Football Programmes Centre

Manchester United the First English Club in Europe
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Manchester United the First English Club in Europe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:24 pm 
Post subject: Manchester United the First English Club in Europe

Yes we are out of Europe this season with a set of pathetic displays having led in 4 of the games and losing them all-no whinging from me about injuries, bad decisions, poor substitutions, referee's and a coach who appears to be devoid of ideas both on and off the pitch.

So as the headline says Manchester United entered Europe in 1956 they were not frightened off by the bullying Blazers at the FA or the Football League, this is my memorabilia tribute to that innaugral Season which opened the way for everyone else to join in over the years.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjeAJEPs click on the link then it will all open up.

Thanks for Viewing Smile

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Five and In

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:40 am 

Some nice items and images there Leslie.

I really liked the photos of the keeper floundering around on a beach in Bilbao Laughing
and before anybody says it..."No. Today's players wouldn't know what had hit them if they had to play on pitches like that.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:29 pm 

Five, it looks like United were used to training on pitches just like that . Don’t know where the cover photo on this book was taken( Leslie will know) but it’s a bog. Mind you , one of my grandkids plays for probably the best team in his age group on The Wirral and the pitch they have to play their home games on is basically like a churned up field !
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:20 am 

It's a few years ago now Pie, but I coached at youth level for seventeen years and know all about those kinds of bog pitches the kids have to play on.

More than once, I had to sweep water out of the goalmouths with a yard broom so that the game could go ahead Smile and like your grandson's team, my sides were among the best in the area.

Grassroots football eh? Confused
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:57 am 
Post subject: Manchester United the First English team in Europe

Five, they sometimes play further afield against teams in wealthier areas like Cheshire and even the poorer areas in North Wales. Most of them have got all weather pitches and the Welsh teams have usually got a nice little stadium. I suppose it’s all political and what they want to put money into.The teams in Wales are usually in the Welsh League and they have a good set up . I suppose if they can learn to play on crap pitches, like that fantastic Busby Babes team, they can play on any surface! It must be a real shock when kids are released by the pro academies after years of playing on a a nice surface and then have to start playing on a bog Shocked
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: