Football Programmes Centre

New Challenge can anyone help to identify the opposition?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New Challenge can anyone help to identify the opposition?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:40 pm 
Post subject: New Challenge can anyone help to identify the opposition?

This is the last one and it is a little bit tougher unless you know your players from the 1940's.

Jimmy Delaney in action for United at Maine Road in a "Home" match, i suspect maybe 1948-9[last season at Maine Road].

Birmingham City-Portsmouth-Middlesbrough-Liverpool-Chelsea-Everton???

Delaney only scored 4 in the Season and one was v Everton at Maine Road, but then this action is just what appears to be a shot which means little, some super sleuthing needed before it can be uploaded. Thank You and i hope another result like before Sherlock Smile

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:27 pm 

How about Man Unt 3 v Leeds Unt 1 ,, 7April 1947.? Player to far left , his socks could have a yellow top. Don’t think they are just dirty white. The away player tackling Delaney , shirt has got a feint line in middle could be two tone Leeds shirt? Then again, could be totally wrong Laughing
Bluebird54

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:35 pm 
Post subject: Re: New Challenge can anyone help to identify the opposition

Flaming Pie wrote:
How about Man Unt 3 v Leeds Unt 1 ,, 7April 1947.? Player to far left , his socks could have a yellow top. Don’t think they are just dirty white. The away player tackling Delaney , shirt has got a feint line in middle could be two tone Leeds shirt? Then again, could be totally wrong Laughing

Could be Blackpool 1 9 48, Delaney scored and Blackpool wore socks with Tangerine tops. They also had a large badge which you can just see on the player doing the sliding tackle-Remember those ?
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:47 pm 

Bluebird, that’s a great shout . Looks more likely than my Leeds suggestion. The sliding tackle! Met a famous exponent of it in a Chester pub a good few years back, Alex Parker. Had a good chat with him about the 1962-63 Everton title- winning team that he was a key member of . Nice bloke.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:50 am 
Post subject:

I was looking at this on my phone, unable to respond - Blackpool, I said to myself. Good work, Bluebird.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Bluebird54

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:27 am 
Post subject:

Interesting Flaming Pie’s story about meeting Alex Parker. It reminds me that in the late sixties I went into the King’s Head in Tamerton Foliot near Plymouth. Behind the bar was a gold dragon on a plinth and a couple of Welsh International Caps. The landlord was Pat Glover a prolific scorer for Grimsby in the 30’s and was able to have a chat with him. The dragon was presented to the Welsh players who had won the Home International Championship. I don’t suppose anyone has come across one of those at an auction.
Incidentally he had to play a couple of games in goal as Grimsby had run out of keepers, perhaps not surprising given the level of gbh allowed against them in those days.
Footyfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:55 pm 
Post subject:

Gone are the days when ex-footballers had to find a new career at the end of their playing days. One good contract and they will be made for life.

You will be hard pushed to meet top footballers serving behind the bar these days.

Many use to go into the Pub trade. The last player i can remember being a Publican was Peter Lorimer (Leeds) who ran the Commercial pub in Leeds for many years.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:12 pm 
Post subject:

So it's United v, Blackpool then FINAL ANSWER?

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
Bluebird54

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:03 pm 
Post subject:

Apart from the socks and badge their shirts have white collars which would be right for Blackpool but wrong for example for Wolves. Delaney scored after 43 mins, the players do not have mud on them which they certainly would have after playing that long later in the Season. Assuming of course that the photo is of him scoring.
Probably not enough for a court conviction but enough to be reasonably sure for our purposes !!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:23 pm 
Post subject:

And Wolves would have black shorts. Take Blackpool out and we are left with the away side in blue shirts with a badge, white shorts, and those 2-tone socks. Everton - no badge, wrong socks. Chelsea - no badge, wrong socks. Birmingham - usually a badge, wrong socks. So go back to Blackpool and they tick every box.
JJPROGRAMMES

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:32 pm 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
So it's United v, Blackpool then FINAL ANSWER?

Just a guess.....

Manchester United v Charlton FA Cup 5th Round 7/2/1948 Sherlock

I wont bore you with the full story of how I got to this.... but to cut a long story short....
United have striped socks on when Charlton normally wore striped socks at that time, so Charlton wore a change of socks, also Charlton had a badge on their kit around 47/48ish and the pitch is a bit heavy/muddy so maybe February.................. Like I say just a guess.......... Sherlock
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:41 pm 
Post subject:

Charlton wore white usually when changing kits.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:42 pm 
Post subject:

Home teams changed kits in cup ties so United would have been in a changed kit
JJPROGRAMMES

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:50 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks Pete Thumbs Up

Like I say just a guess... Which now seems more like a stab in the dark Sad
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:19 pm 
Post subject:

United v Charlton on the 7th February 1948 was not played at Maine Road. City were still in the Cup and they were drawn at home but as it was their ground United had to go elsewhere and they played at Leeds Road, Huddersfield Town F.C.. The ground the photo is on is Maine Road with the main stand to the left and the uncovered end behind the goals. Now I have not seen any images of Huddersfield Town FC from that period but it was no where the size of Maine Road that during that season alone had 72,000 in for the Derby and the following season had 82,950 for the visit of Arsenal to play United as well as 82,771 for the 1948-9 Cup Tie United v Bradford Park Avenue and 81,565 v Yeovil Town also in the Cup in 1948-9.

Looking like Blackpool then? Sherlock

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:12 am 
Post subject: definitely the last one!

I have one more Press Photo to identify the opposition.

United "at home" at Maine Road during 1947-8 or 1948-9 possible opponents could be Derby County-Preston North End-Liverpool-Bolton Wanderers in either Season, can anyone recognise the player in the White shirt tussling with United's Jack Rowley.

Thank You in advance!

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:52 am 
Post subject:

If they are black socks with white tops, Bolton would be favourites, though Derby sometimes did too but they had a badge on their shirts and I don't think the team here did.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:13 pm 
Post subject:

Looks like Leon Leuty (Derby) to me.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:44 am 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
Looks like Leon Leuty (Derby) to me.

Hi Steve,

Are you pretty sure about this as was there not a badge on the Derby shirt, but if you are convinced......

If it is Derby County then in 1947-8 they did not visit Maine Road until early April but if it is 1948-9 then Derby opened the Season in August as United's first home match, those clouds are not helping!

Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:15 pm 

The face is not clear , but is it Neil Franklin playing for Stoke City? Did Stoke play in white shirts (away strip ) during this era ?
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: