a calendar for all of the fixtures of the 1971 tournament for all of the twelve teams involved.

I'd hazard a guess and say that no-one else in here has one of these.
Got to be rarer than rocking horse manure! Clap

Rocky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:22 pm 
Post subject:

MansfieldTerrier wrote:
Except... You wouldn't have played ANY English clubs in the Anglo-Italian Tournament; it was designed to facilitate English v Italian clubs only.

I think Jamie was referring to the AIC qualifying stages for the 92/93 season

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
MansfieldTerrier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:38 pm 
Post subject:

My sincere apologies.
I wasn't aware that they had changed the format so drastically 20+ years further on.
Clearly time and tide waits for no man!

stfc831968

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:36 pm 
Post subject:

Swindon played Oxford United away in the group stage as well as Brentford at home (in the 92-93 season)

I've got the group programme for the 71 tournament for Swindon.

I've also got the home programmes from the 69-70 season, and also for the final away at Napoli. This is probably an urban myth, but i'm sure i heard that the programe for the final was the first programme produced in Italy.

That seems strange but you never know, feel free to correct me on that.
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:19 pm 
Post subject:

MansfieldTerrier wrote:
And, just to kick this thread back to life once more, I have recently purchased this from eBay.

I thought that it was the Italian version of the common English guidebook to the tournament, but it turns out to be a Cagliari-centric booklet of just eight pages which features a textual history of the club, then photos of the stadium, players and then a calendar for all of the fixtures of the 1971 tournament for all of the twelve teams involved.

I'd hazard a guess and say that no-one else in here has one of these.
Got to be rarer than rocking horse manure! Clap

I have one that looks exactly like that, and I got it after being given the heads up by Ockleywood, on here, another Palace collector.

Was very hard to find, I only got mine by setting up a saved search on italian ebay

I don't recall mine having all the fixtures, but cannot look at mine to check right now as I'm away on holiday

It does have the four teams in the group listed though, which made me accept it as being the closest thing to a Cagliari issued programme for their games.

I seem to remember it had a lovely aerial view of their ground too, but don't recall mine being 12 pages, it was just a foldout of maybe 6.

Would love it n my collection what with Palace's participation in 'European competition being even rarer than this programme!!
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:22 pm 
Post subject:

93/94, Palace were in the 2nd tier and played Charlton and Millwall, and missed out on the two games in Italy which Charlton qualified for.

1973 version of the competition, Palace got to the Semi Final and played Newcastle. Another failed attempt at glory by Palace!!
MansfieldTerrier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:29 am 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:
I don't recall mine having all the fixtures, but cannot look at mine to check right now as I'm away on holiday

It does have the four teams in the group listed though, which made me accept it as being the closest thing to a Cagliari issued programme for their games.

I seem to remember it had a lovely aerial view of their ground too, but don't recall mine being 12 pages, it was just a foldout of maybe 6.

Full contents...

Then a 1/2-sized fold-out attached to the inside front cover...

Dorking

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:37 pm 
Post subject:

Hello again Mansfield Terrier.

Thanks for the scans

Back from hols, and checked mine, and it is exactly the same as yours - 8 pages, or 10 if you include the fold out bit on the first page. Lovely item, and as I said the closest anyone will get to a Cagliari v Palace (ie the game played in Italy) 'programme'.

I love my one, although sadly mine has writing on it - very neatly done, but still writing all the same Sad

I have also got the Inter Milan club magazine from then, which has an article, totally in Italian, which mentions the Anglo Italian Cup and the briefest of mentions of Crystal Palace.

Plus tickets for all Palace's games in the 1971 competition, home and away

Last edited by Dorking on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: