Football Programmes Centre

Press photo - Wilbur Cush signing for someone
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Press photo - Wilbur Cush signing for someone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Irish
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:42 pm 
Post subject: Press photo - Wilbur Cush signing for someone

Below is a press photo just acquired, showing Wilbur "Billy" Cush signing something, with another gent watching and holding a fag.

Cush was born in Lurgan in 1928 and started his career at Glenavon, presumably soon after WW2. A wing half, he won 26 Northern Ireland caps and moved to Leeds United in November 1957. My first thought was that this photo could be signing for Leeds, but their manager at the time was Raich Carter and it's definitely not him, though it could be someone else there. After 87 league games and almost 3 years at Leeds, he joined Portadown.

All of which makes me wonder, could this be him signing for Glenavon or Portadown or indeed, Leeds? Who's the other fella? Does anyone have any idea, please?

It's a small (5x4.5") unstamped photo but in perfect nick. It's available should anyone fancy it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:41 pm 
Post subject:

Photo does in fact show Wilbur Cush right, fag in hand, with to the left probably Northern Ireland teammate Tommy Hamill of Linfield.

They were both in the 22 for the 1958 World Cup, but Hamill was one of 5 who were non-travelling reserves. So this occasion may have been another representative game (Hamill made 14 appearances for the Irish League, as Cush presumably did too in his Glenavon days).

So that may be where we'll have to leave it. But it may have Glenavon & Linfield interest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Irish All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: