Football Programmes Centre

The Quest for the 92
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Quest for the 92
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:54 pm 
Post subject:

Ground No 75 Vitality Stadium, Bournemouth

Saturday Morning, get up, shower, walk the furry hell hound, wake up Dumb and Dumber head off to the Jurassic coast. With the boys returning to their slumber, it was an unspectacular journey, but at the same time eye watering, as a couple of annoying nasal hairs were wrenched from their resting place somewhere on the A34. The boys stirred, as the air was perforated with a muffled blood curdling scream. With traffic heavy around Southampton, decided to cut through the New Forest, a haven for wildlife, a panoramic vista of greenery and trees strewn across the road, which led to snails pace around Lymington.

Finally, patience ran out, diverting down a lane that was just wide enough for the reliant to scrape down. Three go mad in Dorset, doing exactly the opposite to what Sat Nav Susan instructed. We finally circumnavigated the hold up and headed towards Christchurch, and our final destination. Bournemouth. Parked up in a leafy suburb, about a mile from the ground and headed off, arriving outside with an hour to go.
Its a premier League fixture at a League 2 ground.

Is this the Premier League, Dad???

Tickets were like gold dust, the only way to get any was to hide behind a tree and mug some of our senior citizen club near the cricket pitch next to the ground. Hopefully, the CCTV pictures were grainey, and ID will be impossible.

Security was tight around reception, there's a stand off between Bournemouths, 'Zimmerframe' gang or our own CBF (Carrier Bag Firm). Teamsheets are to die for and I waded in a bagged a couple. With 45 minutes to go, we were in.

The boys headed off to their seats and I headed to the bar. Its only right.

Nobody puts us in the corner...but they did at Bournemouth

United start well, and are the better side but with no end result and ultimately Bournemouth lead after an hour with a scruffy goal, but we kept plugging and in the end we scored an even scruffier goal two minutes from the end.

Celebrations were somewhat excessive, and the fact that we were able to withstand being hit from all sides, was more by good fortune rather than by design. Crowd surfing, Limbs, people sailing past head first 5 rows down, it was all happening. Sympathy goes out to the old boy who had to go to Southampton hospital with fractured pelvis and broken ribs.

Skipped out of the stadium and back to the Reliant, before heading off to Bournemouth's world famous beaches basking in the evening sunshine. Unfortunately they resembled the Sahara, during a sandstorm, the winds were up and the waves were crashing in. There was some bloke out at sea, waving frantically, so we waved back and then we lost sight of him.

Stop over in Lymington at the Swan PH, £9 for a San Miguel and two small cokes, and they say football's expensive.

Tickets: £30 each
Programmes: £3.50
Bottle of Heineken inside ground: £4

Next Stop: Stamford Bridge
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:20 pm 
Post subject:

Ground No 76, Stamford Bridge, Chelsea.

The boys had been looking forward to this one for years ever since the night they went past a sign for 'Stamford Bridge' and mistook the scene of a great 1-0 victory over Norway in 1066 in East Yorkshire, for a trip to Chelsea.

We were on our way to Middlesbrough that night. Laughing

Excitement had reached fever pitch, to the degree that they were actually awake at 8am in the morning Surprised

Headed to every northern fan's spiritual home when visiting the Capital. Stanmore. No idea with tickets, but the station guard came to our aid. 'Fulham Broadway?'. 'Yes' I replied. I was impressed. Obviously we weren't the only numpties to look confused that morning.

A course a nature called whilst awaiting our carriage. This proved to be a mistake, if there's ever an outbreak of diphtheria in North West London, the platform toilets at Stanmore will probably be the epicentre. I could hardly see, when I managed to escape, it was like fighting the way through a mustard gas attack, and no.....it had nothing to do with me Neutral

Arrived at the Bridge way too early, about 1:30pm, there's already a healthy crowd milling around. Sat down, and watched the world go past for 40 minutes. There was Dave Bassett and Tony Currie, Mike Hollins from the BBC, plenty of stone island shirts and Lacoste shorts and 10,000 Japanese tourists with their Canons and Nikons and half and half scarves. So this was the Chelsea hardcore.

Two more tourists

The staff were very accommodating, team sheets procured, which was good, and after being searched a number of times we were in with 45 minutes to kick off. We're in the Upper tier with a pretty good view.

The game's a cracker, the atmosphere electric. When we score at the start of the second half we're covered in something wet. It was beer,...well I hope it was, and its always nice when you come back from 2-0 down to snatch a draw in the last minute. Well done the pub team from League 1.

'You're just a s*** Derby County rings out at the end.'. It wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but we enjoyed it.

No problems after the game, apart from being savaged by Stamford the Lion.

Back to Westminster, and out of the station to St Stephens Tavern, in the shadow of Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, we've walked into the aftermath of some prorogation demonstration. There's a heady mix of University professors, teachers and post degree students who don't look like they've had a wash for weeks draped in European flags. Finally, somebody was getting a bashing, and it was Boris There's an American bloke declaring that we should all link hands and barricade every street in central London, then they'd have to listen. I'd like to think he was protesting about the price of a pint but I think not. I'd heard enough, finished my Amstel and shouted over to the boys 'Come on, Lets Leave'. Maybe I could have chosen the words a little more carefully. Razz

How Much?????????

Back to the tube, back to civilisation of 'up North'. Great day out.
Arrive back at 10:30pm.

Tickets: £77 (1 x £30, 2 x £23.50)
Programme: £3.50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
James73

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:21 am 
Post subject:

I love these updates.

Welcome to the PL and looking forward to your match at Spurs Very Happy
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:25 pm 
Post subject:

You'll enjoy Spurs. If you thought security at Chelsea was heavy, at Spurs they have airport style full-body metal scanners. It's a confused place as it's like a modern spaceship has landed on a football pitch, yet it has terrace style standing rails at the same time.
If you want to drink a pint in peace in the ground, there is a well hidden upstairs concourse in the away section, which few people discover.
Oh and they really won't let you bring in a bag, unless it's literally miniscule
Paul Johnson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:06 pm 
Post subject:

love the updates. Just out of curiosity which grounds do you have left to do?
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:07 pm 
Post subject:

Many thanks for the comments.

What we have noticed is that is easier to get tickets for Colchester on a Tuesday night in February in League 1 than it is to get Premier League tickets. Surprised
tufcprogs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:04 pm 
Post subject:

Love these too. Easy
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:55 am 
Post subject:

ok a quick recalculation, of the current 92 (including Bury) these are the ones the boys have left to do:

Macca has to do Everton, Dan has to do Brentford (So they are actually on 75 each currently)

That leaves 16 that neither has been to:

Premier League
Arsenal
Crystal Palace
Norwich City
Southampton
Spurs
Watford
West Ham United
Championship
Luton Town
Stoke City
League 1
Portsmouth
Wimbledon
League 2
Cheltenham Town
Exeter City
Newport County
Plymouth Argyle
Salford City
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:17 pm 
Post subject:

At Palace, try and get in the front 15 rows or so. It's a bloody awful away end to be honest.

I would have thought with all the Sheffield United away games you've been to, you should be guaranteed away tickets for all the games this season.

Palace have a loyalty points system for away games so that those who have the most points get to buy first, and also an away season ticket subscription, which guarantees a ticket every game as long as you commit to 17,18 or all 19 aways. I thought most clubs would have some sort of similar scheme so that those who go all the time get looked after?
PhilWBA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:20 pm 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:
At Palace, try and get in the front 15 rows or so. It's a bloody awful away end to be honest.

I would have thought with all the Sheffield United away games you've been to, you should be guaranteed away tickets for all the games this season.

Palace have a loyalty points system for away games so that those who have the most points get to buy first, and also an away season ticket subscription, which guarantees a ticket every game as long as you commit to 17,18 or all 19 aways. I thought most clubs would have some sort of similar scheme so that those who go all the time get looked after?

Palace is a nightmare, as you say you need to be in the bottom half and no further back than the middle, wasn't much better when we were up the other end near the ultras or whatever they're called.

We have an away season ticket at the Baggies, costs £150 a season (possibly £140 can't remember as didn't bother this season) and you get £5 off the ticket price for each game so club make around £50 a year "admin fee"
Paul Johnson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:26 pm 
Post subject:

ive got to redo spurs to keep the 92 going. also done 19 of the 24 in the National League as well.
Brentford, Wimbledon and I think York city move into new grounds next season so more re-visits
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:22 am 
Post subject: The Quest for the 92

sharrowblade wrote:
ok a quick recalculation, of the current 92 (including Bury) these are the ones the boys have left to do:

Macca has to do Everton, Dan has to do Brentford (So they are actually on 75 each currently)

Premier League
Arsenal
Crystal Palace
Norwich City
Southampton
Spurs
Watford
West Ham United
Championship
Luton Town
Stoke City
League 1
Portsmouth
Wimbledon
League 2
Cheltenham Town
Exeter City
Newport County
Plymouth Argyle
Salford City

Love these stories Sharrow, as I'm sure we all do on here.

It's great that you're doing it with your kids too.
I started to do the same with my son many years ago.......then he defected and became a glory hunting Gooner!
I still think that trip to Blackburn on a wet. cold school night finished him with North London's finest Confused
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:51 pm 
Post subject: Re: The Quest for the 92

Five and In wrote:
sharrowblade wrote:

Premier League
Arsenal
Crystal Palace
Norwich City
Southampton
Spurs
Watford
West Ham United
Championship
Luton Town
Stoke City
League 1
Portsmouth
Wimbledon
League 2
Cheltenham Town
Exeter City
Newport County
Plymouth Argyle
Salford City

Love these stories Sharrow, as I'm sure we all do on here.

It's great that you're doing it with your kids too.
I started to do the same with my son many years ago.......then he defected and became a glory hunting Gooner!
I still think that trip to Blackburn on a wet. cold school night finished him with North London's finest Confused

Sure do. I had visions of doing all 92 once, but life got in the way. Life as in cricket, woman, work - in that order. Keep it up and if I can help when you come to Selhurst Park, please let me know.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:20 pm 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:

Its not that simple as to seating, the clubs aren't giving us a choice. They dictate whether on that day they're selling that block or that block. Upper or lower tier, appears to change every couple of hours. Its a case of that block is the only one available now, take it or leave it.

United do have a loyality points system that began about 13 years ago, and it has become quite the topic of conversation this season due to demand far outweighing supply.

I took the decision a few years ago to cease having a season ticket and not to go to 1st team away games without the boys.
Because one of my lads was an Academy player they supplied us with free tickets.

However after about three years of this I'd had enough of this, he was a ball boy, at home games and I'd begun to dislike the feeling of having to queue up and wait for the handouts before each home game, so I decided to re-purchase three season tickets in a part of the ground that previously you couldn't and had a great view. Yes it was costing me £500 a season more but it felt better. but I never even considered the knock on effect it would have to us with relation to loyalty points in the future and especially whilst we were knocking around the lower echelons of League 1. The premier League wasn't taken into consideration because that was far away in never never land.

There was never a problem getting a ticket for the likes of Rochdale, Tranmere etc etc

We'll be alright for most games it just depends on the away allocation.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:23 pm 
Post subject:

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to read them. Most kind.
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:00 am 
Post subject:

We read them because we enjoy them!

Regards away tickets, the first season Palace were in the Prem (this time around) - season 2013/14 - away tickets were sold to Palace in order of loyalty points accrued. However there was a lot of complaints relating to the games themselves, because at sold out away games, three quarters want to stand, but about a quarter want to (or need to) sit - old people, people with kids, people with problems standing, and some who just don't see why they should have to stand when they paid to sit.

We never had those problems very often before the Premier League, because the away ends had more than enough space for everyone to sort themselves out - generally sitters at the front, standers behind.

Part of the problem, as you allude to, is that the host club specify the block order that tickets are sold in.

Now, if you are Liverpool or Man United, you know that every single away ticket will be sold, so those clubs can sell their tickets in any order they want.

However with Palace, there is an element of 'holding back'. Because when we go to say Man City away, whilst we might be entitled to 3,000 seats, in reality we are only going to sell 1000 if we are on a bad run, probably 1500, but never more than 2000. So to avoid Palace having to pay for 1000+ unsold seats, we have to sell the tickets in the order the home club says, so that the home club has the option to move the segregation across and sell the unsold blocks to their own fans.

What was initially happening was that the first fans to buy got the 'worst block' - usually low down by the corner flag. And those who qualified for tickets last and bought the last seats available got the best blocks!

Anyway, as I say, it improved at Palace, as eventually the box office at least used their brain and sold tickets where people wanted, so you could then ask for front, middle or back

And now, our away season ticket holders (only 200 of us) literaly get first pick a couple of days ahead of everyone else, and can chose exact seats, so above stairwells, front row of upper tiers, end of aisle, whatever you want.

Palace are still a bit 'conservative' and initially only let the first to buy choose from a couple of blocks, but at least there is precise choice. And if Palace are confident they will sell a large proportion of the allocation, then they let fans choose exact seats in the Upper Tier at Chelsea (for example) straight away.

If you know the grounds and away ends well, then it works really well as you can chose exact seats 'strategically' in terms of getting the best views
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:47 pm 
Post subject:

Ground 76 (for Macca only), Goodison Park, Everton

Played the Samaritan Saturday morning, an old school mate and his 8 year old (Bobby) had missed the coach and therefore we squeezed two more into the reliant and headed for Scouseland.

Departure time 10:15am. Tempted to hit the Red Lion at Disley, but it was a minute past 11, a tad too early to be hitting the ale house. Stopped off at the services at Warrington, for lunch. The sky was clear, quite remarkable as this was Lancashire and I treated to Bobby to a packet of Panini Cards. He was made up, especially as he managed to get Dean Henderson. I'd already given him Billy Sharp before we set off. Bobster is adamant and makes no secret that he thinks United will win 2-0, this had been a recurrent theme all morning.

I tried to explain and be rational 'Alas my little friend, that's not the way the world works'. It was falling on deaf ears. It was going to be 2-0 and that was the end of it.
Arrived at Walton Road sports centre around 1, and was greeted by a young lady on the gate, clearly she was from the ghettos of Lodz or Gdansk. Bobby's in the back 'What does the Scottish Lady want?'.

Its a casual 15 minute stroll to the ground, we were basking in the afternoon sunshine, past avenues of terraced houses that appeared to stretch forever with the naked eye.

Goodison, she's beginning to show her age, but there's something about her that's imminently likeable.

Macca and Bobster are wearing colours, but we are met with nothing but warmth from the home supporters as we circumnavigate the ground. In truth, the outside is a carbuncle of blue cladding, although the Church on the corner retains its charm. A pint in the afternoon sunshine at the Fan zone is most welcome, and the atmosphere is friendly throughout. Team-sheets acquired with difficulty, but achieved thanks to the lads on the door of the media reception.

Damn, I give you a lift and you drink my pint!

Around to the away end, where the police Cocker Spaniel has taken a liking to me, it won't leave me alone and is trying to hump my leg. I'm separated from the lads and exiled to one side.
There's a policeman in waiting, with an expression that suggesting that the famous scouse humour was sadly missing. 'Hello Sir we have reason to believe you may be attempting to take pyrotechnics into the ground. Can we have your name please, it did cross my mind to confess it was Mr Fawkes, but something told me that this would be a foolish course of action. I'm searched three times, the lads found it highly amusing, and said I had 'one of them faces'.

Through the turnstiles and into the concourse of chaos. Some described it as Old school, some as a proper ground, and some were leaning towards a 'What a S***hole'.

Wooden seats wooden floor, toilets that were no bigger than a garden shed, giant pillars obstructing views, one viable exit, what more could the modern day punter want. There's no leg room between rows, and unfortunately we find ourselves amongst some revered Pie munchers. The bloke behind has a beer belly so big that every time he moved I was nearly knocked into the row in front, where the lads wouldn't have been out of a place in the front row of an All blacks Scrum. Talk about global warming it was that warm in the stands that I lost 2 kilos in weight, didn't seem to effect the pie munchers tho. But for all that, the corner where we were housed did lend itself to a great atmosphere.

United are poor, they rarely retained possession and as the first half progressed we get deeper and deeper. Shortly before half time a rare foray into the opposition's half result in a corner, from which the ball finds its way into the net. Dancing in the aisle, kissing strangers and all around merriment is cut short as VAR is having a look. Its confirmed as a goal and we can celebrate again, although I'm not tonging that fat bloke behind me again.

Half time comes I forego a trip to the concourse as its a tidal mass of bodies swaying one way and then the other.
The second half follows a familiar pattern, but we are resilant, and dogged. Everton throw striker after striker on, but they'd run out of ideas, it felt desperate and we break, we score and although we'd played better in every other game this season, we win.

On return to the sports centre, its deserted apart from an Asian family having a picnic in the car park. I think a goat may have been getting sacrificed around the back somewhere.

The ball makes an appearance, I usually have several in the Reliant and we head off to the Sports centre's 3G for an hour.

Away win, footy in the evening sunshine, small 8 year old reminding me of the score...what's not to like. Smile

Arrival home: 8:45pm
Programme £3.50
Tickets: £70 (1 x £30, 2 x £20)

Next Stop: Vicarage Road.
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:16 pm 
Post subject:

Great report, Thumbs Up
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:55 pm 
Post subject:

Ground No 77, Watford FC, Vicarage Road. (Macca 77, Dan 76)

An unremarkable trip down the M1 apart from conclusive proof that there are many female drivers who have yet to discover side mirrors.
In fact I was so bored that I diverted down the M40 just for the hell of it.
Arrived Watford around 1, and then preceded to circumnavigate the ring road for half an hour before parking in the Intu shopping centre car park, the Reliant only just made it under the ceiling. It was tighter than a Yorkshire man’s wallet.
Downstairs in the Mall, there's a wall with golden stars, its Hertfordshire's answer to Hollywood... they are holding auditions for Watford’s got talent, there’s about a dozen in the queue, we stand and stare in awe at their Hall of Fame, Elton, Vinny Jones, Bradley Walsh and errrr….Ginger spice.
It’s a 10 minute walk to Yellow Brick Road, and we actually arrive at the away end for once.

The outside façade has a 70s Mecca Bingo hall look about it.

A couple of thicko's, 22

There’s fervent activity outside the club shop, a crowd has gathered near the Turnip Head’s statue and there’s a mass of middle aged men clutching folders hell bent on moving aside troublemakers intent on causing mayhem…you know the type…. Toddlers.
For this was the Panini Table. Watford cards for sale.

‘Can I have Roberto Pereyra please’ asks little Johnny, moments before Big John smashes him in the face with his folder. Its bad form and totally unforgiveable…..I wish I had known, I would have brought my folder..
Team-sheets acquired from the press office, so all good there and into the ground with 40 minutes to go, seats found, left the lads, for a pint. It was a good plan but with one fatal flaw, there’s no alcohol on sale inside the ground.

Seats are good, plenty of foot room. It’s neat and compact inside, but the atmosphere mirrored the game, and was strangely flat. We were second best and wouldn’t have complained if we had come away empty handed, but we’ll take the point.
Lovely evening for a stroll back into the city centre, into Hollywood Bowl for a pint and an improvised game of shove ha’penny.

Totally shocked at the car park prices. £4 for 5 hours. Throw in a descent from the roof top which rivalled a scene from the Italian Job meets the Need for Speed (full left lock for Seven storeys) and its been another quality day.

Tickets £40 (1 x £30, 2 x £5)
Programme: £3.50
Parking: £4

Next stop: West Ham
bigearl79

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:44 pm 
Post subject:

Ground number 74 yesterday for our first ever visit to Salford City. A very simple ground, which suits them I'm sure. I appreciate they are a club that have come from nowhere, but I do hope they learn as they progress. When our coaches pulled up outside the ground, some of us like to get a programme and put it back to keep it clean. No sellers outside the ground anywhere, asked a volunteer if we could get a programme and was told bylaws do not allow them to sell programmes outside the ground. Not allowed to go to the club shop either as they don't allow away fans in there. The volunteer did kindly offer to fetch us some programmes though, but what a strange set up I felt, as it's something I've never come across before. I hope they realize they are missing out on extra income as I know of several or our fan's who like to buy a souvenir from each ground they visit. It will be interesting to see if they have made any changes, if we visit them again in the future. Next new ground for myself will be Stevenage at the end of March, unless we have a nice cup draw somewhere.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 24 of 27

Jump to: