Football Programmes Centre

Liverpool FC and Energy Drinks
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Liverpool FC and Energy Drinks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes Offered for Sale or Swap
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:21 pm 
Post subject: Liverpool FC and Energy Drinks

I thought energy drinks were a new phenomenon! This is an interesting photo of Liverpool FC , early 1970s, knocking back Dynamo energy drinks . So now we know the secret of their success Shocked Don’t mention Everton and the pep pills ( allegedly) early 1960 Laughing
Driver8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:30 pm 
Post subject:

Tommy Smith doesn't look best pleased with his drink!
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:36 am 

Driver8, Tommy’s not in the picture. That’s Charles Bronson on a visit to Liverpool I don’t think he was ever happy. Bill Shankly once told Tommy that he was the only person he had ever known who could cause a riot in a graveyard! Very Happy
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:26 pm 
Post subject:

I remember at a meeting once with the head Physio/sports scientist of England's national Football team and he was aked if any of the energy drinks actually gave an advantage in performance.

His reply, was that they had tested the top 50 energy drinks on the market and only one had resulted in a slight improvement in performance compared to standard water.

And that was Gatorade.

Energy drinks were always popular in Asia and America in the 70s, but they didn't appear here until the late 80s.

I suspect they became popular here due to the rave scene more than performing enhancing sport activities
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:06 pm 

Looking through some of the old sports magazines there was always adverts for tonic drinks and energy pills. Although totally different from the energy drinks, the use of performance enhancing drugs seems to have also been a feature of football throughout the world for many years . Pre-war Wolves and their manager (Major Buckley ) getting his team to be injected with monkey glands is interesting reading. Everton early 1960s and Purple Hearts, inter Milan 1960s, Germany World Cup team 1954 etc . I suppose a lot of young players didn’t really know what substances they were being advised to take and just took them. It makes you wonder just how many top teams throughout the years were on the pep pills and other substances Cool
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes Offered for Sale or Swap All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: