Football Programmes Centre

Sporting Gold today (Manchester United)
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sporting Gold today (Manchester United)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colchestersid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:11 pm 
Post subject: Sporting Gold today (Manchester United)

Some extraordinary prices fetched today including £7,150 (including commission) for a 1950s FA Youth Cup single sheet at the Cliff and multiple 1930s homes fetching £4,000+ each
ndg1860

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:34 pm 
Post subject: Re: Sporting Gold today (Manchester United)

colchestersid wrote:
Some extraordinary prices fetched today including £7,150 (including commission) for a 1950s FA Youth Cup single sheet at the Cliff and multiple 1930s homes fetching £4,000+ each

Fully agree. What is more is that many of the overbidders have no idea as to the prices and have done almost zero research. Just on the Man Utd v QPR postponed two issues. The 78/79 went for £180 (or £225 with commission) when it rarely fetches £150 if that on eBay (I got mine below £100). The 68/69 went for £850 (or £1,060 with commission) when Dave Allen had this unsold for £1,000 on eBay. Some items sold for incredibly stupid prices. Either there are numerous naive punters out there or the market is improving for our collections and they are possibly worth a bit more than we think.
Raxfactor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:46 am 
Post subject:

Blimey just checked the results, my Utd collection spans the years between 1957 - 1967
some of the prices paid for Hannover 96 in 1965 £750, Hamburg 1959 Lipphardts version £320 and Berlin X1 in 1957 £750, Blackburn pp 1959 £150 (more reasonable by comparison), plus commission are just insane.
These are just some which caught my eye glancing through.
https://myalbum.com/folder/Ra3kbhhnNbXH/?invite=562adfbf-6e67-4718-aab7-72e830745fd3
Blackjack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:08 pm 
Post subject:

i had 2 maximum bids on 2 Swansea items which i didnt win due to having a limit on what I'll spend and i also found myself watching some of the bidding ............. when it came to the Man Utd programmes i was absolutely gobsmacked on some of the prices too ....... i presuming from others on this thread that the prices were extortionate or is that the going rate for those programmmes? I'm just asking out of interest really
An Essex Hatter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:25 pm 
Post subject:

One lot that amazed me was the Beds Youth v Man Utd Youth (played at Luton Town) 1955. On Thursday at Mullock Jones a mint copy sold for £150 but on Friday at Sportingold a slightly tatty copy went for £550.

I thought £150 was a bit toppy but £550, wow!!!!

I did watch the auction for a bit, just prior to some Luton items there were string of Man Utd items from late 1920s, they all sold to one paddle number for £3,000ish. Out of interest how do auction houses manage credit control or buyer credibility to pay? I realise you don't get the item if you don't pay but the seller may have lost a high under-bidder if you re-auction at a later date, plus obviously the auction house misses out on a load of commission.
colchestersid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:24 am 
Post subject:

The 163 top sale prices for Manchester United programmes on Friday added up to £269,772 (including 24% commission) - an average of £1650 each

Shocked
ndnewsham

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:26 pm 
Post subject:

Was there any reason for these prices. Is it a one off or a rediscovering of the hobby?
colchestersid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:38 am 
Post subject:

ndnewsham wrote:
Was there any reason for these prices. Is it a one off or a rediscovering of the hobby?

I don't think you can read too much in to the prices paid last week - a couple of Manchester United collectors with very deep pockets going hammer and tongs doesn't have much bearing on the rest of the hobby
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: