Football Programmes Centre

What would you regard as your best or luckiest bargain?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What would you regard as your best or luckiest bargain?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Rafehod



Joined: 25 Sep 2009
Posts: 364
Location: Wirral, Merseyside

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:44 am 
Post subject: What would you regard as your best or luckiest bargain?
Reply with quote

Mine would certainly be in the luckiest bracket as a few years ago I purchased a bundle of 50s/60s programmes from Football Sports auctions (I know the story!) along with a few other job lots.

When I finally received them in the post I was casually flicking through them as you do to find an England v Ireland from 1914 played at Ayresome park (with a centrefold no writing) tucked inside a rather ordinary 1968 England v Sweden programme.

Why it was there I dont know, possibly previous owner was protecting it or something....who knows.

The lot cost me around £80 all in and I managed to sell the programme for £1800........If only all lots were like that!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Wants List
WHU2711



Joined: 12 Nov 2009
Posts: 86

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:59 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Was Mr Lane hiding it for future use and forgot where he put it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thedoog10



Joined: 20 Feb 2018
Posts: 65

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:12 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Purchased a scrap book of eBay covering Wolves 67/68 season had a match report and pics on every game that season.
Vendor put it up for £50 I contacted him re quick sale said he would not take any less than £100 but has I was the sole bidder I eventually picked it up for £20 I would have gladly payed double that has it is my main topic of interest at the moment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator


Joined: 21 Nov 2008
Posts: 4063

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:12 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Have had numerous lucky finds down the years.

Stranraer vs Inverness Caledonian 1969-70 Scottish Cup was part of a large lot of 1960s programmes I'd bought in response to a newspaper advert. I put it in PM about 20 years back and was gobsmacked to get £130 for it.

Similarly, Oldham v Peterborough 1960-1 bought at an antique fair in Derby for £1 went for £100 plus.

Complete set of MUFC Treble home and away programmes, bought at 3 for £1 at a Derby car boot sale - he let me have the lot for £15 anyway. This was in the days when you still got £70 for the Spurs title game at OT, and £30 to £40 for a good number of the aways. Made over £400 on them - the best car boot sale I've ever had by a country mile.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cornwallwhite



Joined: 22 Jul 2010
Posts: 277

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:48 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Have picked up 3 copies of bury v Birmingham league cup semi final 1963. all from ebay and think dearest was £7.00, obviously they were unaware that they were semi final programmes. kept the best for my collection and sold the others for £50 each.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Wants List
Rafehod



Joined: 25 Sep 2009
Posts: 364
Location: Wirral, Merseyside

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:42 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

WHU2711 wrote:
Was Mr Lane hiding it for future use and forgot where he put it!


Ha Ha yes you could well be right especially considering how that story unfolded!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Wants List
goonerboy



Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Posts: 924

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:30 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

A few years ago a guy advertised in programme monthly that he had 60s programmes for sale. Among his items was a Newcastle home ticket for their QF in the Fairs Cup run. I put it on ebay thinking i would get £30-40 and someone messaged me with an offer of £50 . I was literally on the verge of accepting it and went into ebay to end the auction early but overnight the bidding had got to £50 so i thought best to let it run. Ended up at nearly £400 and it only cost me £1.50.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Wants List
Five and In



Joined: 15 Sep 2015
Posts: 907
Location: Dawlish, Devon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:49 pm 
Post subject: What would you regard as your best or luckiest bargain?
Reply with quote

A few years ago, I won a bid for a bundle of mainly 1950's programmes on Ebay for £80 and had to drive from Devon to the Midlands collect them.
When I got there it turned out that they were the collection of a recently passed away fellow, whose family just wanted them gone.
They told me there was a bag of signed bits in the boxes somewhere, as he used to go around the training grounds to track down players, but they neither knew, or cared, what they were. I got the impression that they were on the way to the tip if they had not sold.
When I got home I found signed items from Nat Lofthouse, Tommy Lawton, Danny Blanchflower and hundreds of other players of that period.
A lovely addition to my collection.

Another "fluke" had nothing to do with football, but I bought a load of John Lennon and Beatles items for about £20 at a boot sale.
In the bottom of the box was a paperback about the artist formerly known as Prince.
I bunged it on Ebay starting at a couple of quid and it sold for over £100 to somebody in America.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaming Pie



Joined: 26 Nov 2016
Posts: 355

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:21 pm 
Post subject: What would you regard as your best or luckiest bargain?
Reply with quote

Similar to Five, a rock music item. A local auction ( no internet at this place in those days) had what they claimed was a signed Queen vinyl LP. I turned up 10 minutes before the auction. Not being an expert on Queen signatures, l had only a few minutes to check it out before the auction kicked off. It was all a complete gamble, but decided to bid up to £100 and won it. When l got the vinyl home, l found out that the inside sleeve holding the disc was also signed. After a rock memorabilia expert checked it out, they said both sets of signature were genuine. Split into two separate lots, someone in America paid £2,500 for them!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cribsie



Joined: 29 Oct 2011
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:24 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

I was contacted by a chap from Devon a couple of years ago who'd seen my Reading FC site. He told me he was clearing out his late father's garage and had found a large framed photo of the Reading team from 1925-26, when they won the Division Three (South) title. His grandfather was in the photo as he was a director, but he offered to let me have it - and at no charge! Better still, he would even deliver it as he was visiting Reading, so it literally cost me nothing - there are definite advantages to having your own website!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
DySporting



Joined: 20 May 2015
Posts: 274

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:48 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Bought load of panini stickers quite cheaply at a local auction the next lot was a load of on the whole 1960s 70s & 80s WBA programmes - box nothing sorted through - they didnít sell the auctioneer looked at me and said a fiver and Iíll put them in your previous lot and I went with it. When I flicked through the bulk standard rubbish in there were 2 programmes from West Broms tour of Russia in 1957, games with Dinamo Tblisi and the Russian Army - safe to say I made a lot more than a fiver.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator


Joined: 21 Nov 2008
Posts: 4063

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:26 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

My favourite ever bargain was not football related at all.

About three years ago I visited our local house clearance auction rooms for the Monday afternoon viewing for the Tuesday morning sale. As often happens there were some bottles of spirits on sale - when folk were given bottles of spirits years ago they tended to keep them rather than drink them (I know!) Anyway, there was one lot that really did take my eye - three bottles of malt whisky, one half bottle of some blended whisky, and two bottles of grand vintage champagne cognac.

I took all the details, but realised the last two would be very collectable indeed. One was from 1969 and 1.5 litres, the other from 1954 (the year of my birth so a lovely symmetry) and had the kind of label that screamed class. The malts although over 30 years old weren't anything other than good malts of their day but still collectable.

Did some research when I got home on the grand vintage champagne cognacs and I could only find the 1954 one in a specialist online shop - the kind frequented by hedge fund managers and the like by the look of the prices. Anyway, this one was currently out of stock but had previously sold for £475. The 1969 1.5 litre one I couldn't find, but litre bottles were approximately £170, so about the £285 mark, and therefore £760 for the two. The malts were about £40 a bottle, so my calculation was that they would sell elsewhere at auction for £700 plus maybe.

I went to the auction determined to get them, and I did............for £28 plus 18% commission! Next time I was up in Glasgow I went to the specialist whisky auction house, and they suggested guide prices of £200 - £300 for the 1953 one, and £100 - £200 for the 1969 one as "come and get me" prices. Fair enough.

Anyway, they didn't sell on the day so on my next journey up to Glasgow I picked them up and took them home, and over the next month I drank the pair of them, hic! Am glad they didn't sell because it was like having angels dancing around your tongue - divine. The malts went fairly soon afterwards, and I reckon it's the best £35 I've ever spent. Love
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rafehod



Joined: 25 Sep 2009
Posts: 364
Location: Wirral, Merseyside

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:48 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

goonerboy wrote:
A few years ago a guy advertised in programme monthly that he had 60s programmes for sale. Among his items was a Newcastle home ticket for their QF in the Fairs Cup run. I put it on ebay thinking i would get £30-40 and someone messaged me with an offer of £50 . I was literally on the verge of accepting it and went into ebay to end the auction early but overnight the bidding had got to £50 so i thought best to let it run. Ended up at nearly £400 and it only cost me £1.50.


Now that is a bargain, I love stories like this as we all deserve a little luck from time to time. Ebay....love it or hate it can certainly surprise in a good way from time to time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Wants List
Rafehod



Joined: 25 Sep 2009
Posts: 364
Location: Wirral, Merseyside

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:58 pm 
Post subject: Re: What would you regard as your best or luckiest bargain?
Reply with quote

Flaming Pie wrote:
Similar to Five, a rock music item. A local auction ( no internet at this place in those days) had what they claimed was a signed Queen vinyl LP. I turned up 10 minutes before the auction. Not being an expert on Queen signatures, l had only a few minutes to check it out before the auction kicked off. It was all a complete gamble, but decided to bid up to £100 and won it. When l got the vinyl home, l found out that the inside sleeve holding the disc was also signed. After a rock memorabilia expert checked it out, they said both sets of signature were genuine. Split into two separate lots, someone in America paid £2,500 for them!


Brilliant find its fascinating reading these stories, In a similar tale although not quite as lucrative, I recently purchased the autograph book of George Formby's Niece Francesca from a local auction for £110 and among the signatures wre Eric Morecambe, Ken Dodd, Tommy Cooper etc but the main one was George Harrison with a brilliant personal message to Francesca stuck it Ebay as a B.I.N which was a little over the top as you do and within 2 days a chap in Manchester bought it for £950.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Wants List
Rafehod



Joined: 25 Sep 2009
Posts: 364
Location: Wirral, Merseyside

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:02 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Auchinleckian wrote:
My favourite ever bargain was not football related at all.

About three years ago I visited our local house clearance auction rooms for the Monday afternoon viewing for the Tuesday morning sale. As often happens there were some bottles of spirits on sale - when folk were given bottles of spirits years ago they tended to keep them rather than drink them (I know!) Anyway, there was one lot that really did take my eye - three bottles of malt whisky, one half bottle of some blended whisky, and two bottles of grand vintage champagne cognac.

I took all the details, but realised the last two would be very collectable indeed. One was from 1969 and 1.5 litres, the other from 1954 (the year of my birth so a lovely symmetry) and had the kind of label that screamed class. The malts although over 30 years old weren't anything other than good malts of their day but still collectable.

Did some research when I got home on the grand vintage champagne cognacs and I could only find the 1954 one in a specialist online shop - the kind frequented by hedge fund managers and the like by the look of the prices. Anyway, this one was currently out of stock but had previously sold for £475. The 1969 1.5 litre one I couldn't find, but litre bottles were approximately £170, so about the £285 mark, and therefore £760 for the two. The malts were about £40 a bottle, so my calculation was that they would sell elsewhere at auction for £700 plus maybe.

I went to the auction determined to get them, and I did............for £28 plus 18% commission! Next time I was up in Glasgow I went to the specialist whisky auction house, and they suggested guide prices of £200 - £300 for the 1953 one, and £100 - £200 for the 1969 one as "come and get me" prices. Fair enough.

Anyway, they didn't sell on the day so on my next journey up to Glasgow I picked them up and took them home, and over the next month I drank the pair of them, hic! Am glad they didn't sell because it was like having angels dancing around your tongue - divine. The malts went fairly soon afterwards, and I reckon it's the best £35 I've ever spent. Love


Love it John Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Wants List
Gwyn



Joined: 20 Oct 2014
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:55 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Mine would be meeting realred through the forum, he is a fellow Wrexham collector, and as I only caught this bug about four years ago he has helped me with loads of progs especially since Wrexham went into the conference as there away progs will be very hard to find in the future due to lower crowds meaning lower print runs. He has also become a good friend in the process so it is not always about money.

Gwyn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
goonerboy



Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Posts: 924

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:16 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Easy Easy Easy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Wants List
Stourbridge Lion



Joined: 15 Feb 2010
Posts: 102

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:46 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

I purchased a Wolves v Manchester United programme off EBay from the 52/3 season for a fiver the only details on the cover of these programmes are the season and first division no date,when I opened the programme up to confirm the date of the game (Oct) it said May it was actually for the Fa Youth Cup Final 2nd leg not the league game,don't see that one too often! Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Wants List
foxes1



Joined: 30 Nov 2008
Posts: 1151
Location: Leicester

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:09 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Bought a box of England homes from an auction house and looking through them was an England v Wales programme from 1966 (Played after England won the World Cup) signed by the World Cup winning team. Paid £35 for the box and sold the one programme at auction a few weeks later for £350.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
martino



Joined: 21 Jun 2011
Posts: 1716
Location: Beautiful downtown Goostrey, Cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:28 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

I have had a few nice finds over the years in sporting memorabilia but my biggest is not sport related.

A speculative bid on a large box of ephemera from a motor dealership from the 1930's. I had not viewed it but as no one else wanted it I got it for £10 plus fees.

On inspection the box contained loads of 1930's motor brochures, trade invoices / accounts from car manufacturers / parts firms and other goodies.

At that time I did not realise how fanatical Automobilia collectors were.

Current profit is nearing four figures (pounds that is!).

So the moral is, take a punt as the downside is very small.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
| More
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum