Football Programmes Centre

Luigi Riva RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Luigi Riva RIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:53 pm 
Post subject: Luigi Riva RIP

I was sad to read of the passing of Luigi "Gigi" Riva on 22nd Jan due to a heart attack, but also pleased he turned up in my paper's obituaries this week - a copy of that is attached. He was 79.

His career was mainly at Cagliari, the Sardinian city that he said made him as a man and a footballer. He scored over 200 goals for them and while he was at his best, got them promoted to Serie A and won them the league title in 1969/70. A year later he had the honour of playing for his team in the Anglo-Italian Cup at Selhurst Park, where this then 15-year-old was thrilled to watch one of the greats of Italian football in action. I've attached a photo from this unlikely match-up - John Jackson and David Payne deal with a cross into the box while Riva is ready for any slip-ups. That game was won 1-0 by Palace thanks to a Bobby Tambling right-footed screamer into the top corner past Italy keeper Enrico Albertosi.

Riva is still Italy's leading goal-scorer with 35 goals from 42 caps over 7 years, 1965-72, including a starring role in the wonderful 1970 World Cup when Italy were runners-up, and the Italian side that won the 1968 European Champs.

Later he coached Cagliari and his national team, including at the 2006 World Cup, with some success. His No 11 shirt has been "retired" by Cagliari.

A true great of Italian football - RIP Gigi.

(Right click & upload into new page)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: