Football Programmes Centre

1930's RL in London
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
1930's RL in London
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Middlesaxon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:24 pm 
Post subject: 1930's RL in London

Does anyone have any Acton and Willesden or Streatham and Mitcham RL programmes ?
I was a regular attendee at Craven Cottage during the Fulham years and later at Chiswick.
I became very interested in the history of RL in London in the 30's and the natural progression would be to try and get at least one of each sides home issues if possible, although have never realistically had much chance of that !
CodeXIII

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:44 pm 
Post subject:

You have a PM
CodeXIII

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:53 pm 
Post subject:

Here's some London Highfield scans. They only played one season at White City in 1933/34.
If anyone knows why they changed cover design from the floodlit cover to the rugby player do let me know.

Streatham & Mitcham and Acton & Willesden home programmes are scarce! at least £150 each. Ive seen a few go for over £200.

London Highfield are not too bad £75 - £200 depending on condition and who the oppo are.

Hope that helps.
Super Hoopy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:11 pm 
Post subject:

Just been reading up on pre war Rugby League in London and as a collector of White City items (I blame QPR for this one) I was fascinated to read the history of London Highfield.

Also interested to see that Code XIII mentions that Acton & Willesden programmes go for around the £200 mark.
Bang on sir, DG (Dorian) Taylor's current catalogue lists a home fixture against Barrow in 1935/36 season for £200.
slightfold

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:23 pm 
Post subject:

I too have an interest in White City issues and have QPR v Bournemouth 5/9/31 being their first game in their first spell there. All the 62/3 issues are not too hard to find except the last home, Coventry, in that frozen season.

One of my other collections is floodlight football openings/early games and many thanks Code XIII for posting images. Previously I had never seen a cover.

It is amazing to think that the fuddy duddys at the FA resisted floodlighting until the mid 50's, mind you they were not too keen on shirt numbering or the World Cup once either. Non-league teams lead the way towards football accepting floodlighting, South Liverpool being the first after the War and Headington United being the front runner along with other Southern League teams. I am more than happy to share my floodlight knowledge if anyone has any queries.
Super Hoopy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:56 pm 
Post subject:

Nice one Slight fold!
I haven't got that Bournemouth one, been evading for a little while now. I do have 13 home programmes from that season though and am complete for 1961/62.

Many many years ago when my pet project was researching the history of QPR, I decided that I would visit the Grange museum on the Hanger Lane as it had a local newspaper archive which was FANTASTIC, when they sadly shut that down it moved to a library I think in Willesden.
I remember there was a scrapbook in their own archives of the London Highfield single season at the White City which included within it some programmes and lots of newspaper reports, wish I took more notice of it now...
CodeXIII

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:04 am 
Post subject:

Im away working but when i can I'll post some other scans of an advert for the London game v 'The Australians' and some other programme covers which changed mid season for some reason or other.

Any pre war London Rugby League team programme will fetch £75 +

my main interest was London Highfield which was a franchise to run alongside the dogs and speedway.
Then became Liverpool Stanley, Liverpool City and a number of other incarnations until being pit to sleep in 1997 as Prescot Panthers.
Super Hoopy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:50 pm 
Post subject:

Hello Code XIII
I've seen the poster for the Australua game but can't seem to upload it but would certainly be interested in scans of those programmes.

I find it interesting that League programmes can make decent money but that Union ones don't.
Often wondered if like football, Rugby League is seen as a working man's game and therefore the collecting of football memorabilia fits whereas Rugby Union is a sport that was frequented by the middle to upper class and they're not interested and more prone to leave all that stuff behind...???
Leigh Treymaine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:08 pm 
Post subject: RL in London

Have you ever tried doing a sale/exchange or whatever with a RU collector.
My few experiences have usually been unsatisfactory in general. They are a different breed altogether.
I know , a sweeping generalization, but that has been my experience with the followers of the inferior code.{In my opinion, of course, lest anyone be offended.}
slightfold

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:20 pm 
Post subject:

Whilst we are at the White City worth mentioning the 2 football matches which were authorised by the FA 'to test the general visibiiity of floodlight football,'
On the 1st programme cover it proudlly exclaims 'First Public Experimental Floodlight Match.' This was on 4//1/33 being the Reds v Blues players from various London League clubs but not alll were 1st team player.
The second match in 1933 was against Spurs. This was the first time ver that white balls had been used ! Earlier games often had the brown leather balls being dipped in a bucket of whitewash to improve visibility!!
Super Hoopy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:05 am 
Post subject:

Yes, I have that First Public Experiment match although I didn't know about the Spurs match, was that against QPR???

Strangely QPR had the opportunity to play a friendly fixture against First Vienna of Austria on Monday 30th Januay 1933 under the lights but chose to kick off at 3.00 instead. Interestingly on that day in history Hitler became Reich chancellor of Germany...

Reading up on Wikipedia, it states that the first ever floodlight rugby league match was Leeds v Wigan on 14 December 1932 at the White City Stadium which attracted 10,000 spectators and convinced the owners of the stadium that Floodlight Rugby League was the way to go hence London Highfield coming into existence.
Which is where we came in...!

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:42 am 
Post subject:

Fascinating thread.

Hoopy, is the "Rest of London" Team listed, please?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Fishy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:12 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Fascinating thread.

Hi Pete,

All the players were from London - Clarke (Palace is listed for The Reds). Millwall had 2 players on the Reds side as well.

I have this one in my collection but according to my records there was another one played at Luton on the same day - again London Clubs. Not sure where I got the info but apparently there were Lions players in that match. If anyone can confirm or deny that my info is correct I would much appreciate it.
48/9 Newport.
49/0 Walsall; Exeter.
50/1 Port Vale.
51/2 Port Vale 1/5.
52/3 Swindon.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:10 pm 
Post subject:

Fishy wrote:
Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Fascinating thread.

Hi Pete,

All the players were from London - Clarke (Palace is listed for The Reds). Millwall had 2 players on the Reds side as well.

I have this one in my collection but according to my records there was another one played at Luton on the same day - again London Clubs. Not sure where I got the info but apparently there were Lions players in that match. If anyone can confirm or deny that my info is correct I would much appreciate it.

Thanks Ian, if Clarke is listed at #10 or #11 then it's probably George "Nobby" Clarke who scored over 100 goals for Palace. I might have to look out for this one now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
nutfield priory

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:38 pm 
Post subject:

George Clarke is shown as outside right in the programme
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:12 pm 
Post subject:

Nobby on the right wing then. Cheers!
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:41 pm 
Post subject:

CodeXIII wrote:
You have a PM

You have a PM too! Wink
CodeXIII

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:34 pm 
Post subject:

a few images from White City RL and various London Highfield stuff

CodeXIII

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:38 pm 
Post subject:

I did own these a few years back then sold them on Crying or Very sad
CodeXIII

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:41 pm 
Post subject:

some stats

rare photo of London Highfield on their way North...
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: