Football Programmes Centre

Hi im new here and inherited my grandads collection
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hi im new here and inherited my grandads collection
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daviton

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:51 pm 
Post subject: Hi im new here and inherited my grandads collection

hey guys i have inherited my grandads collection a lot with tickets eg

chester vs newcastle FA cup third round 22nd jan 1966
fairs cup final first leg Leeds vs ferencvaros 7th august 1966
dunfermline athletic vs olmpiakos du piree Eucwc nov 13 1968 sec round first leg
european championship semi final man utd vs real madrid april 24th 1968

euro champions cup quarter final first leg man utd vs gornik zabrze feb 28th 1968

euro fairs cup newcastle vs inter milan first round second leg 3oth sept 1970
euro fairs cup newcastle vs rsc anderlecht quarter final second leg 18th march 1970

euro fairs cup newcastle vs pecsi dozsa second round FL 21 oct 1970

euro fairs cup newcastle vs fc porto second round second leg 2oth november 1969

thats just a few there is many many more all the above have tickets with them help on prices would be great guys/
Darren Bryant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:55 pm 
Post subject: Sunderland programmes

Hi

I would be interested in any Sunderland programmes in the collection, home or away.

Regards

Darren
Daviton

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:49 pm 
Post subject: theres loads

there is loads of sunderland ones as im from teesside any in particular you are looking for? not many sunderland ones with tickets though unfortunatley
apart from sunderland vs newcastle league 2 24th april 1962
Driver8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:35 pm 
Post subject:

For the Newcastle late 60's / early 70's ones the programmes themselves are only worth two to three pounds. If they have tickets then these are probably valued at £50+. I believe Newcastle Euro tickets for this period would have been surrendered upon entry at the turnstiles and consequently not many turn up at auction or on e-bay.
Daviton

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:44 pm 
Post subject:

Driver8 wrote:
For the Newcastle late 60's / early 70's ones the programmes themselves are only worth two to three pounds. If they have tickets then these are probably valued at £50+. I believe Newcastle Euro tickets for this period would have been surrendered upon entry at the turnstiles and consequently not many turn up at auction or on e-bay.

all of the above have tickets with them
TheMusic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:44 pm 
Post subject:

Out of interest, how accurate would we say the advice hereunder is?

1. The vast majority of general league programmes from 1960 onwards are worth a pound or less. This is similar (say £1-5) for most big match programmes since then, certainly for home international matches (except World Cups). This is because there were huge print runs for these games and people tended to keep the programmes they bought at memorable games. Programmes from pre-1960 begin to be worth more, especially from friendly matches or postponed games or ones with low attendances.

2. In general these days, a match ticket is worth more than the programme from the same match. Again there are notable exceptions.

3. General prices for tickets are as follows: Post-1980 £1-2, 1970-1979 £2-4, 1960-1970 £4-£10, pre-1960 £10 upwards. This will be the general rule for league, Cup and friendly & testimonial matches in the UK but there are exceptions, for example, the Arsenal and Spurs double seasons, or certain Chelsea or Manchester United tickets, or from matches where the attendance was very low.

4) Pre-1970 FA Cup final tickets have fairly standard prices from £5-10 in the 1960s going back to £30-£40 just after the war. Pre-Wembley League final or Charity Shield tickets are rarer though and are worth more than FA Cup final tickets of the same era.

5) England international home tickets - especially from Wembley games - are easy to get a hold of and have a value of just a couple of pounds. Post-war England away match tickets are much harder to find though and can be worth up to £100 each or in a few certain cases even more.

6) Club European matches are more collectable than league tickets and are worth more, starting at £5-10 each pre 1975 and sometimes up to £50-£70, especially matches abroad and non-all-ticket matches and in certain cases even more, into three figures. Some finals can be worth a lot too, especially from away matches.
Driver8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:17 pm 
Post subject:

Although Newcastle's 1969 Fairs Cup Final programme / ticket wasn't mentioned the attached link may be of help / interest

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/nufc-fairs-cup-ticket-auctioned-1399731
hibernian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:03 am 
Post subject:

The ticket for the Dunfermline European game is worth around £100 on its own !
colchestersid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:06 am 
Post subject:

Agreed with above replies - almost all programmes back to the 1960s will be no more than £1 but in reality you may struggle to find buyers

Tickets on the other hand may well have more value - especially any Newcastle tickets for European games which I believe can be very rare

My best advice would be to keep and enjoy the programmes - they can be a lovely way to connect to your late Grandad - and to look at selling the tickets which may have some financial value
TheMusic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:59 am 
Post subject:

@Driver8, that's very interesting, thank you. Although I'd regard that style of ticket as one of the hardest to find in general (asthey had to be given up on entry, I believe), I can't get my head around any ticket going for that much - I don't think I've ever seen that price (+ commission) reached for any other European ticket (granted, I don't think there's a database of prices and I'm not always a dedicated follower of auctions and eBay) and wonder whether it was a one-off from a decade ago or would it go stratospheric again if it would come up!

The style is interesting too - I have or have seen 4 different styles of Newcastle ticket from earlier rounds that year and the two years hence (none bought for more than 60-70 each, btw) and the one in your link is by far the most detailed and substantial - others don't even have dates or teams displayed, just either the date or the competition round.

@hibernian, you've much more experience of Scottish teams' memorabilia than I have (and probably most others in the hobby). I'd not have imagined Dunfermline tickets would be that collectable but I suppose it just goes to show that often the teams you'd think might be more valuable simply aren't and vice versa. Would any English team's home tickets from the 60s regularly reach three figures (not finals)? Maybe the odd Man Utd or Liverpool ticket? I'd still suggest most others would be up to £50-70 max.

As an aside, I've advised the owner that if the aim is to reach top, top dollar with no time pressure rather than 'just' a substantial and acceptable amount now, then eBay would probably reach the most people across the hobby at home and abroad and therefore reach the highest possible prices. Is this fair enough, or would others have better suggestions, e.g. sports or non-sports auction houses, Facebook groups... etc?
Daviton

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:31 pm 
Post subject:

Driver8 wrote:
Although Newcastle's 1969 Fairs Cup Final programme / ticket wasn't mentioned the attached link may be of help / interest

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/nufc-fairs-cup-ticket-auctioned-1399731

Thank you for the info i actually do have that one.
Pablo2019

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:34 pm 
Post subject: Re: Hi im new here and inherited my grandads collection

Daviton wrote:
hey guys i have inherited my grandads collection a lot with tickets eg

chester vs newcastle FA cup third round 22nd jan 1966
fairs cup final first leg Leeds vs ferencvaros 7th august 1966
dunfermline athletic vs olmpiakos du piree Eucwc nov 13 1968 sec round first leg
european championship semi final man utd vs real madrid april 24th 1968

euro champions cup quarter final first leg man utd vs gornik zabrze feb 28th 1968

euro fairs cup newcastle vs inter milan first round second leg 3oth sept 1970
euro fairs cup newcastle vs rsc anderlecht quarter final second leg 18th march 1970

euro fairs cup newcastle vs pecsi dozsa second round FL 21 oct 1970

euro fairs cup newcastle vs fc porto second round second leg 2oth november 1969

thats just a few there is many many more all the above have tickets with them help on prices would be great guys/

PM sent.
Driver8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:39 pm 
Post subject:

I see some of the tickets mentioned have now been listed on ebay.

As predicted, the Dunfermline one already has a three figure bid.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225496644077?hash=item3480a5b9ed:g:92oAAOSwaAtkIHmH

Good luck with you sale.
Daviton

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:21 pm 
Post subject:

Driver8 wrote:
I see some of the tickets mentioned have now been listed on ebay.

As predicted, the Dunfermline one already has a three figure bid.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225496644077?hash=item3480a5b9ed:g:92oAAOSwaAtkIHmH

Good luck with you sale.

Thank you driver.
martino

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:34 pm 
Post subject:

Wow Newcastle v Ujpest ticket is up to £310 already.

A number of the other items are going well. As most of the action takes place in the last few minutes on E Bay it will be interesting to see where these lots end up.

Good luck Daviton.
Daviton

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:52 pm 
Post subject:

martino wrote:
Wow Newcastle v Ujpest ticket is up to £310 already.

A number of the other items are going well. As most of the action takes place in the last few minutes on E Bay it will be interesting to see where these lots end up.

Good luck Daviton.

thank you Martino
hibernian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:02 am 
Post subject:

Daviton
I notice that you have listed every item with £3.60 second class signed for postage which covers up to £50 in case of loss.
Obviously some tickets will go for lots more than that amount. I would advise sending those ones by special delivery. It will cost you just over £3 per item, over what you have listed, but in my opinion worth it for peace of mind.
I don’t know if you have opened up the auctions worldwide. If that is the case, hopefully you have used the Global shipping offered by eBay !
Similarly, a lot of general league tickets are listed at £3. If I was a buyer I would be put off by the postage charge.
You can get proof of posting from the PO at no charge, covers items up to £20. Therefore. £1 postage charge is considered fair to buyers.
Maybe worth considering if some cheaper items don’t sell !!
Good luck
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:34 pm 
Post subject:

hibernian wrote:
Daviton
I notice that you have listed every item with £3.60 second class signed for postage which covers up to £50 in case of loss.
Obviously some tickets will go for lots more than that amount. I would advise sending those ones by special delivery. It will cost you just over £3 per item, over what you have listed, but in my opinion worth it for peace of mind.
I don’t know if you have opened up the auctions worldwide. If that is the case, hopefully you have used the Global shipping offered by eBay !
Similarly, a lot of general league tickets are listed at £3. If I was a buyer I would be put off by the postage charge.
You can get proof of posting from the PO at no charge, covers items up to £20. Therefore. £1 postage charge is considered fair to buyers.
Good luck

Please note, the current charge for a 1st class small letter (ie good enough for sending a ticket) is 95p - that goes up to £1.10 next Monday 3rd April - a 16% increase. So anything sold on eBay this coming weekend will cost more to post next week. Beware!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Daviton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:03 pm 
Post subject:

hibernian wrote:
Daviton
Good luck

thank you hibernian the items that go for silly money i will send special delivery unfortunatley ebay wont let me change it as they have bids on
martino

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:48 pm 
Post subject:

OMG

Newcastle v Ujpest ticket is up to £567 with a day to go.

Some other tickets are also in excess of £100.

I knew I should have collected tickets all those years ago!!

Was your Grandad connected with football or just a canny collector?
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: