Football Programmes Centre

Red Star Belgrade v Manchester United European Cup 1958
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Red Star Belgrade v Manchester United European Cup 1958

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:06 pm 
Post subject: Red Star Belgrade v Manchester United European Cup 1958

Usually it is a ticket or a programme in the main that seems to turn up, sometimes an occasional newspaper[like the over priced ones on ebay at the moment] but very rarely there is an item such as this:

https://flic.kr/p/vhQw4L

Unlike the same item that appeared at auction some years ago which became involved in some furore due to the vendors relation having "removed" it from the wreckage at the time, this particular item was from a survivor and who passed it on to a friend some years later who eventually decided he wanted to exchange it for something else and has lost the other coffee pot and cup over time, that is where I obtained it from.

Wave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:40 am 
Post subject:

Amazing item, thanks for sharing! Smile
wandererpaul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:52 am 
Post subject:

Another interesting item!

What happened re the other one that went to auction? I don't know the story. Thanks again.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:34 pm 
Post subject:

wandererpaul wrote:
Another interesting item!

What happened re the other one that went to auction? I don't know the story. Thanks again.

It was sold and ended up in the Priory Collection owned by Nigel Wray.

I will scan an image from his book and post it tonight.

Wave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
wandererpaul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:43 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks. Smile

Was there more about how it was 'obtained' though? Is the piece 'tainted' in your eyes?
As it was either one of the players who died on that day or later, or it was someone who survived and didn't get back all that they should've. That's a little sad IMO. Should it have been sold? Surely it was theft?

Anyway, a nice museum item and good to read the back ground stories to these items on your website. Smile
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:52 pm 
Post subject: Nigel Wray Priory Collection

Here are some images from his book and in particular the image of the Coffee Tray as I promised the other day.

"Removed from the wreckage by the "British Air Accident Team" give it any title you want but one of them bloody well nicked it and it ended up in a relatives possession years later who flogged it

Apologies for not being able to straighten up the images but it certainly shows you everything you need to see on this matter.

wandererpaul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:19 pm 
Post subject:

Many thanks. Thumbs Up
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: