Football Programmes Centre

Roger Hunt RlP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Roger Hunt RlP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:04 am 
Post subject: Roger Hunt RlP

Sad to here about the death of Roger Hunt,, one of the 1966 heroes. Was lucky to have a chat with him a few years ago. He came across as a shy, modest person. A great goal scorer in that mid 1960s Liverpool title- winning team. I recall Bill Shankly once saying about him: “ Most of his goals were not tap ins, he bloody leathered the ball into the back of the net! “
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:32 pm 
Post subject:

Yet another boyhood hero gone. Probably the player that made me follow Liverpool when I was at school. Very sad news indeed. Sad
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:34 pm 
Post subject:

With 244 league goals, he outscored even Ian Rush which shows how prolific he was over the decade he was in red.

But for me one question remains. That goal in the 1966 World Cup Final. Geoff Hurst said after the game that his shot that bounced down off the cross bar must have been in or a predatory striker such as Roger Hunt would surely have got it over the line himself, instead of turning away with arms aloft.

My own feeling, which I am sure some of you agree with, is that VAR would have shown the ball not to have fully crossed the line, and thus Hunt made an error in judgment and Hurst an inaccurate assumption.

So what do you reckon?

Anyway, Roger Hunt was a great player and one of the best top flight post-war strikers, in one of the greatest teams. That can't be denied.

RIP, Roger.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: